system error log

Where is the 'system error log' to be found in WinME?
Or is it only present in WinXP?
Just another 'innocent' question.

Harry

In the Windows folder where it is called Faultlog.txt just as it is in
Win98 and 98SE but only present if you have enabled logging.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Where is the 'system error log' to be found in WinME?
> Or is it only present in WinXP?
> Just another 'innocent' question.

Thank you very much, Mike.
It invokes another question:
How do I enable logging in WinME?

Harry.

> In the Windows folder where it is called Faultlog.txt just as it is in
> Win98 and 98SE but only present if you have enabled logging.
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Where is the 'system error log' to be found in WinME?
> > Or is it only present in WinXP?
> > Just another 'innocent' question.

Harry,

The easiest method being to check the box "Log application errors to
FAULTLOG.TXT" on the Paranoia tab of TweakUI.

This can be done using regedit but a number of entries are involved the
more important of which is the need to create the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault
containing the string LogFile with Value data C:\WINDOWS\FAULTLOG.TXT
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Thank you very much, Mike.
> It invokes another question:
> How do I enable logging in WinME?

Mike:

That brings up more questions again:
Why does Paranoia consider this feature an "Illegal Operation"?
And, if it is an illegal operation, will it not create problems?
Will it be sufficient to check the box, or must I still create the registry
key you mention?
Hope you don't mind all these questions.

Harry.

> Harry,
>
> The easiest method being to check the box "Log application errors to
> FAULTLOG.TXT" on the Paranoia tab of TweakUI.
>
> This can be done using regedit but a number of entries are involved the
> more important of which is the need to create the key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Fault
> containing the string LogFile with Value data C:\WINDOWS\FAULTLOG.TXT
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much, Mike.
> > It invokes another question:
> > How do I enable logging in WinME?

Harry,

Illegal operations are errors and this thread is about where to find the
log of such errors. Hence my reference to TweakUI and the section named
"Illegal Operations" containing the option to "Log application errors to
FAULTLOG.TXT" so am somewhat surprised to see your question. I guess the
author of TweakUI feels that all the various check boxes and options
should be categorised in sections on the various tabs which he also
labels. Perhaps you'd prefer to see no section heading.

> Will it be sufficient to check the box, or must I still create the
> registry key you mention?

I gave you two options. Either or. Your choice entirely as to which you
choose to use if any. I'd recommend you use TweakUI which is what I use.
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> Mike:
>
> That brings up more questions again:
> Why does Paranoia consider this feature an "Illegal Operation"?
> And, if it is an illegal operation, will it not create problems?
> Will it be sufficient to check the box, or must I still create the
> registry key you mention?
> Hope you don't mind all these questions.

Harry, please use the wizard, as Mike suggests. It doesn't make typing
mistakes in the registry!

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Harry,
>
> Illegal operations are errors and this thread is about where to find the
> log of such errors. Hence my reference to TweakUI and the section named
> "Illegal Operations" containing the option to "Log application errors to
> FAULTLOG.TXT" so am somewhat surprised to see your question. I guess the
> author of TweakUI feels that all the various check boxes and options
> should be categorised in sections on the various tabs which he also
> labels. Perhaps you'd prefer to see no section heading.
>
> > Will it be sufficient to check the box, or must I still create the
> > registry key you mention?
>
> I gave you two options. Either or. Your choice entirely as to which you
> choose to use if any. I'd recommend you use TweakUI which is what I use.
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>
> > Mike:
> >
> > That brings up more questions again:
> > Why does Paranoia consider this feature an "Illegal Operation"?
> > And, if it is an illegal operation, will it not create problems?
> > Will it be sufficient to check the box, or must I still create the
> > registry key you mention?
> > Hope you don't mind all these questions.

Jack:

My last reply to Mike's last post somehow didn't make it to this news group.
In it I acknowledged to have used TweakUI, and I suppose that's what you
mean by "wizard", because it is much safer than a registry tweak.
The FAULTLOG.TXT folder is already doing its job for me.
Now I have a way to research the errors to find a remedy.
Thanks for for your and Mike's assistance.

Harry.

> Harry, please use the wizard, as Mike suggests. It doesn't make typing
> mistakes in the registry!

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> >
> > Illegal operations are errors and this thread is about where to find the
> > log of such errors. Hence my reference to TweakUI and the section named
> > "Illegal Operations" containing the option to "Log application errors to
> > FAULTLOG.TXT" so am somewhat surprised to see your question. I guess
the
> > author of TweakUI feels that all the various check boxes and options
> > should be categorised in sections on the various tabs which he also
> > labels. Perhaps you'd prefer to see no section heading.
> >
> > > Will it be sufficient to check the box, or must I still create the
> > > registry key you mention?
> >
> > I gave you two options. Either or. Your choice entirely as to which
you
> > choose to use if any. I'd recommend you use TweakUI which is what I
use.
> > --
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
> >
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Mike:
> > >
> > > That brings up more questions again:
> > > Why does Paranoia consider this feature an "Illegal Operation"?
> > > And, if it is an illegal operation, will it not create problems?
> > > Will it be sufficient to check the box, or must I still create the
> > > registry key you mention?
> > > Hope you don't mind all these questions.

Harry, I congratulate you for again exhibiting a learning curve that is not
flat.

> Jack:
>
> My last reply to Mike's last post somehow didn't make it to this news
group.
> In it I acknowledged to have used TweakUI, and I suppose that's what you
> mean by "wizard", because it is much safer than a registry tweak.
> The FAULTLOG.TXT folder is already doing its job for me.
> Now I have a way to research the errors to find a remedy.
> Thanks for for your and Mike's assistance.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message

<snip>

Thank you, Jack, I needed that.

Harry, old and must look out for the U-Turn.