Intel mobo fans problem

Hello,

I recently bought an Intel D865GBF, and I'm trying to connect two fans
with extra-line for tachometer, but no success. I've tested the fans
(Nidec Beta V, TA300DC, model M33406-33) directly to the power supply
(only GND and 12V) and they works. I've tested the voltage at mobo's fan
connectors and they read 11V (which is ok following the fan specs).
Also, I've checked the connector matches the fan's lines order, though I
know it should be pretty standard.

But no success! the fans does not work when they are connected to the
mobo, and the BIOS does not appear to have any option to turn them on/off.

Any ideas??

10x.

jad

fans aren't wired the same as the board.

"DenKar" <gama7@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recently bought an Intel D865GBF, and I'm trying to connect two fans
> with extra-line for tachometer, but no success. I've tested the fans
> (Nidec Beta V, TA300DC, model M33406-33) directly to the power supply
> (only GND and 12V) and they works. I've tested the voltage at mobo's fan
> connectors and they read 11V (which is ok following the fan specs).
> Also, I've checked the connector matches the fan's lines order, though I
> know it should be pretty standard.
>
> But no success! the fans does not work when they are connected to the
> mobo, and the BIOS does not appear to have any option to turn them on/off.
>
> Any ideas??
>

> 10x.

"DenKar" <gama7@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recently bought an Intel D865GBF, and I'm trying to connect two fans
> with extra-line for tachometer, but no success. I've tested the fans
> (Nidec Beta V, TA300DC, model M33406-33) directly to the power supply
> (only GND and 12V) and they works. I've tested the voltage at mobo's fan
> connectors and they read 11V (which is ok following the fan specs). Also,
> I've checked the connector matches the fan's lines order, though I know it
> should be pretty standard.
>
> But no success! the fans does not work when they are connected to the
> mobo, and the BIOS does not appear to have any option to turn them on/off.
>
> Any ideas??

A fan is either on or off, though you can slow it down a bit by lowering the
voltage. If you are sure that there IS voltage on the motherboard fan
headers, then you have a wiring problem with the fan itself. How, exactly,
are you connecting the fan to the motherboard? Each fan should have a
connector that will be a perfect match for the motherboard, and that
connector should only fit one way, as it is keyed. But if that is the
connector you are trying to use, how did you test the fans with the power
supply? -Dave

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "DenKar" <gama7@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently bought an Intel D865GBF, and I'm trying to connect two fans
> > with extra-line for tachometer, but no success. I've tested the fans
> > (Nidec Beta V, TA300DC, model M33406-33) directly to the power supply
> > (only GND and 12V) and they works. I've tested the voltage at mobo's fan
> > connectors and they read 11V (which is ok following the fan specs).
Also,
> > I've checked the connector matches the fan's lines order, though I know
it
> > should be pretty standard.
> >
> > But no success! the fans does not work when they are connected to the
> > mobo, and the BIOS does not appear to have any option to turn them
on/off.

> > Any ideas??
> >

> A fan is either on or off, though you can slow it down a bit by lowering
the
> voltage. If you are sure that there IS voltage on the motherboard fan
> headers, then you have a wiring problem with the fan itself. How,
exactly,
> are you connecting the fan to the motherboard? Each fan should have a
> connector that will be a perfect match for the motherboard, and that
> connector should only fit one way, as it is keyed. But if that is the
> connector you are trying to use, how did you test the fans with the power
> supply? -Dave

Motherboard fan connectors have power limits, those fans may require too
much juice.
Mike.

Hello,

These fans has three lines: GND, 12V, and a "tachometer". The 3rd line
send a pulse to the mobo on every spin, etc.

The 3rd line does not need to be connected, but I do want to be able to
monitor the fans speed, and I don't want to cut the 3rd line on every fan.

There's only one way to connect the fans to the mobo. The connector does
not allow mistakes. I tested the fans standalone by connecting GND and
12V to the respective lines in a common power supply connector (I.E.,
red-black-black-yellow).

I did read the fans PDF specs and they seems to be suitable for this
mobo, in voltage, speed, etc.

ANYWAYS....

I've tested the fans with an *identical* mobo and they works. This is a
RMA case, right??

10x

jad

looks like it..