Where are firefox bookmarks?

I use a couple of different backup programs. One images the whole hard
drive, the other just saves important data files to a different hard drive.
(so if I lose some data, I don't have to restore the whole drive)

It worked great with mozilla, but I can't find where the firefox bookmarks
are stored so I can re-program my backup program. BTW, I tried google, and
the only information I could find was for MAC. I'm running windows XP
ro. -Dave

Dave C. wrote:
> I use a couple of different backup programs. One images the whole
hard
> drive, the other just saves important data files to a different hard
drive.
> (so if I lose some data, I don't have to restore the whole drive)
>
> It worked great with mozilla, but I can't find where the firefox
bookmarks
> are stored so I can re-program my backup program. BTW, I tried
google, and
> the only information I could find was for MAC. I'm running windows
XP
> ro. -Dave

They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
something like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:44:22 -0500, hkazemi@yahoo.com wrote
(in article <1104000262.228915.209520@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

> Subject: Re: Where are firefox bookmarks?
> From: hkazemi@yahoo.com
> Date: Today 1:44 PM
> Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>

> Dave C. wrote:
>> I use a couple of different backup programs. One images the whole
> hard
>> drive, the other just saves important data files to a different hard
> drive.
>> (so if I lose some data, I don't have to restore the whole drive)
>>
>> It worked great with mozilla, but I can't find where the firefox
> bookmarks
>> are stored so I can re-program my backup program. BTW, I tried
> google, and
>> the only information I could find was for MAC. I'm running windows
> XP
>> ro. -Dave
>
> They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
> something like this:
> C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

Is there any way to get Firefox to use the IE bookmarks instead of it's own?
(Not import, but rather just use the IE bookmarks (favorites)?)

> They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
> something like this:
> C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

That's IT!!! Now, why did that not show up when I ran a search of the
entire hard drive for any file named bookmark? Oh well, thank you!!! -Dave

jad

looking for hidden or system files?

hkazemi@yahoo.com wrote:

>They should be in a file named 'bookmarks.htm' folder that has a name
>something like this:
>C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application
>Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.default

Thanks. I'm glade to see it uses a single file, instead of all the
littel files with long names used by IE. I ran into a big problem
trying to back up my IE bookmarks at work a while back because their
long filenames defeated all copy / backup utilities I could find. I
eventually had to use a bookmark converter to change them to Netscape
format for the move, then back to IE on the new machine.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

In article <kjhus0l3i662e27d3eg46298e4e6b2tsmd@4ax.com>,
Doug Warner <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote:

>Thanks. I'm glade to see it uses a single file, instead of all the
>littel files with long names used by IE. I ran into a big problem
>trying to back up my IE bookmarks at work a while back because their
>long filenames defeated all copy / backup utilities I could find. I
>eventually had to use a bookmark converter to change them to Netscape
>format for the move, then back to IE on the new machine.

Those long names are totally unnessary. When you do an "Add to
Favorites", the default is the title of the page if any. Just cut it
down to a word or three before you select a folder and "OK".

Note to all: Please do not set the flags for 'no archive' that result
in Google Groups listing this warning of removal message. I'm copying
the message into my reply because I normally won't reply to a message
that will get deleted, because deleting removes any future benefit my
reply may hold to future newsgroup users and searchers.

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: SinghaLvr <singha...@charter.net> - Find messages by this author

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:08:21 -0500
Subject: Re: Where are firefox bookmarks?

Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Jan 1, 2:08 pm).

Q. Is there any way to get Firefox to use the IE bookmarks instead of
it's own?
(Not import, but rather just use the IE bookmarks (favorites)?)

A. Not that I know of. IE stores the Favorites as separate 'Internet
Shortcuts' (*.url files) much like the shortcuts (*.lnk) used to
populate the Start Menu while the Mozilla browsers all use a single
'bookmarks.htm' file. The closest option I can think of is to search
Google for a 'bookmark manager' that can manage bookmarks/favorites for
both browser families. Compass from http://www.softgauge.com/compass/
may work with Firefox, but I haven't tried it and it hasn't been
updated in a few years either.