Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Troubles with Graphics Adapter

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2004 6:43:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi,

I recently purchased a PixelView GeForce4 MX 4000 card and have problems.
The setup is Intel P4 2.4GHz on Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G mobo, with 256MB
VisiPro PC2700 RAM (single chip).

The problem is when I installed the drivers for the graphic adapter on
Win98se, after restart, my monitor will be on standby mode when entering
windows, but not while booting process. Windows runs fine. I verify this
by listening the startup sound, and pressing alt-F4 to restart windows
(which all succeeded).

When I try to force it to run on 16 color (4bit color) mode, it runs
fine. But as I verified the available color depth options, it only offers
16 color, 256 color, and 16bit color, only on 640x480 (while on win2k it
offers up to 32bit color in all resolution, up to 1600x1200 and beyond,
see below). If I try to set the color depth other than 16 colors, then
the monitor standby problem arises.

Before installing the graphics adapter, I have installed the all the mobo
drivers (chipset, LAN, Audio, USB).

The curious part is when I installed Win2k (dual boot), all runs fine, no
troubles whatsoever. I even try to set non standard resolutions (such as
800x480, 900x600) and it works.

Here's the driver version info from the CD, in case needed:

Win98se&Me -- DRIVER Ver:4.14.10.6176 for WINDOWS 98SE/ME
WINXP&2000 -- DRIVER Ver:6.14.10.6672 for WINDOWS XP & WINDOWS 2000

How can I resolve this problem? Win98SE is urgently needed on my system,
and upgrading to XP is out of the question.

TIA
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2004 6:43:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Ricky Romaya" <something@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:Xns95C9EAE024A47rickyralexandriacc@66.250.146.159...
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a PixelView GeForce4 MX 4000 card and have problems.
> The setup is Intel P4 2.4GHz on Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G mobo, with 256MB
> VisiPro PC2700 RAM (single chip).
>
> The problem is when I installed the drivers for the graphic adapter on
> Win98se, after restart, my monitor will be on standby mode when entering
> windows, but not while booting process. Windows runs fine. I verify this
> by listening the startup sound, and pressing alt-F4 to restart windows
> (which all succeeded).
>
> When I try to force it to run on 16 color (4bit color) mode, it runs
> fine. But as I verified the available color depth options, it only offers
> 16 color, 256 color, and 16bit color, only on 640x480 (while on win2k it
> offers up to 32bit color in all resolution, up to 1600x1200 and beyond,
> see below). If I try to set the color depth other than 16 colors, then
> the monitor standby problem arises.
>

Your symptom suggests that your *monitor* is not properly recognized by
Win98SE. Or, if the monitor is recognized, the proper driver has not been
installed for it. Regardless of the capabilities of a graphics card, you
will only be presented with resolutions/color depths that your monitor can
handle. Being stuck at 640X480 suggests that Windows98 doesn't think much
of your monitor. -Dave
December 24, 2004 7:11:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Xns95C9EAE024A47rickyralexandriacc@66.250.146.159>,
something@somewhere.com says...
> Hi,
>
> I recently purchased a PixelView GeForce4 MX 4000 card and have problems.
> The setup is Intel P4 2.4GHz on Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-G mobo, with 256MB
> VisiPro PC2700 RAM (single chip).
>
> The problem is when I installed the drivers for the graphic adapter on
> Win98se, after restart, my monitor will be on standby mode when entering
> windows, but not while booting process. Windows runs fine. I verify this
> by listening the startup sound, and pressing alt-F4 to restart windows
> (which all succeeded).
>
> When I try to force it to run on 16 color (4bit color) mode, it runs
> fine. But as I verified the available color depth options, it only offers
> 16 color, 256 color, and 16bit color, only on 640x480 (while on win2k it
> offers up to 32bit color in all resolution, up to 1600x1200 and beyond,
> see below). If I try to set the color depth other than 16 colors, then
> the monitor standby problem arises.
>
> Before installing the graphics adapter, I have installed the all the mobo
> drivers (chipset, LAN, Audio, USB).
>
> The curious part is when I installed Win2k (dual boot), all runs fine, no
> troubles whatsoever. I even try to set non standard resolutions (such as
> 800x480, 900x600) and it works.
>
> Here's the driver version info from the CD, in case needed:
>
> Win98se&Me -- DRIVER Ver:4.14.10.6176 for WINDOWS 98SE/ME
> WINXP&2000 -- DRIVER Ver:6.14.10.6672 for WINDOWS XP & WINDOWS 2000
>
> How can I resolve this problem? Win98SE is urgently needed on my system,
> and upgrading to XP is out of the question.
>
> TIA
>
In win98SE did you boot into safe mode and uninstall the previous
graphics drivers before putting in your new card? If not, then I'd
suggest that's what you do now. Delete anything you find under the
display adapter heading in 'device manager' then reboot into windows as
normal. Hopefully your card will be picked up when you restart and you
should be able to install the drivers from there.

This is probably why your win2000 had no problems, because it didn't
have any previous device drivers for your g/fx card mucking things up.

--
Pete Ives
Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2004 3:15:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Peter <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in
news:MPG.1c3650229398196a98973d@news3.fast24.net:

> In win98SE did you boot into safe mode and uninstall the previous
> graphics drivers before putting in your new card? If not, then I'd
> suggest that's what you do now. Delete anything you find under the
> display adapter heading in 'device manager' then reboot into windows
> as normal. Hopefully your card will be picked up when you restart and
> you should be able to install the drivers from there.
>
> This is probably why your win2000 had no problems, because it didn't
> have any previous device drivers for your g/fx card mucking things up.
>
Both win98se and win2k are fresh install. On win98se, the only thing on
'display adapter' is standard PCI VGA supplied by windows installation.
December 28, 2004 12:29:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Xns95CA4D9C4E7D2rickyralexandriacc@66.250.146.159>,
something@somewhere.com says...
> Peter <ivingtonAll_stRESS@fast24.co.uk> wrote in
> news:MPG.1c3650229398196a98973d@news3.fast24.net:
>
> > In win98SE did you boot into safe mode and uninstall the previous
> > graphics drivers before putting in your new card? If not, then I'd
> > suggest that's what you do now. Delete anything you find under the
> > display adapter heading in 'device manager' then reboot into windows
> > as normal. Hopefully your card will be picked up when you restart and
> > you should be able to install the drivers from there.
> >
> > This is probably why your win2000 had no problems, because it didn't
> > have any previous device drivers for your g/fx card mucking things up.
> >
> Both win98se and win2k are fresh install. On win98se, the only thing on
> 'display adapter' is standard PCI VGA supplied by windows installation.
>
Which means the correct drivers have not been installed. Presumably you
should be able to stick in the CD that came with the graphics card which
should allow for the correct drivers for your card to be installed. I
would imagine that you've probably already done this one, but try it
again and, if it doesn't work, tell us how the install goes and if you
noticed any problems or errors along the way.
--
Pete Ives
Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email
!