Where are firefox bookmarks?

I use a couple of different backup programs. One images the whole hard
drive, the other just saves important data files to a different hard drive.
(so if I lose some data, I don't have to restore the whole drive)

It worked great with mozilla, but I can't find where the firefox bookmarks
are stored so I can re-program my backup program. BTW, I tried google, and
the only information I could find was for MAC. I'm running windows XP
ro. -Dave
7 answers Last reply
More about where firefox bookmarks

    Dave C. wrote:
    > I use a couple of different backup programs. One images the whole
    hard
    > drive, the other just saves important data files to a different hard
    drive.
    > (so if I lose some data, I don't have to restore the whole drive)
    >
    > It worked great with mozilla, but I can't find where the firefox
    bookmarks
    > are stored so I can re-program my backup program. BTW, I tried
    google, and
    > the only information I could find was for MAC. I'm running windows
    XP
    > ro. -Dave

    They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
    something like this:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:44:22 -0500, hkazemi@yahoo.com wrote
    (in article <1104000262.228915.209520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

    > Subject: Re: Where are firefox bookmarks?
    > From: hkazemi@yahoo.com
    > Date: Today 1:44 PM
    > Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    >

    > Dave C. wrote:
    >> I use a couple of different backup programs. One images the whole
    > hard
    >> drive, the other just saves important data files to a different hard
    > drive.
    >> (so if I lose some data, I don't have to restore the whole drive)
    >>
    >> It worked great with mozilla, but I can't find where the firefox
    > bookmarks
    >> are stored so I can re-program my backup program. BTW, I tried
    > google, and
    >> the only information I could find was for MAC. I'm running windows
    > XP
    >> ro. -Dave
    >
    > They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
    > something like this:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

    Is there any way to get Firefox to use the IE bookmarks instead of it's own?
    (Not import, but rather just use the IE bookmarks (favorites)?)

    > They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
    > something like this:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

    That's IT!!! Now, why did that not show up when I ran a search of the
    entire hard drive for any file named bookmark? Oh well, thank you!!! -Dave

    looking for hidden or system files?

    hkazemi@yahoo.com wrote:

    >They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
    >something like this:
    >C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
    >Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

    Thanks. I'm glade to see it uses a single file, instead of all the
    littel files with long names used by IE. I ran into a big problem
    trying to back up my IE bookmarks at work a while back because their
    long filenames defeated all copy / backup utilities I could find. I
    eventually had to use a bookmark converter to change them to Netscape
    format for the move, then back to IE on the new machine.

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    In article <kjhus0l3i662e27d3eg46298e4e6b2tsmd@4ax.com>,
    Doug Warner <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote:

    >Thanks. I'm glade to see it uses a single file, instead of all the
    >littel files with long names used by IE. I ran into a big problem
    >trying to back up my IE bookmarks at work a while back because their
    >long filenames defeated all copy / backup utilities I could find. I
    >eventually had to use a bookmark converter to change them to Netscape
    >format for the move, then back to IE on the new machine.

    Those long names are totally unnessary. When you do an "Add to
    Favorites", the default is the title of the page if any. Just cut it
    down to a word or three before you select a folder and "OK".

    Note to all: Please do not set the flags for 'no archive' that result
    in Google Groups listing this warning of removal message. I'm copying
    the message into my reply because I normally won't reply to a message
    that will get deleted, because deleting removes any future benefit my
    reply may hold to future newsgroup users and searchers.

    Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    From: SinghaLvr <singha...@charter.net> - Find messages by this author

    Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:08:21 -0500
    Subject: Re: Where are firefox bookmarks?

    Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
    This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jan 1, 2:08 pm).

    Q. Is there any way to get Firefox to use the IE bookmarks instead of
    it's own?
    (Not import, but rather just use the IE bookmarks (favorites)?)

    A. Not that I know of. IE stores the Favorites as separate 'Internet
    Shortcuts' (*.url files) much like the shortcuts (*.lnk) used to
    populate the Start Menu while the Mozilla browsers all use a single
    'bookmarks.htm' file. The closest option I can think of is to search
    Google for a 'bookmark manager' that can manage bookmarks/favorites for
    both browser families. Compass from http://www.softgauge.com/compass/
    may work with Firefox, but I haven't tried it and it hasn't been
    updated in a few years either.

Homebuilt Firefox Systems