antivirus and firewall

I just wanted to ask the experts what antivirus programs and firewalls you
use. Are they idiot proof (for me) or do they need an expert to configure
them correctly? I have a cable modem and my Trend Micro Internet Security
subscription will be
expiring soon.

Thanks,
Bonnie
6 answers Last reply
More about antivirus firewall

    Trend Micro is a highly rated service, and if its bundled AV/firewall has
    been working well for you, I suggest you continue.

    I can also recommend the Computer Associates one-year free trial bundle,
    available here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsme/firewall.mspx
    This bundle is superb for the casual user.

    For a boot-from-floppy and run-under-DOS tool, use F-Prot:
    http://www.f-prot.com/index.html
    Their Windows tools are very good, also.

    These three organizations review and rate AV tools:

    The Virus Bulletin
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

    ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

    AV-Test
    http://www.av-test.org/

    IMO, the most highly rated AV tool for WinME is NOD32.
    The free Zone Alarm personal firewall is just fine for almost every user.
    I strongly urge you to avoid any Symantec AV tool or firewall due to its
    often noted problems with System Restore and Live Update, under WinME.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------

    In news:%23nyuis7KFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> had this to say:

    > Trend Micro is a highly rated service, and if its bundled AV/firewall
    > has been working well for you, I suggest you continue.
    >
    > I can also recommend the Computer Associates one-year free trial
    > bundle, available here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsme/firewall.mspx
    > This bundle is superb for the casual user.
    >
    > For a boot-from-floppy and run-under-DOS tool, use F-Prot:
    > http://www.f-prot.com/index.html
    > Their Windows tools are very good, also.
    >
    > These three organizations review and rate AV tools:
    >
    > The Virus Bulletin
    > http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/
    >
    > ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
    > http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml
    >
    > AV-Test
    > http://www.av-test.org/
    >

    > IMO, the most highly rated AV tool for WinME is NOD32.
    > The free Zone Alarm personal firewall is just fine for almost every
    > user. I strongly urge you to avoid any Symantec AV tool or firewall
    > due to its often noted problems with System Restore and Live Update,
    > under WinME.

    This is just in addition to Jack's advice as you used a plural. Then again I
    don't consider myself anything close to being an expert as there's still
    much that I have to learn. I have threaded it under Jack's response just
    because it ties in with some of what he said.

    I use Kaspersky AntiVirus and Outpost Firewall. I have a collection of links
    that I give out when asked for this sort of stuff. I all avoid Symantec
    tools other than their Ghost application. I've edited my list to remove the
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta because, well, it won't won't work on 9x/ME at
    this point in time though I hope someday that they make it so that it will.
    All of these are free solutions that should provide you with a good degree
    of security if properly configured, updated, and used as intended though no
    one application or collection of application is better than awareness and
    education.

    Firewalls:
    www.agnitum.com - Outpost Personal Firewall
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm - Sygate Personal Firewall
    www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html - Kerio Personal Firewall

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    www.clamwin.com - ClamWin¹
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust*

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a²
    http://swatit.org/

    All of these are free for home use. All of them are acceptable solutions to
    your security needs.
    ¹ Does not provide full real-time scanning engine.

    *My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
    the page says this:
    "Free software offer expires 2/1/05."
    The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
    believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
    your own.

    Galen

    AFAIK, the Free eTrust AV offer for WinME from Computer Associates has been
    extended to August, 2005.
    The bundle with the firewall is no longer available to Win9X, but continues
    for XP.

    In news:uwM15a$KFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> had this to say:

    > AFAIK, the Free eTrust AV offer for WinME from Computer Associates
    > has been extended to August, 2005.
    > The bundle with the firewall is no longer available to Win9X, but
    > continues for XP.

    Jack,

    That's how I had understood it as well though for the life of me (not ME by
    the way ;) sorry, it's a good day for puns) I can't seem to find
    confirmation on the page(s) at eTrust's site. More important, to me, is that
    I avoid recommending suites for protection. I'm of the opinion that if one
    component goes down due to malware of some sort the rest become moot. A
    number of people seem to like them though but I am grateful for the added
    information and will save that too and amend my posts where needed.

    Much thanks.

    Galen

    Thanks Galen and Jack. Lots of stuff to learn from your links, and post's.

    Bonnie

> [...]
    > http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    >
    > Trojan:
    > www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a²
    > http://swatit.org/
    >
    > All of these are free for home use. All of them are acceptable solutions
    > your security needs.
    > ¹ Does not provide full real-time scanning engine.
    >
    > *My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note
    that
    > the page says this:
    > "Free software offer expires 2/1/05."
    > The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
    > believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
    > your own.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    For what it's worth, I've used AVG along with Zone Alarm
    (both free) without incident for several months. Manual
    update is required (in my opinion) for AVG. Those
    combined with ie spyad, spyware blaster, spyware guard, Ad-
    Aware SE Personal and Spybot - Search & Destroy have kept
    my system clean for months. Regular update and scan is my
    paranoid method of choice <g>.

    Best of luck, Bonnie!

Firewalls Antivirus Windows