computer won't start

Bobby

When I try to cut my computer on, I get a message that reads "EDO memory was
detected in Socket 1 nearest the audio jacks. Strike the F1 key to shutdown."

Finally, after about ten tries, the computer powers up normally.

Any idea what this is?

Thanks
--
bob

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:A7EE5F13-3348-4260-B0FC-060054625D5C@microsoft.com,
bobby <bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When I try to cut my computer on, I get a message that reads "EDO
> memory was detected in Socket 1 nearest the audio jacks. Strike the
> F1 key to shutdown."
>
> Finally, after about ten tries, the computer powers up normally.
>
> Any idea what this is?
>
> Thanks

That's old school. I like it... EDO, sometimes needed in pairs, perhaps
you've a bad connection in there? Perhaps you've a faulty memory stick. Have
you recently added more memory to your computer? Did you do so in pairs if
your PC doesn't support single stick upgrades? Wow... Been ages since I've
even seen EDO mentioned. Thanks for the memories.

Seeing as you're online check Simtel for MemCheck, I think it's called, and
test your memory. You take the file, it goes on a floppy, you then run it
outside of the OS from boot. Let it run all night and do a full scan.

Galen

bobby wrote:
> When I try to cut my computer on, I get a message that reads "EDO memory was
> detected in Socket 1 nearest the audio jacks. Strike the F1 key to shutdown."
>
> Finally, after about ten tries, the computer powers up normally.
>
> Any idea what this is?
>
> Thanks

Just a guess but it sounds like your RAM in Socket 0 has come loose.

Rick

a better memory tester is DocMemory - download DocMemory from
www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC, and
run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
See what it reports.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> In news:A7EE5F13-3348-4260-B0FC-060054625D5C@microsoft.com,
> bobby <bobby@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>> When I try to cut my computer on, I get a message that reads "EDO
>> memory was detected in Socket 1 nearest the audio jacks. Strike the
>> F1 key to shutdown."
>>
>> Finally, after about ten tries, the computer powers up normally.
>>
>> Any idea what this is?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> That's old school. I like it... EDO, sometimes needed in pairs, perhaps
> you've a bad connection in there? Perhaps you've a faulty memory stick.
> Have you recently added more memory to your computer? Did you do so in
> pairs if your PC doesn't support single stick upgrades? Wow... Been ages
> since I've even seen EDO mentioned. Thanks for the memories.
>
> Seeing as you're online check Simtel for MemCheck, I think it's called,
> and test your memory. You take the file, it goes on a floppy, you then run
> it outside of the OS from boot. Let it run all night and do a full scan.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Ofn3fNMLFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> had this to say:

> a better memory tester is DocMemory - download DocMemory from
> www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC,
> and run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
> See what it reports.

Noel! Now you KNOW I'm going to have to try it don't you? <eg> I have just
the PC to do it on. I tried. I really did. I didn't mean to go back to
'work.' Now that I'm home and feeling well people keep calling me. Just
about three hours ago older lady (friend of the family) called and asked me
to pick up an OLD Compaq Prolinea 5120e (shortly after the buyout of Digital
and based on their Alpha boxes.) She's running 98se on it and there seems to
be some hardware faults. Fortunately I've been in the box in the past (it's
actually pretty stable normally) and I suspect a similar issue to the one
here as it's throwing an odd error on boot. First it's requiring an F1 input
to boot (I happen to have saved the BIOS update/change utility to floppy way
back when I was first in there and was able to find it) and then it's giving
a memory error. Should be a good time to test though, to be honest, normally
I'd just rip the case open and pull all of 'em out and start testing them
manually with a fistful of additional sticks should I find errors. I'd
probably, if I wasn't interested now, toss them for known good RAM and leave
it at that. I guess I'm glad I brought it home ;) Expect a DTS ping if
there's further issues! heheh

Galen

Galen wrote:

> Just
> about three hours ago older lady (friend of the family) called and asked me
> to pick up an OLD Compaq Prolinea 5120e (shortly after the buyout of Digital
> and based on their Alpha boxes.) She's running 98se on it and there seems to
> be some hardware faults.

Umm, ya think?... DEC-Alpha doesn't do 9x at all.

NT only (or VMS or Ultrix/OSF1/Tru64).

rpl

Add this to your memory testing program:

Memtest86
http://www.memtest86.com

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> In news:Ofn3fNMLFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> had this to say:

> > a better memory tester is DocMemory - download DocMemory from
> > www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC,
> > and run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
> > See what it reports.

<SNIP>

There's actually a new version of MemTest86 out......

http://www.memtest.org/

I haven't had occasion to try it out yet.

--

> Add this to your memory testing program:
>
> Memtest86
> http://www.memtest86.com

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> In news:Ofn3fNMLFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> had this to say:

>> > a better memory tester is DocMemory - download DocMemory from
>> > www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC,
>> > and run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
>> > See what it reports.
>>
> <SNIP>

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uLGF8IOLFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> had this to say:

> Galen wrote:
>

>> Just
>> about three hours ago older lady (friend of the family) called and
>> asked me to pick up an OLD Compaq Prolinea 5120e (shortly after the
>> buyout of Digital and based on their Alpha boxes.) She's running
>> 98se on it and there seems to be some hardware faults.
>
> Umm, ya think?... DEC-Alpha doesn't do 9x at all.
>
> NT only (or VMS or Ultrix/OSF1/Tru64).
>

> rpl

Shall I send stats?

Galen...

Hey, it's not MY PC... But it IS a Prolinea and it IS running (now) Win ME
because I lacked a 98 disk... Long long long story but stats available apon
request :)

Galen

Galen wrote:
> In news:uLGF8IOLFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> had this to say:

>>Galen wrote:
>>

>>>Just
>>>about three hours ago older lady (friend of the family) called and
>>>asked me to pick up an OLD Compaq Prolinea 5120e (shortly after the
>>>buyout of Digital and based on their Alpha boxes.) She's running
>>>98se on it and there seems to be some hardware faults.
>>
>>Umm, ya think?... DEC-Alpha doesn't do 9x at all.
>>
>>NT only (or VMS or Ultrix/OSF1/Tru64).
>>

>>rpl
>

> Shall I send stats?

Sure, but Google does fine... the 5120e is a Pentium I box. One of the
ones with those Error Code LEDs on it ?

Rick

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eEJTWfULFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> had this to say:

> Sure, but Google does fine... the 5120e is a Pentium I box. One of
> the ones with those Error Code LEDs on it ?
>

> Rick

Rick,

Nope. That would be interesting though. She's in her 90's (both the computer
and the owner with the owner being the organist at the local church) and an
LED would have confuzzled her. In case you're curious the stick was just
loose in it's socket. I gave the board a good cleaning with canned air while
I was in there and pulled, cleaned, and reseated all of the chips and cards
except the CPU.

Galen

Ah yes, Error Code 4 "Cat Fur in Box"

Some of the Compaq servers have 4 LEDs on the back of the box for
troubleshooting.