General question video rendering: CPU, dual CPU, or GPU

I'm starting to look at systems for a possible upgrade in the next few
months. One new thing I'll be doing is some video editing and rendering
using Adobe Premier 6.5 (may upgrade to pro, not sure yet).

Should I spend my money on the fastest CPU I can afford, a low-end dual CPU,
or a high hend GPU? What should I be looking for, given whatever option you
recommend (e.g. if you say GPU, does it matter what GPU I get, or will they
all take over some of the rendering work)?

Thanks in advance,
Keith

I built a machine for video editing for my son, Might start with this:
P4 with HyperThreading, 800 MHz frontside bus; Win XP, enable
HyperThreading in BIOS. That makes XP see 2 CPUs. For Motherboard,
Intel D865PERL: has dual memory banks so frontside bus memory
transfers go at the full 800 Mhz. Use SATA hard drives using RAID0
drivers that come with motherboard: RAID0 makes disk transfers twice
as fast, SATA is 1.5X (?) faster than IDE, so overall disk transfer is
3X faster. CPU speed will impact the speed that any software "renders"
the video, specially any that renders flies like .BMPs to .AVIs. All
these "speed increases" should be taken with a grain of salt, yet
there is some truth to all the claims.