fried CPU

The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks
like there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing the
HSF clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago. :-(.

Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.

Harris

"Sam Horder" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks like
> there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing the HSF
> clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago. :-(.
>
> Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
> accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.

No chance. Its wallet open time.

papa

Check with the manufacturers and/or where you purchased them.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> Check with the manufacturers and/or where you purchased them.
>
> "Sam Horder" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks
like
> > there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing the HSF
> > clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago. :-(.
> >
> > Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
> > accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.

If the HSF clip snapped its a defect on HSF. If retaining hook on CPU
socket snapped it is defect on motherboard. If it just became disconnected,
it's down to YOU! If you set shutdown temp in BIOS it would be fault on
motherboard, if you didn't, it's down to YOU again.
MIke.

Sam Horder <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
<JrOdnUvoP-J_3FHcRVn-2w@rcn.net>:

> The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks

> like there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing
the
> HSF clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago.
:-(.

> Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
> accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.

If the HSF and CPU both came from AMD, the correct answer, for
entertainment purposes only, is that the CPU fried because the fan
seized up, and this is what you must tell AMD in order to obtain a free
replacement under warranty. But before returning the CPU and HSF to
AMD, you must first perform a *proper* diagnosis by connecting the fan
to a 24V source (i.e., red wire to +12V, black wire to -12V) or
backwards to a 12V car battery (red wire to the negative terminal,
black wire to the positive) to confirm that the fan failed.

No.

--
DaveW

Sam Horder wrote:

> The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks
> like there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing the
> HSF clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago. :-(.
>
> Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
> accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.

Being unable to clip a simple retainer in place falls under incompetence
and not accident. It's not covered under warranty. However, if the
motherboard was SUPPOSED to have overheat protection, as all modern
motherboards that take AMD chips do, then the fact that the overheat
protection failed so spectacularly may entitle you to a warranty claim.

Cheers,

Ari

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"Norm De Plume" wrote:>
> Sam Horder wrote:
>
> > The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks
>
> > like there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing
> the
> > HSF clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago.
> :-(.
> >
> > Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
> > accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.
>
> If the HSF and CPU both came from AMD, the correct answer, for
> entertainment purposes only, is that the CPU fried because the fan
> seized up, and this is what you must tell AMD in order to obtain a free
> replacement under warranty. But before returning the CPU and HSF to
> AMD, you must first perform a *proper* diagnosis by connecting the fan
> to a 24V source (i.e., red wire to +12V, black wire to -12V) or
> backwards to a 12V car battery (red wire to the negative terminal,
> black wire to the positive) to confirm that the fan failed.

No, that is called commiting fraud, and a person performing such an act
belongs in jail for a week or so.

Jon

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Sam Horder" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks like
> there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing the HSF
> clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago. :-(.
>
> Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
> accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.

I went through a similar event two or three years ago. I had just bought a
new mainboard, CPU and HS/Fan all from the same supplier. I fitted the HSF
arrangement properly, but within a couple of weeks, the HSF clip snapped and
the HSF fell away from the CPU. This must have happened in the night
sometime, and when I powered it up next morning, the CPU instantly burned
out. Following many attempts to get the damaged good replaced, I gave up
and bought a new CPU and heatsink.

I think you have almost no chance of getting the damaged stuff replaced
under a warranty.

I very much doubt you`ll be getting any bits replaced for free.

Merry Christmas to all...

Steve

Jon Danniken wrote:
> "Norm De Plume" wrote:>
> > Sam Horder wrote:

> > > Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know
if
> > > accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.
> >
> > If the HSF and CPU both came from AMD, the correct answer, for
> > entertainment purposes only, is that the CPU fried because the fan
> > seized up, and this is what you must tell AMD in order to obtain a
free
> > replacement under warranty.

> No, that is called commiting fraud, and a person performing such an
act
> belongs in jail for a week or so.

Be a winner and abandon your beliefs in honesty, hard work (or any
work), and wartime heroism, and then you too will be accepted by the
Reality Based political establishment now in power.

papa

"Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Norm De Plume" wrote:>
>> Sam Horder wrote:
>>
>> > The HSF clip on my Athlon 2800+ snapped and I fried my CPU. It looks
>>
>> > like there was some damage done to the MSI mobo, too. I'm guessing
>> the
>> > HSF clip was never securely fastened when I installed it a year ago.
>> :-(.
>> >
>> > Before I go out and get myself a new mobo and CPU, I want to know if
>> > accidental damage is covered by either the CPU or mobo warranty.
>>
>> If the HSF and CPU both came from AMD, the correct answer, for
>> entertainment purposes only, is that the CPU fried because the fan
>> seized up, and this is what you must tell AMD in order to obtain a free
>> replacement under warranty. But before returning the CPU and HSF to
>> AMD, you must first perform a *proper* diagnosis by connecting the fan
>> to a 24V source (i.e., red wire to +12V, black wire to -12V) or
>> backwards to a 12V car battery (red wire to the negative terminal,
>> black wire to the positive) to confirm that the fan failed.
>
> No, that is called commiting fraud, and a person performing such an act
> belongs in jail for a week or so.
>
> Jon

Not to mention you'll have to spend a night in the box, 3 nights if you lie
on your cot with your shoes on. Rules are rules.