Problem installing Norton Anti-Virus

I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my laptop, a RED DOS
screen popped up with an error message that said:

NAV AUTO-PROTECT

Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files

I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix the problem. I've
uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed WindowsME, then
re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-start my computer,
the same error keeps popping up.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!

Regards,
--
TelDash

Get a refund - Norton doesn't work well (if at all) in Win ME
Then get an AV that does work with ME - most others do!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Dashman" <Dashman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my laptop, a RED DOS
> screen popped up with an error message that said:
>
> NAV AUTO-PROTECT
>
> Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files
>

> I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix the problem.
> I've
> uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed WindowsME, then
> re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-start my
> computer,
> the same error keeps popping up.
>
> SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
>
> Regards,
> --
> TelDash

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:13F546EE-C207-436F-B818-C1472DA4406B@microsoft.com,
Dashman <Dashman@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I downloaded Norton Anti-Virus 2005. As I re-started my laptop, a
> RED DOS screen popped up with an error message that said:
>
> NAV AUTO-PROTECT
>
> Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files
>

> I know something is corrupt, but I don't know how to fix the problem.
> I've uninstalled the anti-virus software and re-installed WindowsME,
> then re-installed the anti-virus software, but everytime I re-start
> my computer, the same error keeps popping up.
>
> SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!
>
> Regards,

Don't quote me on this but it's my understanding that NAV and ME don't get
along that well. Then again Norton and ME haven't ever really gotten along
well from what I've seen. There's a bunch of free AV products that you can
use that do just as well. Here's a few to get you started. Pick the one you
like best?

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
www.clamwin.com - ClamWin¹
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust*

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a²
http://swatit.org/

All of these are free for home use. All of them are acceptable solutions to
your security needs.
¹ Does not provide full real-time scanning engine.

*My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
the page says this:
"Free software offer expires 2/1/05."
The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
your own.
With WinME you'll not get the full suite from CA, you'll just get the AV
product.

Galen

Mike

Splendid

Just a shot in the dark here.... but try removing the
KB891711 update from your computer. Use the "add/remove"
function in Control Panel, reboot and then remove the file
KB891711 from: windows/system/kb891711

I have Norton Internet Security 2004 w/WinMe... other than
the fact the program uses huge amounts of ram, it seems to
function okay.

Is McAfee any better... or any others out there?

Mike

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Galen wrote:

<snip>

> *My understanding CA is available free for a limited time. Please note that
> the page says this:
> "Free software offer expires 2/1/05."
> The number of times it has been given out as a viable option leads me to
> believe that this has been extended. You should, of course, verify this on
> your own.
> With WinME you'll not get the full suite from CA, you'll just get the AV
> product.

The current free offer for EZAV is available until 8/01/05.

The Virus Bulletin
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml