Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? I have no real preference btw
NVIDA and ATI, just want best bang for buck. I would be getting one card
first then the other a few months later.

Has anyone had any experiance with SLI cards ie are they much quicker? I
have read the manafactures properganda. I would like to know from "real
use" if its really worth my trouble

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Might see if you can shop for any of these

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2295&p=1

del@here.com wrote:

>Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? I have no real
>preference btw NVIDA and ATI, just want best bang for buck. I would
>be getting one card first then the other a few months later.
>Has anyone had any experiance with SLI cards ie are they much
>quicker? I have read the manafactures properganda. I would like to
>know from "real use" if its really worth my trouble

I think this is a very good group to ask. But I think an
(alt.comp.periphs...) group would be even better. I don't have a clue,
sounds interesting. If you don't mind, if the sensible opinion isn't
given here, post a reply here to yourself if/when you find out. Good
luck.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

<del@here.com> wrote in message

" Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? I have no real preference
btw NVIDA and ATI, just want best bang for buck. "

Geforce 6600GT PCI-Express and upwards. ATI haven't released any yet.

Given the price of SLI motherboards, you can hardly call it bang-for-buck.

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> " Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? I have no real preference
> btw NVIDA and ATI, just want best bang for buck. "
>

> Geforce 6600GT PCI-Express and upwards. ATI haven't released any yet.

And not likely to, as far as I can see, given that it's Nvidia
technology based on the old 3dfx stuff that they bought some time ago.
I can't imagine that Ati would be that happy having to license core
technology from Nvidia. Still, if SLI takes off in a big way, then I
suppose they'd have to.

John Doe wrote:
> del@here.com wrote:
>

>>Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? I have no real
>>preference btw NVIDA and ATI, just want best bang for buck. I would
>>be getting one card first then the other a few months later.
>>Has anyone had any experiance with SLI cards ie are they much
>>quicker? I have read the manafactures properganda. I would like to
>>know from "real use" if its really worth my trouble
>

> I think this is a very good group to ask. But I think an
> (alt.comp.periphs...) group would be even better. I don't have a clue,
> sounds interesting. If you don't mind, if the sensible opinion isn't
> given here, post a reply here to yourself if/when you find out. Good
> luck.

AFAIK only Nvidia GT 6 series cards are SLI compatible at the moment.
ATI are not though they will work on an SLI board.

Ron

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

"CK" <CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> " Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? I have no real preference
>> btw NVIDA and ATI, just want best bang for buck. "
>>

>> Geforce 6600GT PCI-Express and upwards. ATI haven't released any yet.
>
> And not likely to, as far as I can see, given that it's Nvidia technology
> based on the old 3dfx stuff that they bought some time ago. I can't
> imagine that Ati would be that happy having to license core technology
> from Nvidia. Still, if SLI takes off in a big way, then I suppose they'd
> have to.

I think your right. But ATI will probably release a dual-chipset card that
works almost the same, but on one board. At least that would make sence. I
could imagine the cooler it would need though. They would probably use
bothsides of the board! That would make one fat videocard that would be
PHAT!

>> Given the price of SLI motherboards, you can hardly call it
>> bang-for-buck.

I hear ya... Its better to buy 1 6800GT than SLI 6600GT's. Performance is
the same too. Then a 6800GT down the line when needed. But it wont be
because new generation boards will be released by the time games realy use
its power!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:32:13 GMT, "Clob"
<clobercow@verizon.net> wrote:

>"CK" <CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> " Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? I have no real preference
>>> btw NVIDA and ATI, just want best bang for buck. "
>>>

>>> Geforce 6600GT PCI-Express and upwards. ATI haven't released any yet.
>>
>> And not likely to, as far as I can see, given that it's Nvidia technology
>> based on the old 3dfx stuff that they bought some time ago. I can't
>> imagine that Ati would be that happy having to license core technology
>> from Nvidia. Still, if SLI takes off in a big way, then I suppose they'd
>> have to.
>
>I think your right. But ATI will probably release a dual-chipset card that
>works almost the same, but on one board. At least that would make sence. I
>could imagine the cooler it would need though. They would probably use
>bothsides of the board! That would make one fat videocard that would be
>PHAT!

Gigabyte's already making a dual core 6600 based on SLI,
that is, on same PCB "videocard". I wouldn't expect ATI to
jump on SLI, they seem to be having enough trouble getting
single cards made, let alone anything fancier.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 15:58, CK
<CatKiller@nospamplease.Bigfoot.com> wrote:

> [SLI is] nVidia technology based on the old 3DFX stuff that they bought
> some time ago.

SLI, in nVidia cards, is an acronym for "Scaleable Link Interface;" in 3DFX
cards, it is an acronym for "Scan Line Interleave." The two are not the
same thing. That they both share the same initials is an invention of the
nVidia marketing droids -- very the same people that did all the dirty
tricks behind the GeForce FX series.

> [ATi is] not likely to [develop SLI-like technology], as far as I can
> see...

ATi Multi-Render (AMR) is ATi's response to SLI, and, though it's going to
be implemented later than SLI, rumor has it that it's going to do away
with some of the major annoyances people see with dual-6800
configurations.

> I can't imagine that Ati would be that happy having to license core
> technology from nVidia.

nVidia cannot possibly hope to have any legal rights over any technology
that allows two graphics cards to split the processing load evenly when
drawing a frame, even in a country where the intellectual property
legislation is so backwards as to allow Microsoft to patent sudo -- the
UNIX superuser do command. To my knowledge, they haven't tried to do so,
either. Besides that, I wouldn't think that such licensing issues would
carry across the US-Canadian borders, but, then again, I have no
experience in matters like this.

> ATi hasn't released any [SLI-like cards] yet.

I believe that the X850 will have AMR capabilities included. If not, the
R520 series of cards will certainly carry this feature.
--
Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information
available.

- Benford's Law of Controversy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

:

> Anyone tell me what SLI cards I can get ATT? ...just want best bang
> for buck.

SLI and 'best bang for the buck' do not go hand in hand. SLI is an
expensive indulgence.
--
Mac Cool

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I can get a SLI motherboard for the same price as a top end socket 939
board. Hardly expensive

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 12:09:37 GMT, del@here.com wrote:

>I can get a SLI motherboard for the same price as a top end socket 939
>board. Hardly expensive

Wouldn't it be more accurate to state that it makes BOTH
options expensive?

I tend to feel the higher pricing of the SLI board might be
worthwhile though, that with the limited number of PCI slots
to be available on SLI boards it'd be better to spend a few
$ more. This can be an attempt to get the best integrated
features possible, since fewer PCI slots means less
opportunity to upgrade as many of those features later.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>> SLI is an expensive indulgence.

> No Pci express cards cost the same as AGP cards

Ok, well you can only do SLI with Nvidia cards and the best 'bang for the
SLI buck' right now is:

(1X) ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe $275
(2X) eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GT PCI Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/TV-Out &
Dual DVI $1300 ($650 each)

You could go with the 6800 ($400 each), but using two 6800s would be only
marginally better than a single 6800 Ultra. Two 6600GTs will be about the
same a single 6800GT. If you're going to go SLI, you actually get the most
'bang for your buck' by using the highest end products. So if you can
afford it, the 6800 Ultra ($900 each) would be your best choice.

It would be a waste not to match it with the top of the line CPU, tack on
another $1000; and top of the line memory, add another $600 for 2GB and
you will be able to play Doom3 at 1600x1200.
--
Mac Cool