Recent "Blue Screen" problems

Hi all:

For the last couple of weeks I've been having frequent "blue screen"
problems when attempting to use my browser (Firefox). Clicking on a
link - say, in email - or attempting to open the browser directly
sometimes results in a blue screen telling me WindowsME has encountered
a problem. I can usually just hit a key and return to the desktop or
email screen, but I can't get the browser open. The error codes
displayed have been eiher "Error: 06 : 090F : 000045EB" or "Error: 06 :
0177 : 0000305A". Sometimes Outlook Express also freezes up.

The only recent downloads have been Windows Updates and a slight
improvement to Firefox.

Anybody else encountering this issue, or have an idea about what's
causing the problem?

TIA.

Tom Young
7 answers Last reply
More about recent blue screen problems

    Tom,

    The problems you are seeing appear to be being caused by the 891711 hotfix
    with some users having major problems such as you are seeing and others,
    myself included, having none. The cause of the problems and BSODs seem to
    be related to the video chip and version of the driver on the box rather
    than the browser or other software installed.

    If you have installed the 891711 hotfix I would suggest that you consider
    uninstalling this patch and see if that resolves the problem. After you
    have uninstalled the patch check for, and if still present delete, the
    files KB891811.exe and Q891711.DLL which might remain in a folder named
    C:\Windows\System\KB891711. Alternatively use system restore to roll your
    system back to a checkpoint created before you downloaded and installed
    this patch.

    Out of curiosity what video card do you have installed in the affected box
    and what version driver is it using?
    In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> in

    > Out of curiosity what video card do you have installed in the affected
    > box and what version driver is it using?

    not sure about OP's hardware.

    mine's
    ati rage iic agp
    driver date: 03-18-1999

    details >> file version:
    4.11.2474

    there's more info on dianostics [tab]>> status[button]

    TomYoung wrote:

    > Hi all:
    >
    > For the last couple of weeks I've been having frequent "blue screen"
    > problems when attempting to use my browser (Firefox). Clicking on a
    > link - say, in email - or attempting to open the browser directly
    > sometimes results in a blue screen telling me WindowsME has encountered
    > a problem. I can usually just hit a key and return to the desktop or
    > email screen, but I can't get the browser open. The error codes
    > displayed have been eiher "Error: 06 : 090F : 000045EB" or "Error: 06 :
    > 0177 : 0000305A". Sometimes Outlook Express also freezes up.
    >
    > The only recent downloads have been Windows Updates and a slight
    > improvement to Firefox.
    >
    > Anybody else encountering this issue, or have an idea about what's
    > causing the problem?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Tom Young

    See my post titled "Problem with latest Millennium Edition MS Security
    Updates."

    --
    Regards from John Corliss

    Video card is an Xtasy Radeon 9600. Driver (ATI2DRAG.DRV) is from ATI
    Technologies, file version 4.14.01.9138.

    I completely removed Firefox and reinstalled version 1.0.1 to see if
    that'll help. If the blue screen continues to show up I'll follow your
    recommendations.

    Thanks.

    Very similar problem, though I usually get a blue screen. I have,
    however, occasionally seen the black screen, too, requiring a complete
    reboot.

    Thanks.

    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    "MsOsWin@anon.com" <MsOsWin@anon.com> in news:Xns961CE94127056MsOsWinAnon@207.46.248.16:

    > ati rage iic agp
    > driver date: 03-18-1999
    >
    > details >> file version:
    > 4.11.2474

    addendum.
    this is the same ver avail on ati, although there the file is dated 1998

Blue Screen Browsers Windows