Using a new motherboard with W98

I'm considering an Asus A7v400-MX. The manual states: "This motherboard
supports Windows 2000/XP operating systems." Does this mean that the
mobo will not work at all with my present W98, or even W98SE or WME?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about using motherboard

    "Ray K" <raykosXXX@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > I'm considering an Asus A7v400-MX. The manual states: "This motherboard
    > supports Windows 2000/XP operating systems." Does this mean that the mobo
    > will not work at all with my present W98, or even W98SE or WME?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you read the drivers list at the following url, it appears that Windows
    98 is NOT supported. It also appears that 98SE and ME ARE supported. That
    is, at least there are drivers for the chipset (via 4 in 1), LAN, audio and
    graphics. That is a good sign, if you want to use 98SE or ME. I wouldn't
    chance it though, if you have the original windows 98. Windows 98 might
    work with the 98SE drivers, but it's not worth the risk to find out. Plan
    to use 98SE, or consider upgrading to Windows XP, or consider another
    mainboard if you MUST use the original windows 98. -Dave

    http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V400-MX

    Dave C. wrote:

    > "Ray K" <raykosXXX@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> I'm considering an Asus A7v400-MX. The manual states: "This
    >> motherboard supports Windows 2000/XP operating systems." Does this
    >> mean that the mobo will not work at all with my present W98, or
    >> even W98SE or WME?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >

    > If you read the drivers list at the following url, it appears that
    > Windows 98 is NOT supported. It also appears that 98SE and ME ARE
    > supported. That is, at least there are drivers for the chipset (via
    > 4 in 1), LAN, audio and graphics. That is a good sign, if you want
    > to use 98SE or ME. I wouldn't chance it though, if you have the
    > original windows 98. Windows 98 might work with the 98SE drivers,
    > but it's not worth the risk to find out. Plan to use 98SE, or
    > consider upgrading to Windows XP, or consider another mainboard if
    > you MUST use the original windows 98. -Dave
    >
    > http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V400-MX

    Thanks, Dave, for pointing me to that link. I had seen it before posting
    this topic, but I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the OS, or
    understand the conflict between the claim for W2000/xp support and the
    great number of downloads that do support earlier version of Windows.

    Ray

    In article Ray K says...
    > I'm considering an Asus A7v400-MX. The manual states: "This motherboard
    > supports Windows 2000/XP operating systems." Does this mean that the
    > mobo will not work at all with my present W98, or even W98SE or WME?

    THe motherboard WILL work but they no longer supply drivers so you'll
    have to go hunting for them.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    Conor wrote:
    > In article Ray K says...
    >
    >>I'm considering an Asus A7v400-MX. The manual states: "This motherboard
    >>supports Windows 2000/XP operating systems." Does this mean that the
    >>mobo will not work at all with my present W98, or even W98SE or WME?
    >>

    > THe motherboard WILL work but they no longer supply drivers so you'll
    > have to go hunting for them.

    Thanks for the encouraging words. But sounds like a challenge getting
    old drivers for a new mobo, even from those sites specializing them.
    Then if there's problems, I have no way of knowing for certain if it's
    due to the drivers or something else.

    Actually, many of the drivers Asus has available for d/l for this mbob
    apply to all operating systems. So I'll have to study them more closely
    and see if the ones that are only for ME and 2000 are ones that I'd
    really need.

    Ray

Homebuilt Hardware Windows 2000 Motherboards Systems