Faster Response when dragging to Taskbar?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

(I saw no likely clues when i googled:
drag toolbar faster respond registry milliseconds)

i like to drag URLs from address/location bar in browser down to taskbar, and up to desktop or or something else in the taskbar.
i'd like the minimize and other Windows' actions (in response to dragging) to happen faster.

TIA...
4 answers Last reply
More about faster response dragging taskbar
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    MsOsWin@anon.com wrote:
    > (I saw no likely clues when i googled: drag toolbar faster respond
    > registry milliseconds)
    >
    > i like to drag URLs from address/location bar in browser down to
    > taskbar, and up to desktop or or something else in the taskbar. i'd
    > like the minimize and other Windows' actions (in response to
    > dragging) to happen faster.
    >
    > TIA...

    What?

    Rick
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I *think* s/he is talking about when you drag something to a taskbar
    button, the window pertaining to that button doesn't respond quickly
    enough to suit him/her. Simple example: Open two folders in Windows
    Explorer--two windows, different folders. Maximize both. Create a test
    file in the top window (right-click>New>Text Document.) Now drag a file
    from the top window to the taskbar button for the other window. Hover
    for a moment if necessary, and the window pertaining to that button is
    brought to focus, and you can then drop the file there. (Or use
    right-click/drag and you'll get the drop choices.)

    As far as I know, there isn't any built-in delay to that function. On my
    system, the delay can be almost infinitesimal or it can take a
    significant couple of beats to respond. Probably has more to do with
    performance specs of the system and what you're dragging from and where
    to, than anything else. On the other hand, when you drag to the Start
    button, it takes substantially longer to respond. Whether that's a
    special case that *does* have a delay hard-coded in, or it simply takes
    longer to go jump through that particular hoop, I don't know. I suspect
    it's the latter.

    Not sure what OP is talking about when dragging to the Desktop is
    involved, since I find no way of doing that unless the Desktop is
    already at least partly visible.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > MsOsWin@anon.com wrote:
    > > (I saw no likely clues when i googled: drag toolbar faster respond
    > > registry milliseconds)
    > >
    > > i like to drag URLs from address/location bar in browser down to
    > > taskbar, and up to desktop or or something else in the taskbar. i'd
    > > like the minimize and other Windows' actions (in response to
    > > dragging) to happen faster.
    > >
    > > TIA...
    > >

    > What?
    >

    > Rick
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > I *think* s/he is talking about when you drag something to a taskbar
    > button, the window pertaining to that button doesn't respond quickly
    > enough to suit him/her. Simple example: Open two folders in Windows
    > Explorer--two windows, different folders. Maximize both. Create a test
    > file in the top window (right-click>New>Text Document.) Now drag a file
    > from the top window to the taskbar button for the other window. Hover
    > for a moment if necessary, and the window pertaining to that button is
    > brought to focus, and you can then drop the file there. (Or use
    > right-click/drag and you'll get the drop choices.)
    >
    > As far as I know, there isn't any built-in delay to that function. On my
    > system, the delay can be almost infinitesimal or it can take a
    > significant couple of beats to respond. Probably has more to do with
    > performance specs of the system and what you're dragging from and where
    > to, than anything else. On the other hand, when you drag to the Start
    > button, it takes substantially longer to respond. Whether that's a
    > special case that *does* have a delay hard-coded in, or it simply takes
    > longer to go jump through that particular hoop, I don't know. I suspect
    > it's the latter.
    >
    > Not sure what OP is talking about when dragging to the Desktop is
    > involved, since I find no way of doing that unless the Desktop is
    > already at least partly visible.

    ahh... I've always used small windows for that sortof thing.

    Rick
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    What you seek may be at one of these sites. if anywhere...

    ........Start.....of quote of Glee.....
    Most of these *should* work:

    100 Registry Hacks -
    http://members.aol.com/axcel216/reg.htm

    ActiveWindows - Windows Registry -
    http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

    Dave W (reg hacks) -
    http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~flibble/index.html

    Win95 Registry Shrinking -
    http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~flibble/regsmall.html

    Guenter Born Reg page -
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Guenter_Born/
    http://www.borncity.de/

    John Woram's Home Page -
    http://www.woram.com/

    RegEdit: Windows Registry Guide -
    http://www.regedit.com/
    http://www.winguides.com/

    Windows Registry Forums -
    http://www.regedit.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/wwwthreads.pl

    Registry Tips-Cerelli -
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/registry_tips.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/app_info/regedit.htm

    Registry -Henri Le Boeuf -
    http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/registry.htm

    Win95 Annoyances (Registry) -
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry

    Chapter 31 Win98 Registry -
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Win98/Reskit/Part6/wrkc31.asp

    Valuable registry hacks -
    http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/regtips.html
    http://wintrouble.net/test/

    ....glen
    ........End.........

    PLEASE do not inform Glee that I have posted this! Some may not be
    current. Naturally, have your virus checker up-to-date in it's defs,
    too, if THAT'S what he was worried about!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    <MsOsWin@anon.com> wrote in message
    | (I saw no likely clues when i googled:
    | drag toolbar faster respond registry milliseconds)
    |
    | i like to drag URLs from address/location bar in browser down to
    taskbar, and up to desktop or or something else in the taskbar.
    | i'd like the minimize and other Windows' actions (in response to
    dragging) to happen faster.

    | TIA...

Taskbar Microsoft Windows