Internet Explorer View question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 17, 2005 10:57:49 PM

Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
(ISO) showing just above it.

This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem with
Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the consequences
thereof. All seems to be working just fine.

I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb
March 18, 2005 6:55:30 AM

I've got Western European Windows.

Shane

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
> What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
> on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
> (ISO) showing just above it.
>
> This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
with
> Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
consequences
> thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
>
> I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
> avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
> systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
difference?
> Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:23:10 AM

Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)

But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.

> Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?

Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV

Mart

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
> What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
> on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
> (ISO) showing just above it.
>
> This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
> with
> Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
> consequences
> thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
>
> I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
> avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
> systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
> difference?
> Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

March 18, 2005 8:23:11 AM

Thanks Mart!!! Thank Smart!!! I looked all over in the Win Help and did
not see that.......duh. I looked in all the wrong places, like View and
Menu and thought I had looked for "encoding"......must have missed that one.
Heirloom, old and must get better mileage

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)
>
> But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
> 'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.
>
> > Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
>
> Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV
>
> Mart
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
> > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
set
> > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
> > (ISO) showing just above it.
> >
> > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
> > with
> > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
> > consequences
> > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
> >
> > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
> > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
based
> > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
> > difference?
> > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:43:06 AM

Sorry HL, I'd better go back to bed - only got up to answer the call of
nature - Oh! and answer your call too <g> Amazing what a couple of hours
sleep can do.

Mart

> Thanks Mart!!! Thank Smart!!! I looked all over in the Win Help and did
> not see that.......duh. I looked in all the wrong places, like View and
> Menu and thought I had looked for "encoding"......must have missed that
> one.
> Heirloom, old and must get better mileage
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)
>>
>> But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
>> 'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.
>>
>> > Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
>>
>> Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
>> > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
>> > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
> set
>> > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western
>> > European
>> > (ISO) showing just above it.
>> >
>> > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
>> > with
>> > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
>> > consequences
>> > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
>> >
>> > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to
>> > no
>> > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
> based
>> > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
>> > difference?
>> > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:25:43 PM

Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

> Sorry HL, I'd better go back to bed - only got up to answer the call
> of nature - Oh! and answer your call too <g> Amazing what a couple of
> hours sleep can do.

Or lack of in my case Mart. :-)
--
Mike
Anonymous

LOL

Mike - you don't realize how close you are - it's been a funny few nights
here too. Grey cells are being a bit hyper at the moment <g>

Mart

> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry HL, I'd better go back to bed - only got up to answer the call
>> of nature - Oh! and answer your call too <g> Amazing what a couple of
>> hours sleep can do.
>
> Or lack of in my case Mart. :-)
> --
> Mike

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:47:30 PM

Hi HL - I've obviously got more time on my hands than I thought.

Your 'encoding' in IE issue has prompted me to look at 'encoding' in OE.

Have a look at the Help pages in OE where a slightly different explanation
is given.

Life gets tedious - don't it?

(Now, who wrote/sang that?)

Mart

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Mart!!! Thank Smart!!! I looked all over in the Win Help and did
> not see that.......duh. I looked in all the wrong places, like View and
> Menu and thought I had looked for "encoding"......must have missed that
> one.
> Heirloom, old and must get better mileage
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Good question HL - just looked at mine and it's set for Unicode (UFT-8)
>>
>> But in the IE Help pages (under the Index tab - encoding, language) it
>> 'suggests' that it is set to Auto-Select.
>>
>> > Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
>>
>> Probably yes - and probably not <g> YMMV
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
>> > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
>> > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
> set
>> > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western
>> > European
>> > (ISO) showing just above it.
>> >
>> > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
>> > with
>> > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
>> > consequences
>> > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
>> >
>> > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to
>> > no
>> > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
> based
>> > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
>> > difference?
>> > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:32:40 PM

That's an interesting question, just went to have a look at my view but
this was in Thunderbird, Auto-Detect (Off) and a tick by Western
(ISO-8859-1)
I'll have to have a look what it is in OE/IE be back later <g>
Joan

heirloom wrote:
> Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
> What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
> on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
> (ISO) showing just above it.
>
> This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem with
> Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the consequences
> thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
>
> I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
> avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
> systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
> Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:08:40 AM

Hi Heirloom just been to look in IE/OE and both have Unicode (UTF-8) ticked.
Joan

heirloom wrote:
> Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
> What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently set
> on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
> (ISO) showing just above it.
>
> This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem with
> Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the consequences
> thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
>
> I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
> avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix based
> systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a difference?
> Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:08:41 AM

I think Jack nailed this one......the setting is somewhat dictated by the
site you are viewing, as his changed on its' own from one site to another.
It's no biggie (I don't think), at least, nothing to pop a vein in your
forehead over.
Heirloom, old and no longer strains that hard

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Heirloom just been to look in IE/OE and both have Unicode (UTF-8)
ticked.
> Joan
>
> heirloom wrote:
> > Internet Explorer, View, Encoding>
> > What should be the proper choice here? My slide out menu is currently
set
> > on Unicode [UTF-8], with Western European (Windows) and Western European
> > (ISO) showing just above it.
> >
> > This was not an issue until I tried to duplicate Eileen's Greek problem
with
> > Adaware and now I am not sure how it was previously set or the
consequences
> > thereof. All seems to be working just fine.
> >
> > I tried to find info on this in my books and through Google/Groups to no
> > avail. I did notice that Unicode seemed to be related to Linux/Unix
based
> > systems...not much else. Am I OK here, or does it really make a
difference?
> > Heirloom, old and feeling really dumb

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:41:28 PM

OK I saw Jack's post but to be honest it is something I didn't give any
thought to until you brought the subject up <g> like you I will go back
to not thinking about it <vbg>
Joan

!