Need to recover files deleted using dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis

I've accidentaly deleted files on my drive using the deltree command. I need
help to recover some files if possible.

Thanks,
Louis

Shane

You need to stop using the computer - assuming you still are. Even just
booting it and leaving it idle can result in your deleted files being
overwritten with other data. And don't defrag!

If you don't use the computer between deleting the files and running data
recovery software, the chances of success are very high. The more you use
it, the less likely that becomes.

Then you have options of various recovery/undelete utilities. Many here
recommend one or two freeware file recovery programs, but I've never found
them particularly powerful. One you pay for that's pretty good is Iolo's
Search and Recover. Best to type "file recovery" or "data recovery" into
Google.

If software can't recover the files you have the option of getting in a data
recovery company who will charge lots to do it using hardware.

Shane

"Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've accidentaly deleted files on my drive using the deltree command. I
need
> help to recover some files if possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Louis

Very good, Shane.
----
File Recovery Tools

EasyRecovery, $89, demo will retrieve five files and show what else
can be retrieved. Retrieved files copied to another partition, hard
drive, network drive, or removable media:
http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecovery/

Fast File Undelete, $29, demo will retrieve files 15 kb or smaller.
Retrieved files are copied to another drive:
http://www.datarecoveryzone.com/undeleteit.asp

DataBack, $22.95, demo available. Program is installed to other than
the affected PC and you create a floppy disk for retrieval purposes.
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/~tkuurstra/index.htm#DataBack

Recover4All, $49, demo will retrieve files up to 10 kb and show what
else can be retrieved. Retrieved files are copied to another drive:
http://www.recover4all.com/

---
Ron Badour, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
Tips: http://badour.freewebsites.com/index.html
----

Ran across this and thought it might be of use to those concerned with data
recovery operations.

http://pjwalczak.com/scaven/index.php

Regards, Jim Byrd
----

One option is "FileRestore" from Winternals Software--

www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/filerestore.asp

This $39 utility recovers files deleted from any Windows XP/2000/NT/Me/9x
system regardless of whether emptied from the Recycle Bin, deleted via a
command prompt or with a removed directory, by a remote process or
uninstall, etc. It's designed to be effective regardless of whether
installed before or after an accidental deletion.

FileRestore works on NTFS, FAT, and FAT32 drives. It recovers files
(including compressed files) deleted from hard drives- plus floppy disks,
Jaz, Zip, and even CompactFlash photo cards.

Please note:

Regardless of which recovery program is used, it is recommended that you--

To the extent possible stop all disk activity on your system without
shutting the system down. Turn off any scheduled defragmentation and do not
defrag your system until lost files are recovered. Close all applications
including email and Web browsing software and, if removable media such as a
floppy disk drive is available on your system, disconnect your system from
the network as soon as is practical. This will reduce the possibility that
deleted files will be overwritten.

If installing FileRestore, we recommend that you download and install it on
a second computer and follow the "Emergency Installation" procedure in the
Help file. This procedure will allow you to run FileRestore from a floppy
disk or network drive to help maximize the chances of recovery.

Most file recovery utilities are unable to recover data from accidentally
formatted partitions. "Disk Commander" from Winternals Software is a utility
designed for this purpose, among other things:
http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/diskcommander.asp

- Paul (a Winternals employee)
----

And "Restoration". Freeware. Works great.
http://hccweb1.bai.ne.jp/~hcj58401/
-----

http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm
-----

File Recovery Software
Win95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, Linux Download and try Free Demo
www.r-tt.com
----

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You need to stop using the computer - assuming you still are. Even just
> booting it and leaving it idle can result in your deleted files being
> overwritten with other data. And don't defrag!
>
> If you don't use the computer between deleting the files and running data
> recovery software, the chances of success are very high. The more you use
> it, the less likely that becomes.
>
> Then you have options of various recovery/undelete utilities. Many here
> recommend one or two freeware file recovery programs, but I've never found
> them particularly powerful. One you pay for that's pretty good is Iolo's
> Search and Recover. Best to type "file recovery" or "data recovery" into
> Google.
>
> If software can't recover the files you have the option of getting in a
data
> recovery company who will charge lots to do it using hardware.
>

> Shane
>

> "Louis" <Louis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've accidentaly deleted files on my drive using the deltree command. I
> need
> > help to recover some files if possible.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Louis

Monalisa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Operating System logically divides the hard disk into two parts. One part is used to store data and the other part is used to store its address. When data is deleted, Operating System updates a flag in the address part of the hard drive, which further helps the operating system to recognize that the following file has been deleted. It simply removes that file from the list of files in the folder. Truth is that the data still appears in the data part of the hard drive and will remain there until the information is overwritten by a new file or data.

Running a Disk Defragmenter could cause destruction to your deleted file. If you have scheduled Windows Disk Defragmenter to run automatically, then disable the option until you retrieve the data.

You can use Undelete Software. With this software, you would be able to recover your accidentally deleted files.

Levin
iPod Recovery