Router Advice Please

I have a small network of some 4 PCs using a Unex NexSwitch SD080s. this
works very well, but I wish to upgrade to a warless system.

I also wish to run my Broadband modem direct from this unit, so allowing any
PC to access the internet without having the need for another to be switched
on, or connected.

I understand a ROUTER will allow this, but which one?

Can anyone offer any help on deciding which to use?

I use Windows 2000 pro, and one on Win98SE, until it is replaced.

The internet service is via NTL, if this makes any odds?

I do not require a heavy usage system, so cost is of a slight importance, as
I do wish it to be reasonable.

I have looked at the items available in B&Q, which also include a Firewall
system at around some £120.

I have also looked at those offered by Maplin, but as I started to look
deeper the systems offered were somewhat more complex than I thought
required.

I did like the idea of being able to use the router on both WIRE, and
WIRELESS connection.

Any help here most gratefully appreciated.

Not expecting too quicker response as it is Christmas.

Hope all have a great time, and the new year brings you all you wish fro.

many thanks in advance Vaughn

"Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have a small network of some 4 PCs using a Unex NexSwitch SD080s. this
> works very well, but I wish to upgrade to a warless system.
>
> I also wish to run my Broadband modem direct from this unit, so allowing
> any
> PC to access the internet without having the need for another to be
> switched
> on, or connected.
>
> I understand a ROUTER will allow this, but which one?
>
> Can anyone offer any help on deciding which to use?
>
> I use Windows 2000 pro, and one on Win98SE, until it is replaced.
>
> The internet service is via NTL, if this makes any odds?
>
> I do not require a heavy usage system, so cost is of a slight importance,
> as
> I do wish it to be reasonable.

OK, first you need to determine if your broadband modem is ethernet capable.
To figure this out, just tell us how it connects to whatever computer you
are using it with. If the broadband modem connects to your computer with a
USB cable, see if you can use an ethernet cable with it instead. If you can
NOT use an ethernet cable with your broadband modem, then it's going to be
tough to find a router that will help you.

But if you CAN use an ethernet cable to connect your broadband modem to your
computer, then you have plenty of choices of relatively inexpensive wireless
routers that will do what you want to do. Some of the better ones follow.
I'd suggest the Netgear. I'd include links to specific vendors, but I think
you are on the other side of the pond. :) -Dave

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php#WGR614

http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=452

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=141064&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=184371&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLPG3yV3oWIF3kP98f8p8Nqtg6jw6VHqqnHtB84kMFNzl2KbpLU8Wseg=

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >I have a small network of some 4 PCs using a Unex NexSwitch SD080s. this
> > works very well, but I wish to upgrade to a warless system.
> >
> > I also wish to run my Broadband modem direct from this unit, so allowing
> > any
> > PC to access the internet without having the need for another to be
> > switched
> > on, or connected.
> >
> > I understand a ROUTER will allow this, but which one?
> >
> > Can anyone offer any help on deciding which to use?
> >
> > I use Windows 2000 pro, and one on Win98SE, until it is replaced.
> >
> > The internet service is via NTL, if this makes any odds?
> >
> > I do not require a heavy usage system, so cost is of a slight
importance,
> > as
> > I do wish it to be reasonable.
>
> OK, first you need to determine if your broadband modem is ethernet
capable.
> To figure this out, just tell us how it connects to whatever computer you
> are using it with. If the broadband modem connects to your computer with
> USB cable, see if you can use an ethernet cable with it instead. If you
can
> NOT use an ethernet cable with your broadband modem, then it's going to be
> tough to find a router that will help you.

Again I should have included that it works on both USB, and either net card.
Sorry

> But if you CAN use an ethernet cable to connect your broadband modem to
your
> computer, then you have plenty of choices of relatively inexpensive
wireless
> routers that will do what you want to do. Some of the better ones follow.
> I'd suggest the Netgear. I'd include links to specific vendors, but I
think
> you are on the other side of the pond. :) -Dave

Correct if you are in the US, as I'm in the UK.

Will brows the links given, and thanks very much for the speedy response.

Vaughn

> http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php#WGR614
>
> http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=452

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=141064&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=184371&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLPG3yV3oWIF3kP98f8p8Nqtg6jw6VHqqnHtB84kMFNzl2KbpLU8Wseg=

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Vaughn" <vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >I have a small network of some 4 PCs using a Unex NexSwitch SD080s. this
> > works very well, but I wish to upgrade to a warless system.
> >
> > I also wish to run my Broadband modem direct from this unit, so allowing
> > any
> > PC to access the internet without having the need for another to be
> > switched
> > on, or connected.
> >
> > I understand a ROUTER will allow this, but which one?
> >
> > Can anyone offer any help on deciding which to use?
> >
> > I use Windows 2000 pro, and one on Win98SE, until it is replaced.
> >
> > The internet service is via NTL, if this makes any odds?
> >
> > I do not require a heavy usage system, so cost is of a slight
importance,
> > as
> > I do wish it to be reasonable.
>
> OK, first you need to determine if your broadband modem is ethernet
capable.
> To figure this out, just tell us how it connects to whatever computer you
> are using it with. If the broadband modem connects to your computer with
> USB cable, see if you can use an ethernet cable with it instead. If you
can
> NOT use an ethernet cable with your broadband modem, then it's going to be
> tough to find a router that will help you.
>
> But if you CAN use an ethernet cable to connect your broadband modem to
your
> computer, then you have plenty of choices of relatively inexpensive
wireless
> routers that will do what you want to do. Some of the better ones follow.
> I'd suggest the Netgear. I'd include links to specific vendors, but I
think
> you are on the other side of the pond. :) -Dave
>
> http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php#WGR614
>
> http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=452

This last one above was one I looked at available from a dealer in UK called
Maplin. you suggested the Netgear, but any dealings, or comments on the
Linksys?

Cheers agian Vaughn

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=141064&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201576&pcount=&Product_Id=184371&Section.Section_Path=%2FRoot%2FNetworking%2FWirelessNetworking%2F80211gWi%2E%2E%2Etworking%2F

http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKOhST9vhLPG3yV3oWIF3kP98f8p8Nqtg6jw6VHqqnHtB84kMFNzl2KbpLU8Wseg=

>> http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php#WGR614
>>
>> http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=452
>>
> This last one above was one I looked at available from a dealer in UK
> called
> Maplin. you suggested the Netgear, but any dealings, or comments on the
> Linksys?
>
> Cheers agian Vaughn

I've never tried a Linksys wireless product. But, I own a Linksys cable
modem (befcmu10, v3). I'm using it now, it works great. So I suspect that
their wireless products would be OK. I also use the Netgear WGR614 wireless
"G" router with it. For wireless access cards, I use Belkin brand cards.
So my home network is a mix of Linksys and Netgear and Belkin. NO problems
whatsoever. -Dave

peter

In article <OnFyd.742$187.554@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>,
vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com says...

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

<snip>
> > http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php#WGR614
> >
> > http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=452
> >
> This last one above was one I looked at available from a dealer in UK called
> Maplin. you suggested the Netgear, but any dealings, or comments on the
> Linksys?
>
> Cheers agian Vaughn

Why are you choosing the likes of Maplin or B & Q. I'm sure they are
way overpriced from those outlets. Are these local to you or are you
buying online? If local then perhaps you could give a rough idea of
your location so that perhaps someone here could direct you towards a
more price-friendly computer store. If online, then there are plenty of
UK-based computer web sites.

--
Pete Ives

"Peter" <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <OnFyd.742$187.554@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>,
> vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com says...
> >
> > "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> > >

> <snip>
> > > http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_wireless_broadband_routers.php#WGR614
> > >
> > > http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=452
> > >
> > This last one above was one I looked at available from a dealer in UK
called
> > Maplin. you suggested the Netgear, but any dealings, or comments on the
> > Linksys?
> >
> > Cheers agian Vaughn
> >

> Why are you choosing the likes of Maplin or B & Q. I'm sure they are
> way overpriced from those outlets. Are these local to you or are you
> buying online? If local then perhaps you could give a rough idea of
> your location so that perhaps someone here could direct you towards a
> more price-friendly computer store. If online, then there are plenty of
> UK-based computer web sites.
>
> --
> Pete Ives
> Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email

Many thanks for all the advise so far ;-)

As to the above, yes they are very local, and/or I have used them over many
years. Main reason though is that these came up in my search, prier to
posting this, and they seemed OK, and like I say since I have used these
outlets before, I thought I'd stick with them.

If you could offer other outlets, or models to choose from, I would be very
eager to have a look. I am based in Ipswich Suffolk UK.

Again many thanks to all for the help.

Vaughn

peter

In article <gtozd.23158$WD5.21443@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>,
vaughn.lucock@ntlworld.com says...

> "Peter" <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in message
>

> > Why are you choosing the likes of Maplin or B & Q. I'm sure they are
> > way overpriced from those outlets. Are these local to you or are you
> > buying online? If local then perhaps you could give a rough idea of
> > your location so that perhaps someone here could direct you towards a
> > more price-friendly computer store. If online, then there are plenty of
> > UK-based computer web sites.
> >
> > --

> Many thanks for all the advise so far ;-)
>
> As to the above, yes they are very local, and/or I have used them over many
> years. Main reason though is that these came up in my search, prier to
> posting this, and they seemed OK, and like I say since I have used these
> outlets before, I thought I'd stick with them.
>
> If you could offer other outlets, or models to choose from, I would be very
> eager to have a look. I am based in Ipswich Suffolk UK.
>
> Again many thanks to all for the help.
>
> Vaughn

Unfortunately not near enough for me. However, as an example of how
much more expensive Maplin are here's a 350 watt power supply at £22.99:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?doy=27m12&source=15&criteria=q-tec

And here is a list of various Q-Tec power supplies and their prices from
a local computer store near me in Southend:

http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/

Scroll down to 'Power supplies and click on it and you'll find various
Q-Tec PSUs with more wattage and less cost.

So the choice if yours. If you're a regular computer shopper then I'd
suggest looking around a little for that local store who's prices are
reasonable and then sticking with them. If this is a one-off purchase
then perhaps convenience may be more important to you.

--
Pete Ives