Some websites won't load

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 18, 2005 2:35:20 PM

The last few months, some websites don't load. ("The page cannot be
displayed"). Then like 5 minutes later it works normally. This keeps
happening with many different sites. I'm using IE6 (WinMe) but tried
Firefox, and problem remains. I'm using a router but haven't changed any
settings, and anyway why would the problem be intermittent? Any ideas? TY.

More about : websites load

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:09:47 PM

If this is happening only intermittently then this could be due to your
ISP having either DNS or routing problems although for this to have
continued for "the last few months" would be unusual. I assume none of
the sites are in your restricted zone or otherwise blocked due perhaps to
the use of a product such as SpywareBlaster or similar.

Is it possible for you to give examples of some of the sites involved?
In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

J <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The last few months, some websites don't load. ("The page cannot be
> displayed"). Then like 5 minutes later it works normally. This keeps
> happening with many different sites. I'm using IE6 (WinMe) but tried
> Firefox, and problem remains. I'm using a router but haven't changed
> any settings, and anyway why would the problem be intermittent? Any
> ideas? TY.
March 18, 2005 8:09:48 PM

Thanks for replying. I used Spybot but I checked it & it's not set to block
anything. This site happened to have the problem just today
http://www.hubcanada.com/. This one has done it a few times
http://www.trekunited.com/. Some *always* work like Google. Lastly,
something is definitely wrong because if I do a Google search, it seems like
half of the results appear to be dead links, which I assume isn't possible.

> If this is happening only intermittently then this could be due to your
> ISP having either DNS or routing problems although for this to have
> continued for "the last few months" would be unusual. I assume none of
> the sites are in your restricted zone or otherwise blocked due perhaps to
> the use of a product such as SpywareBlaster or similar.
>
> Is it possible for you to give examples of some of the sites involved?
> --
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> In memory of a very dear friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> J <speechee2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The last few months, some websites don't load. ("The page cannot be
> > displayed"). Then like 5 minutes later it works normally. This keeps
> > happening with many different sites. I'm using IE6 (WinMe) but tried
> > Firefox, and problem remains. I'm using a router but haven't changed
> > any settings, and anyway why would the problem be intermittent? Any
> > ideas? TY.

March 18, 2005 10:25:17 PM

> http://www.trekunited.com/. Some *always* work like Google. Lastly,
> something is definitely wrong because if I do a Google search, it seems
like
> half of the results appear to be dead links, which I assume isn't
possible.

Do you try their cached version of those pages? That's the link that should
always work, unless Google itself is down. Try it and you'll see that often,
probably mostly even, they trawled the site some hours earlier.

However, *half of the results* not working would be a bit excessive!

Shane
!