Internet Explorer View question

Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
(ISO) showing just above it.

This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem with
Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the consequences
thereof. All seems to be working just fine.

I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb
11 answers Last reply
More about internet explorer view question

    I've got Western European Windows.

    Shane

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
    > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
    > (ISO) showing just above it.
    >
    > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
    with
    > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
    consequences
    > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    >
    > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
    > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
    > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
    difference?
    > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)

    But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
    'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.

    > Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?

    Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV

    Mart

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
    > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
    > (ISO) showing just above it.
    >
    > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
    > with
    > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
    > consequences
    > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    >
    > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
    > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
    > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
    > difference?
    > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    Thanks Mart!!! Thank Smart!!! I looked all over in the Win Help and did
    not see that.......duh. I looked in all the wrong places, like View and
    Menu and thought I had looked for "encoding"......must have missed that one.
    Heirloom, old and must get better mileage

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)
    >
    > But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
    > 'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.
    >
    > > Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
    >
    > Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    > > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
    set
    > > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
    > > (ISO) showing just above it.
    > >
    > > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
    > > with
    > > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
    > > consequences
    > > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    > >
    > > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
    > > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
    based
    > > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
    > > difference?
    > > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    Sorry HL, I'd better go back to bed - only got up to answer the call of
    nature - Oh! and answer your call too <g> Amazing what a couple of hours
    sleep can do.

    Mart

    > Thanks Mart!!! Thank Smart!!! I looked all over in the Win Help and did
    > not see that.......duh. I looked in all the wrong places, like View and
    > Menu and thought I had looked for "encoding"......must have missed that
    > one.
    > Heirloom, old and must get better mileage
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)
    >>
    >> But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
    >> 'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.
    >>
    >> > Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
    >>
    >> Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    >> > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    >> > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
    > set
    >> > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western
    >> > European
    >> > (ISO) showing just above it.
    >> >
    >> > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
    >> > with
    >> > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
    >> > consequences
    >> > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    >> >
    >> > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to
    >> > no
    >> > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
    > based
    >> > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
    >> > difference?
    >> > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Sorry HL, I'd better go back to bed - only got up to answer the call
    > of nature - Oh! and answer your call too <g> Amazing what a couple of
    > hours sleep can do.

    Or lack of in my case Mart. :-)
    --
    Mike

    LOL

    Mike - you don't realize how close you are - it's been a funny few nights
    here too. Grey cells are being a bit hyper at the moment <g>

    Mart

    > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry HL, I'd better go back to bed - only got up to answer the call
    >> of nature - Oh! and answer your call too <g> Amazing what a couple of
    >> hours sleep can do.
    >
    > Or lack of in my case Mart. :-)
    > --
    > Mike

    Hi HL - I've obviously got more time on my hands than I thought.

    Your 'encoding' in IE issue has prompted me to look at 'encoding' in OE.

    Have a look at the Help pages in OE where a slightly different explanation
    is given.

    Life gets tedious - don't it?

    (Now, who wrote/sang that?)

    Mart

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Mart!!! Thank Smart!!! I looked all over in the Win Help and did
    > not see that.......duh. I looked in all the wrong places, like View and
    > Menu and thought I had looked for "encoding"......must have missed that
    > one.
    > Heirloom, old and must get better mileage
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)
    >>
    >> But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
    >> 'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.
    >>
    >> > Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
    >>
    >> Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    >> > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    >> > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
    > set
    >> > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western
    >> > European
    >> > (ISO) showing just above it.
    >> >
    >> > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
    >> > with
    >> > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
    >> > consequences
    >> > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    >> >
    >> > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to
    >> > no
    >> > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
    > based
    >> > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
    >> > difference?
    >> > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    That's an interesting question, just went to have a look at my view but
    this was in Thunderbird, Auto-Detect (Off) and a tick by Western
    (ISO-8859-1)
    I'll have to have a look what it is in OE/IE be back later <g>
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
    > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
    > (ISO) showing just above it.
    >
    > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem with
    > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the consequences
    > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    >
    > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
    > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
    > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
    > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    Hi Heirloom just been to look in IE/OE and both have Unicode (UTF-8) ticked.
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
    > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
    > (ISO) showing just above it.
    >
    > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem with
    > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the consequences
    > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    >
    > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
    > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
    > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
    > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    I think Jack nailed this one......the setting is somewhat dictated by the
    site you are viewing, as his changed on its' own from one site to another.
    It's no biggie (I don't think), at least, nothing to pop a vein in your
    forehead over.
    Heirloom, old and no longer strains that hard

    "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Heirloom just been to look in IE/OE and both have Unicode (UTF-8)
    ticked.
    > Joan
    >
    > heirloom wrote:
    > > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
    > > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
    set
    > > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
    > > (ISO) showing just above it.
    > >
    > > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
    with
    > > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
    consequences
    > > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
    > >
    > > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
    > > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
    based
    > > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
    difference?
    > > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

    OK I saw Jack's post but to be honest it is something I didn't give any
    thought to until you brought the subject up <g> like you I will go back
    to not thinking about it <vbg>
    Joan

    heirloom wrote:
    > I think Jack nailed this one......the setting is somewhat dictated by the
    > site you are viewing, as his changed on its' own from one site to another.
    > It's no biggie (I don't think), at least, nothing to pop a vein in your
    > forehead over.
    > Heirloom, old and no longer strains that hard

Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows