Can connect to internet, but can't see other PCs on my net..

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps re-installed).
Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't see
the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the router,
and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other PCs.
I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable to
ping it.

The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
File and Print Sharing enabled.

After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap UBS
wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the rest
of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's internal
network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing the
rest of my network.

Any suggestions where to look?

Thanks,

Pete

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Since you can surf via the Wireless computer your Wireless is OK.
Your problem thus as nothing to do with your Wireless it is a Sharing
problem.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Pete" <pfgoergen@cs.com> wrote in message
> I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
> corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
> strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
> things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps
re-installed).
> Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
> laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't
see
> the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the
router,
> and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other
PCs.
> I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable to
> ping it.
>

> The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
> card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
> File and Print Sharing enabled.
>

> After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap
UBS
> wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the
rest
> of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's
internal
> network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing
the
> rest of my network.
>

> Any suggestions where to look?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Pete

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Have you checked what wireless security you might have in place?

If you use a wired connection for the laptop does it change anything?

Do you have the 802.1x security enabled?

Clark

"Pete" <pfgoergen@cs.com> wrote in message
>I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
> corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
> strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
> things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps
> re-installed).
> Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
> laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't
> see
> the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the
> router,
> and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other
> PCs.
> I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable to
> ping it.
>

> The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on network
> card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I have
> File and Print Sharing enabled.
>

> After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap
> UBS
> wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the
> rest
> of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's
> internal
> network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing
> the
> rest of my network.
>

> Any suggestions where to look?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

I don't have wireless security enabled.

A wired connection works fine.

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> Have you checked what wireless security you might have in place?
>
> If you use a wired connection for the laptop does it change anything?
>
> Do you have the 802.1x security enabled?
>
> Clark
>
> "Pete" <pfgoergen@cs.com> wrote in message
> >I have a network at home with 3 wired PCs (all XP-Home) and 1 wireless
> > corporate laptop (XP-Pro). My old wireless router died in a lightning
> > strike. I installed a new SMC Barricade wireless router. To complicate
> > things, I've had my laptop re-imaged (reformatted and OS/apps
> > re-installed).
> > Now I can surf the net, but I can't see the wired PCs from the wireless
> > laptop. My wired PCs can see each other without problem, but they can't
> > see
> > the wireless laptop. The laptop can ping loopback 127.0.0.1 and the
> > router,
> > and I can access the router admin program, but it can't ping the other
> > PCs.
> > I uninstalled Norton Firewall from one of my PCs - and I'm still unable
> > ping it.
> >

> > The workgroup is the same on all machines, the channel is same on
network
> > card and router, I have disabled router security and firewall, and I
have
> > File and Print Sharing enabled.
> >

> > After eliminating a bunch of possibilities, I decided to go buy a cheap
> > UBS
> > wireless adapter & test it on my laptop. It works fine - I can see the
> > rest
> > of my network with it. So that would lead me to believe my laptop's
> > internal
> > network adapter has some setting that would be preventing me from seeing
> > the
> > rest of my network.
> >

> > Any suggestions where to look?
> >

> > Thanks,