Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem installing Norton Anti-Virus

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:03:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my laptop, a RED DOS
screen popped up with an error message that said:

NAV AUTO-PROTECT

Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files


I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix the problem. I've
uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed WindowsME, then
re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-start my computer,
the same error keeps popping up.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Regards,
--
TelDash
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 10:54:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Get a refund - Norton doesn't work well (if at all) in Win ME
Then get an AV that does work with ME - most others do!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Dashman" <Dashman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:13F546EE-C207-436F-B818-C1472DA4406B@microsoft.com...
>I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my laptop, a RED DOS
> screen popped up with an error message that said:
>
> NAV AUTO-PROTECT
>
> Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files
>
>
> I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix the problem.
> I've
> uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed WindowsME, then
> re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-start my
> computer,
> the same error keeps popping up.
>
> SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
>
> Regards,
> --
> TelDash
March 21, 2005 3:53:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

In news:13F546EE-C207-436F-B818-C1472DA4406B@microsoft.com,
Dashman <Dashman@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my laptop, a
> RED DOS screen popped up with an error message that said:
>
> NAV AUTO-PROTECT
>
> Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files
>
>
> I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix the problem.
> I've uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed WindowsME,
> then re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-start
> my computer, the same error keeps popping up.
>
> SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
>
> Regards,

Don't quote me on this but it's my understanding that NAV and ME don't get
along that well. Then again Norton and ME haven't ever really gotten along
well from what I've seen. There's a bunch of free AV products that you can
use that do just as well. Here's a few to get you started. Pick the one you
like best?

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
www.clamwin.com - ClamWin¹
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust*

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a²
http://swatit.org/

All of these are free for home use. All of them are acceptable solutions to
your security needs.
¹ Does not provide full real-time scanning engine.

*My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
the page says this:
"Free software offer expires 2/1/05."
The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
your own.
With WinME you'll not get the full suite from CA, you'll just get the AV
product.

Galen


--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Related resources
March 21, 2005 1:26:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Just a shot in the dark here.... but try removing the
KB891711 update from your computer. Use the "add/remove"
function in Control Panel, reboot and then remove the file
KB891711 from: windows/system/kb891711

I have Norton Internet Security 2004 w/WinMe... other than
the fact the program uses huge amounts of ram, it seems to
function okay.

Is McAfee any better... or any others out there?

Mike

>-----Original Message-----
>I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my
laptop, a RED DOS
>screen popped up with an error message that said:
>
> NAV AUTO-PROTECT
>
>Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database
files
>
>
>I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix
the problem. I've
>uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed
WindowsME, then
>re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-
start my computer,
>the same error keeps popping up.
>
>SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
>
>Regards,
>--
>TelDash
>.
>
March 21, 2005 8:00:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Galen wrote:

<snip>

> *My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
> the page says this:
> "Free software offer expires 2/1/05."
> The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
> believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
> your own.
> With WinME you'll not get the full suite from CA, you'll just get the AV
> product.
>

The current free offer for EZAV is available until 8/01/05.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:03:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The Virus Bulletin
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/cert...

AV-Test
http://www.av-test.org/

--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:223101c52e43$784aed30$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Just a shot in the dark here.... but try removing the
> KB891711 update from your computer. Use the "add/remove"
> function in Control Panel, reboot and then remove the file
> KB891711 from: windows/system/kb891711
>
> I have Norton Internet Security 2004 w/WinMe... other than
> the fact the program uses huge amounts of ram, it seems to
> function okay.
>
> Is McAfee any better... or any others out there?
>
> Mike
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my
> laptop, a RED DOS
> >screen popped up with an error message that said:
> >
> > NAV AUTO-PROTECT
> >
> >Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database
> files
> >
> >
> >I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix
> the problem. I've
> >uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed
> WindowsME, then
> >re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-
> start my computer,
> >the same error keeps popping up.
> >
> >SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
> >
> >Regards,
> >--
> >TelDash
> >.
> >
!