Is HP still putting print-heads on the ink cartridge?

I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper cartridges)
while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but avoided
permanent clogging problems).

Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?

I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?

The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!
--
Aloke
----

    "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
    >ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper cartridges)
    >while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but avoided
    >permanent clogging problems).
    >
    > Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >
    > I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?

    Do you mean the DeskJet 6540? I use one at work. It is very quick and prints
    nice photos with the optional photo cartridge. The HP cartridges for this
    printer have the printhead included.

    Regards,

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
    >>ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
    >>cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but
    >>avoided permanent clogging problems).
    >>
    >> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >>
    >> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
    >
    > Do you mean the DeskJet 6540? I use one at work. It is very quick and
    > prints nice photos with the optional photo cartridge. The HP cartridges
    > for this printer have the printhead included.

    That's what I meant .. Deskjet 6540.

    I am inclined to get the DJ 6540. I still have a soft spot for Epson's. My
    first printer was the original Stylus Color (6 years ago?). HP had nothing
    that came close to the ESC at that time. I replaced that with ESC740.
    However, that is dead now because of clogged printer head.

    Avoiding clogged head is superseding any differences in print quality,
    although I bet HP is comparable to Epson's in that regard by now.
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    Have a look at the new Canon iP3000, iP4000 or iP5000 printers. They are
    more than a match for Epson or HP

    Dave

    > "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
    >>>have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
    >>>cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
    >>>(but avoided permanent clogging problems).
    >>>
    >>> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >>>
    >>> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
    >>
    >> Do you mean the DeskJet 6540? I use one at work. It is very quick and
    >> prints nice photos with the optional photo cartridge. The HP cartridges
    >> for this printer have the printhead included.
    >
    > That's what I meant .. Deskjet 6540.
    >
    > I am inclined to get the DJ 6540. I still have a soft spot for Epson's.
    > My first printer was the original Stylus Color (6 years ago?). HP had
    > nothing that came close to the ESC at that time. I replaced that with
    > ESC740. However, that is dead now because of clogged printer head.
    >
    > Avoiding clogged head is superseding any differences in print quality,
    > although I bet HP is comparable to Epson's in that regard by now.
    > --
    > Aloke
    > ----
    > to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

    Yes, the designs you mention are pretty much still the same. HP makes
    some higher end printers with permanent or semi-permanent ink heads and
    separate ink cartridges. The only major difference I noticed from your
    statement is that Epson ink cartridges are now about the same cost as HP
    and others. Epson also added a chip that is read and written to and
    keeps track of the approximate amount of ink in the cartridge. If you
    wish to refill this cartridge, you need to reprogram the chip either
    with a hardware device or via software.

    Art

    Aloke Prasad wrote:

    > I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
    > ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper cartridges)
    > while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but avoided
    > permanent clogging problems).
    >
    > Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >
    > I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
    >
    > The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!

    Where do they put their printheads? In the printer? or on the cartridge?
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    "Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
    > Have a look at the new Canon iP3000, iP4000 or iP5000 printers. They are
    > more than a match for Epson or HP
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message

    Which HP printers use permanent or semi-permanent (what does that mean?)
    printheads?

    What does DJ6540 do?
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
    > Yes, the designs you mention are pretty much still the same. HP makes
    > some higher end printers with permanent or semi-permanent ink heads and
    > separate ink cartridges. The only major difference I noticed from your
    > statement is that Epson ink cartridges are now about the same cost as HP
    > and others. Epson also added a chip that is read and written to and keeps
    > track of the approximate amount of ink in the cartridge. If you wish to
    > refill this cartridge, you need to reprogram the chip either with a
    > hardware device or via software.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > Aloke Prasad wrote:
    >
    >> I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
    >> have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
    >> cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
    >> (but avoided permanent clogging problems).
    >>
    >> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >>
    >> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
    >>
    >> The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!

    "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote:

    >Which HP printers use permanent or semi-permanent (what does that mean?)
    >printheads?

    Among others, the HP2500 series uses separate heads that can be replaced
    independently from the ink carts. They still charge an arm & a leg for the ink
    though...

    Aloke Prasad wrote:
    > I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
    > have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
    > cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
    > (but avoided permanent clogging problems).
    >
    > Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >
    > I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
    >
    > The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look
    > tiny!!

    I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
    using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
    printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
    going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
    yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
    replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
    and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
    Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
    waste.
    lose his marbles?

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

    >I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
    >using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
    >printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
    >going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
    >yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
    >replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
    >and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
    >Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
    >waste.

    While that is certainly true in theory, I'm not convinced it's that big a deal
    in the real world. I switched from using HP color combo cart printers to an
    Epson with individual tanks. With almost a year's worth of experience, all three
    color tanks tend to go out very close to each other.

    Now, clearly that is because my color printing tends to be pretty balanced. But
    when you combine that with the fact that individual tanks are priced at 1/3 or
    more of the combo cart, there just hasn't been that big a savings.

    Your mileage may vary, of course.

    > Aloke Prasad wrote:
    >> I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
    >> have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
    >> cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
    >> (but avoided permanent clogging problems).
    >>
    >> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >>
    >> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
    >>
    >> The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look
    >> tiny!!
    >
    > I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
    > using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
    > Separate tanks are far less wasteful. Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan
    > cartridge and carry on printing - no waste.

    Very true. I was a die-hard Epson fan (bought 2 of their printers) until a
    persistent clog has put my ESC740 to sleep. New printers are too cheap to
    make it worthwhile to get this repaired.

    The idea of putting printheads on the cartridge is suddenly looking to be a
    good one..
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
    >>using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
    >>printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then
    >>you're
    >>going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan
    >>and
    >>yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
    >>replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a
    >>cartridge
    >>and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less
    >>wasteful.
    >>Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
    >>waste.
    >

    > While that is certainly true in theory, I'm not convinced it's that big a
    > deal
    > in the real world. I switched from using HP color combo cart printers to
    > an
    > Epson with individual tanks. With almost a year's worth of experience, all
    > three
    > color tanks tend to go out very close to each other.
    >
    > Now, clearly that is because my color printing tends to be pretty
    > balanced. But
    > when you combine that with the fact that individual tanks are priced at
    > 1/3 or
    > more of the combo cart, there just hasn't been that big a savings.
    >
    > Your mileage may vary, of course.

    I'm not defending HP over Epson, but between Epson R300 (or R200), and HP
    DJ6540, the R300 uses 6 cartridges. The 5 color ones add up to approx $50
    (@ $10 each at Sams Club). The HP uses a combo color cartridge that costs
    $30.

    The main Q is: do Epson's clog up frequently? Head cleaning wastes an
    enormous amount of ink.
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    > Which HP printers use permanent or semi-permanent (what does that mean?)
    > printheads?
    >
    > What does DJ6540 do?

    All HP Photosmart, PSC and DeskJet printers (including the DeskJet 6540) have
    integrated printehads and ink tanks.

    The following have separate user replaceable printheads and ink tanks (see
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-236251-236261.html):

    Business Inkjet 1200 series
    Color Inkjet CP 1700
    Business Inkjet 2300 series
    Business Inkjet 1100 series
    Business Inkjet 2600 series

    The following are all-in-one units with separate printheads (see
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-238444-410635.html):

    Officejet 9100 series
    Officejet 7100 series

    The above printers have ink tanks which are replaced when the ink runs out as
    well as separate printheads that are user replaceable but typically last much
    longer than a single ink tank.

    Regards,

    > I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
    > using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
    > printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
    > going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
    > yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
    > replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
    > and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
    > Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
    > waste.

    Nice theory, but not very accurate for a tri-color CMY ink with separate black
    system. Blue is a mixture of cyan and magenta and flesh tones have quite a bit
    of magenta as well. In "real life" printing the usage is pretty closely
    balanced. I once did a study of returned empty cartridges where the cartridge
    was disassembled and the foam sections for cyan, magenta and yellow were
    carefully weighed. Typically either cyan or yellow would run out first, but
    the second color was typically magenta, then yellow or cyan (whichever had not
    run out first). The ink remaining in the most full chamber was typically well
    less than 10%.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    In the printer, but they are removable by the end user.

    Regards
    Dave
    > Where do they put their printheads? In the printer? or on the cartridge?
    > --
    > Aloke
    > ----
    > to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
    >
    > "Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
    >> Have a look at the new Canon iP3000, iP4000 or iP5000 printers. They are
    >> more than a match for Epson or HP
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>
    >> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    For better or worse, I went with HP Photosmart 7960. It was available at
    Sam's club for $150.

    Replacable heads, built-in memory card readers, 2.5" LCD display are nice
    features.

    I have a feeling that corresponding Epson will still provide better looking
    output, but my needs are for general purpose color printing, not ton's of
    4x7 photos (Walmart is better for that).

    Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or 8
    pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    > For better or worse, I went with HP Photosmart 7960. It was available at
    > Sam's club for $150.

    I think you will find this a good choice, and with the proper paper you are
    unlikely to get better output.

    > Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or 8
    > pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?

    It is built into the driver. Click on the "finishing" tab, then click "poster
    printing" where you can select from 2x2 sheets up to 5x5 sheets.

    > "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message

    >> Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or
    >> 8 pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?
    >
    > It is built into the driver. Click on the "finishing" tab, then click
    > "poster printing" where you can select from 2x2 sheets up to 5x5 sheets.

    Thanks for the tip.
    I would recommend more documentation on the software and drivers that come
    with the printer.

    The PDF files on the web and CD refer to help files of installed software.
    Help files are difficult to print out and read at leisure. PDF
    documentation for the bundled software and driver would be useful..

    Thanks for all your help.
    --
    Aloke
    ----

    > "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or 8
    >>> pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?
    >>
    >> It is built into the driver. Click on the "finishing" tab, then click
    >> "poster printing" where you can select from 2x2 sheets up to 5x5 sheets.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip.
    > I would recommend more documentation on the software and drivers that come
    > with the printer.
    >
    > The PDF files on the web and CD refer to help files of installed software.
    > Help files are difficult to print out and read at leisure. PDF documentation
    > for the bundled software and driver would be useful..

    I will pass your suggestion on to the development team.

    Regards,

    In message <10kq2i1ng3dsmb2@corp.supernews.com>, Bob Headrick
    <bobh@proaxis.com> writes
    >Nice theory, but not very accurate for a tri-color CMY ink with separate black
    >system. Blue is a mixture of cyan and magenta and flesh tones have
    >quite a bit
    >of magenta as well. In "real life" printing the usage is pretty closely
    >balanced. I once did a study of returned empty cartridges where the cartridge
    >was disassembled and the foam sections for cyan, magenta and yellow were
    >carefully weighed. Typically either cyan or yellow would run out first, but
    >the second color was typically magenta, then yellow or cyan (whichever had not
    >run out first). The ink remaining in the most full chamber was typically well
    >less than 10%.

    I find that yellow and magenta run out almost in parallel with the cyan
    around 10% later, obviously it then depends on your printing volume as
    to whether that is an issue.

    --
    Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
    tlatwightpropertydotcom

    Thank you for this response, which reinforces my own tests, which had
    very similar results.

    This came up in another thread only a week or so ago, and the same
    person made the same "theory", in fact stated it as "fact". She/He then
    went on to repeat it in this thread, in spite of my indicating test
    results almost exactly the same as your own.

    Another factor that enters into negating potential savings of the
    individual color cartridges, at least with Epson printers, is that Epson
    now uses only one purge pump for all the colors, (they no longer use
    separate color and black heads, either) so each time a new cartridge is
    added, every cartridge is purged together, which uses up quite a bit of ink.

    Art

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    >

    >>I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
    >>using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
    >>printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
    >>going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
    >>yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
    >>replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
    >>and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
    >>Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
    >>waste.
    >

    > Nice theory, but not very accurate for a tri-color CMY ink with separate black
    > system. Blue is a mixture of cyan and magenta and flesh tones have quite a bit
    > of magenta as well. In "real life" printing the usage is pretty closely
    > balanced. I once did a study of returned empty cartridges where the cartridge
    > was disassembled and the foam sections for cyan, magenta and yellow were
    > carefully weighed. Typically either cyan or yellow would run out first, but
    > the second color was typically magenta, then yellow or cyan (whichever had not
    > run out first). The ink remaining in the most full chamber was typically well
    > less than 10%.
    >
    > Regards,
    > MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:18:07 GMT, "Aloke Prasad"
    <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote as underneath my scribble :

    Bear in mind that if a new version of Windows comes out after you buy
    your HP printer, you will only get the basic crippled drivers that
    come with the new OS, HP wont provide proper updated drivers in my
    experience, part of their policy.
    Charlie+

    >Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
    >
    >I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
    >
    >The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!

    Does anyone yet make a CIS for the HP Business Deskjet 1100?
    Separate inks, separate print tanks, and they don't move. Seems like
    it would be even simpler than the Epson's.
    Aloke Prasad wrote:
    > "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're
    still
    > >>using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say
    you're
    > >>printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass,
    then
    > >>you're
    > >>going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the
    cyan
    > >>and
    > >>yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
    > >>replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a
    > >>cartridge
    > >>and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less
    > >>wasteful.
    > >>Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing
    - no
    > >>waste.
    > >

    > > While that is certainly true in theory, I'm not convinced it's that
    big a
    > > deal
    > > in the real world. I switched from using HP color combo cart
    printers to
    > > an
    > > Epson with individual tanks. With almost a year's worth of
    experience, all
    > > three
    > > color tanks tend to go out very close to each other.
    > >
    > > Now, clearly that is because my color printing tends to be pretty
    > > balanced. But
    > > when you combine that with the fact that individual tanks are
    priced at
    > > 1/3 or
    > > more of the combo cart, there just hasn't been that big a savings.
    > >
    > > Your mileage may vary, of course.
    >
    > I'm not defending HP over Epson, but between Epson R300 (or R200),
    and HP
    > DJ6540, the R300 uses 6 cartridges. The 5 color ones add up to
    approx $50
    > (@ $10 each at Sams Club). The HP uses a combo color cartridge that
    costs
    > $30.
    >
    > The main Q is: do Epson's clog up frequently? Head cleaning wastes
    an
    > enormous amount of ink.
    > --
    > Aloke
    > ----
    > to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

    As an answer to Arthur Entlich, I have discovered that if, when the ink
    is very low but NOT OUT (before the white/red X) appears, you turn the
    printer off, then push on the white bar on the back and slide the ink
    cartridge carriage out, then change the low cartridge and slide the
    carriage back, that when you turn the printer back on and print
    something it recognizes the full cartridge and does not waste all of
    the ink by priming it and all of the other cartridges as well. I've
    done it a number of times and it works like a charm BUT, if it reaches
    the "all out" message, it doesn't work and doesn't recongnize the full
    cartridge. Now I'm trying to find a way to override the sensor that
    determines that it needs a new ink cartridge. If I could just do that,
    I could run the old cartridge completely out and then slide in a new
    one without any problems! Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

    Bob Barlow at rsbconstable@aol.com

    Bob wrote:

    >As an answer to Arthur Entlich, I have discovered that if, when the ink
    >is very low but NOT OUT (before the white/red X) appears, you turn the
    >printer off, then push on the white bar on the back and slide the ink
    >cartridge carriage out, then change the low cartridge and slide the
    >carriage back, that when you turn the printer back on and print
    >something it recognizes the full cartridge and does not waste all of
    >the ink by priming it and all of the other cartridges as well. I've
    >done it a number of times and it works like a charm BUT, if it reaches
    >the "all out" message, it doesn't work and doesn't recongnize the full
    >cartridge. Now I'm trying to find a way to override the sensor that
    >determines that it needs a new ink cartridge. If I could just do that,
    >I could run the old cartridge completely out and then slide in a new
    >one without any problems! Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

    I don't know what printer model you're using, but my fairly recent HP
    6540 will show low on ink, and then out of ink, and still continue to
    print until the ink is completely gone. Heck, even when the cartridge is
    completely dry, it still TRIES to print.

    Replacing the cartridge with a new one, resets the indicator and all is
    well again.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    Bill wrote:
    > Bob wrote:
    >
    > >As an answer to Arthur Entlich, I have discovered that if, when the
    ink
    > >is very low but NOT OUT (before the white/red X) appears, you turn
    the
    > >printer off, then push on the white bar on the back and slide the
    ink
    > >cartridge carriage out, then change the low cartridge and slide the
    > >carriage back, that when you turn the printer back on and print
    > >something it recognizes the full cartridge and does not waste all of
    > >the ink by priming it and all of the other cartridges as well. I've
    > >done it a number of times and it works like a charm BUT, if it
    reaches
    > >the "all out" message, it doesn't work and doesn't recongnize the
    full
    > >cartridge. Now I'm trying to find a way to override the sensor that
    > >determines that it needs a new ink cartridge. If I could just do
    that,
    > >I could run the old cartridge completely out and then slide in a new
    > >one without any problems! Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
    >
    > I don't know what printer model you're using, but my fairly recent HP
    > 6540 will show low on ink, and then out of ink, and still continue to
    > print until the ink is completely gone. Heck, even when the cartridge
    is
    > completely dry, it still TRIES to print.
    >
    > Replacing the cartridge with a new one, resets the indicator and all
    is
    > well again.

    Bill -- I sure wish that the R300 did as you HP does -- but it sure
    doesn't. Still trying to find an answer as to how to override the
    sensor in the R300. Epson must be trying to sell more ink that HP!

Printers Hewlett Packard Epson Peripherals