IE problem in ME

Leslie

In a case pretty much of the blind leading the blind, I volunteered to try
to fix the computer of two friends, which computer runs Windows ME. Their
summary of their situation was that, (only) in recent times, they couldn't
"get onto the Internet". (They have a broadband connection.) That happened
after they had been infected by the Bropia.M worm. They had been running
NAV, but told me that it hadn't prevented the virus from getting into their
computer and, what's more, the virus had corrupted NAV, so that they had
decided to try to delete NAV for the purpose of replacing it.

Before doing anything else, I deleted what was left of NAV, following
instructions from Symantec on how to do that. I'm pretty confident it's all
deleted now. I next downloaded to my computer and copied to theirs with a
USB key a virus removal tool (McAfee's Stinger) and two anti-spyware
programs (Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware). The virus removal tool,
which includes among its targets the Bropia.M worm, found nothing untoward.
The anti-spyware programs found over 700 items, which I am satisfied I
eradicated completely.

Their computer (a laptop) has a built-in dial-up modem. I decided to see
what would happen if I tried to connect to my ISP using the built-in modem.
Well, I could connect to my ISP, but what I couldn't do was to get any Web
pages to display when using IE. I found various MS documents dealing with
such situations (230206, 241344, 274498 and 293402). However, although I
tried to follow them as best I could, nothing I did got pages to display in
IE again.

The friends asked that, if I couldn't find a solution to their problem, I
back up certain listed files and folders and then re-install their software
for them, starting with ME. I have some (faint) hope, however, that things
might be fixed if I uninstalled only IE and then reinstalled it.

However, I have a problem about re-installing IE. As I understand the
relevant page at the MS site, what one does is to download from the site a
setup file and then run that file while on the Internet. I'm afraid that
what that setup file will do when I run it is to try to install IE on MY
computer. I certainly don't want that. I already have IE running on my
computer. All I want to download to my computer is a copy of IE which I can
then copy to their computer and install.

In the result, I've got two questions.

1. Can anyone refer me to additional documents setting out steps which might
get IE working again without the need for doing a re-install?

2. Can anyone tell me how to download a complete copy of IE to my computer
for copying to the other computer and installing there?

Thanks in advance.

run the LSPFix from here
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

That should get the DUN working properly again

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Leslie" <leslieunderscorekatz@agd.nsw.gov.au> wrote in message
> In a case pretty much of the blind leading the blind, I volunteered to try
> to fix the computer of two friends, which computer runs Windows ME. Their
> summary of their situation was that, (only) in recent times, they couldn't
> "get onto the Internet". (They have a broadband connection.) That happened
> after they had been infected by the Bropia.M worm. They had been running
> NAV, but told me that it hadn't prevented the virus from getting into
> their computer and, what's more, the virus had corrupted NAV, so that they
> had decided to try to delete NAV for the purpose of replacing it.
>
> Before doing anything else, I deleted what was left of NAV, following
> instructions from Symantec on how to do that. I'm pretty confident it's
> all deleted now. I next downloaded to my computer and copied to theirs
> with a USB key a virus removal tool (McAfee's Stinger) and two
> anti-spyware programs (Spybot - Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware). The virus
> removal tool, which includes among its targets the Bropia.M worm, found
> nothing untoward. The anti-spyware programs found over 700 items, which I
> am satisfied I eradicated completely.
>
> Their computer (a laptop) has a built-in dial-up modem. I decided to see
> what would happen if I tried to connect to my ISP using the built-in
> modem. Well, I could connect to my ISP, but what I couldn't do was to get
> any Web pages to display when using IE. I found various MS documents
> dealing with such situations (230206, 241344, 274498 and 293402). However,
> although I tried to follow them as best I could, nothing I did got pages
> to display in IE again.
>
> The friends asked that, if I couldn't find a solution to their problem, I
> back up certain listed files and folders and then re-install their
> software for them, starting with ME. I have some (faint) hope, however,
> that things might be fixed if I uninstalled only IE and then reinstalled
> it.
>
> However, I have a problem about re-installing IE. As I understand the
> relevant page at the MS site, what one does is to download from the site a
> setup file and then run that file while on the Internet. I'm afraid that
> what that setup file will do when I run it is to try to install IE on MY
> computer. I certainly don't want that. I already have IE running on my
> computer. All I want to download to my computer is a copy of IE which I
> can then copy to their computer and install.
>
> In the result, I've got two questions.
>
> 1. Can anyone refer me to additional documents setting out steps which
> might get IE working again without the need for doing a re-install?
>
> 2. Can anyone tell me how to download a complete copy of IE to my computer
> for copying to the other computer and installing there?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Leslie

Thanks for replying, Noel.

I tried LSPFix and, when that didn't get things going, I next tried
Winsock2fix, which I had also seen suggested as a possible solution, but
which met with a similar lack of success.

> [...]
>> it.
>>
>> However, I have a problem about re-installing IE. As I understand the
>> relevant page at the MS site, what one does is to download from the site
>> a setup file and then run that file while on the Internet. I'm afraid
>> that what that setup file will do when I run it is to try to install IE
>> on MY computer. I certainly don't want that. I already have IE running on
>> my computer. All I want to download to my computer is a copy of IE which
>> I can then copy to their computer and install.
>>
>> In the result, I've got two questions.
>>
>> 1. Can anyone refer me to additional documents setting out steps which
>> might get IE working again without the need for doing a re-install?
>>
>> 2. Can anyone tell me how to download a complete copy of IE to my
>> computer for copying to the other computer and installing there?

Try this:

How to uninstall and reinstall TCP/IP
http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/windows_9x_nt/dialers/dun_1.2/1039.how.to.randr.tcp-ip.psc.html

Zee

> Thanks for replying, Noel.
>
> I tried LSPFix and, when that didn't get things going, I next tried
> Winsock2fix, which I had also seen suggested as a possible solution, but
> which met with a similar lack of success.
>
> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > run the LSPFix from here
> > http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
> >
> > That should get the DUN working properly again
> >
> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >
> > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
> >
> > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
NG's