Is HP still putting print-heads on the ink cartridge?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
September 17, 2004 6:18:07 AM

I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper cartridges)
while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but avoided
permanent clogging problems).

Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?

I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?

The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!
--
Aloke
----

"Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
>ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper cartridges)
>while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but avoided
>permanent clogging problems).
>
> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>
> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?

Do you mean the DeskJet 6540? I use one at work. It is very quick and prints
nice photos with the optional photo cartridge. The HP cartridges for this
printer have the printhead included.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 17, 2004 3:09:20 PM

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>>I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
>>ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
>>cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but
>>avoided permanent clogging problems).
>>
>> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>>
>> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
>
> Do you mean the DeskJet 6540? I use one at work. It is very quick and
> prints nice photos with the optional photo cartridge. The HP cartridges
> for this printer have the printhead included.

That's what I meant .. Deskjet 6540.

I am inclined to get the DJ 6540. I still have a soft spot for Epson's. My
first printer was the original Stylus Color (6 years ago?). HP had nothing
that came close to the ESC at that time. I replaced that with ESC740.
However, that is dead now because of clogged printer head.

Avoiding clogged head is superseding any differences in print quality,
although I bet HP is comparable to Epson's in that regard by now.
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 10:35:32 AM

Have a look at the new Canon iP3000, iP4000 or iP5000 printers. They are
more than a match for Epson or HP

Dave

> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>>>I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
>>>have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
>>>cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
>>>(but avoided permanent clogging problems).
>>>
>>> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>>>
>>> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
>>
>> Do you mean the DeskJet 6540? I use one at work. It is very quick and
>> prints nice photos with the optional photo cartridge. The HP cartridges
>> for this printer have the printhead included.
>
> That's what I meant .. Deskjet 6540.
>
> I am inclined to get the DJ 6540. I still have a soft spot for Epson's.
> My first printer was the original Stylus Color (6 years ago?). HP had
> nothing that came close to the ESC at that time. I replaced that with
> ESC740. However, that is dead now because of clogged printer head.
>
> Avoiding clogged head is superseding any differences in print quality,
> although I bet HP is comparable to Epson's in that regard by now.
> --
> Aloke
> ----
> to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 1:42:17 PM

Yes, the designs you mention are pretty much still the same. HP makes
some higher end printers with permanent or semi-permanent ink heads and
separate ink cartridges. The only major difference I noticed from your
statement is that Epson ink cartridges are now about the same cost as HP
and others. Epson also added a chip that is read and written to and
keeps track of the approximate amount of ink in the cartridge. If you
wish to refill this cartridge, you need to reprogram the chip either
with a hardware device or via software.

Art

Aloke Prasad wrote:

> I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I have
> ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper cartridges)
> while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges (but avoided
> permanent clogging problems).
>
> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>
> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
>
> The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 3:23:55 PM

Where do they put their printheads? In the printer? or on the cartridge?
--
Aloke
----

"Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
> Have a look at the new Canon iP3000, iP4000 or iP5000 printers. They are
> more than a match for Epson or HP
>
> Dave
>
> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 3:25:15 PM

Which HP printers use permanent or semi-permanent (what does that mean?)
printheads?

What does DJ6540 do?
--
Aloke
----

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> Yes, the designs you mention are pretty much still the same. HP makes
> some higher end printers with permanent or semi-permanent ink heads and
> separate ink cartridges. The only major difference I noticed from your
> statement is that Epson ink cartridges are now about the same cost as HP
> and others. Epson also added a chip that is read and written to and keeps
> track of the approximate amount of ink in the cartridge. If you wish to
> refill this cartridge, you need to reprogram the chip either with a
> hardware device or via software.
>
> Art
>
> Aloke Prasad wrote:
>
>> I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
>> have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
>> cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
>> (but avoided permanent clogging problems).
>>
>> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>>
>> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
>>
>> The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 3:25:16 PM

"Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote:

>Which HP printers use permanent or semi-permanent (what does that mean?)
>printheads?

Among others, the HP2500 series uses separate heads that can be replaced
independently from the ink carts. They still charge an arm & a leg for the ink
though...
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 4:31:44 PM

Aloke Prasad wrote:
> I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
> have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
> cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
> (but avoided permanent clogging problems).
>
> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>
> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
>
> The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look
> tiny!!

I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
waste.
lose his marbles?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 4:31:45 PM

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
>using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
>printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
>going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
>yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
>replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
>and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
>Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
>waste.

While that is certainly true in theory, I'm not convinced it's that big a deal
in the real world. I switched from using HP color combo cart printers to an
Epson with individual tanks. With almost a year's worth of experience, all three
color tanks tend to go out very close to each other.

Now, clearly that is because my color printing tends to be pretty balanced. But
when you combine that with the fact that individual tanks are priced at 1/3 or
more of the combo cart, there just hasn't been that big a savings.

Your mileage may vary, of course.
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 6:05:38 PM

news:D 0V2d.61075$Cd6.59205@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> Aloke Prasad wrote:
>> I have been out-of-touch with inkjet issues for a while (3 years .. I
>> have ESC720). Back then, Epson had permanent printheads (and cheaper
>> cartridges) while HP put the heads on their more expensive cartridges
>> (but avoided permanent clogging problems).
>>
>> Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>>
>> I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
>>
>> The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look
>> tiny!!
>
> I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
> using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
> Separate tanks are far less wasteful. Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan
> cartridge and carry on printing - no waste.

Very true. I was a die-hard Epson fan (bought 2 of their printers) until a
persistent clog has put my ESC740 to sleep. New printers are too cheap to
make it worthwhile to get this repaired.

The idea of putting printheads on the cartridge is suddenly looking to be a
good one..
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 18, 2004 10:57:03 PM

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>
>>I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
>>using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
>>printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then
>>you're
>>going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan
>>and
>>yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
>>replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a
>>cartridge
>>and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less
>>wasteful.
>>Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
>>waste.
>

> While that is certainly true in theory, I'm not convinced it's that big a
> deal
> in the real world. I switched from using HP color combo cart printers to
> an
> Epson with individual tanks. With almost a year's worth of experience, all
> three
> color tanks tend to go out very close to each other.
>
> Now, clearly that is because my color printing tends to be pretty
> balanced. But
> when you combine that with the fact that individual tanks are priced at
> 1/3 or
> more of the combo cart, there just hasn't been that big a savings.
>
> Your mileage may vary, of course.

I'm not defending HP over Epson, but between Epson R300 (or R200), and HP
DJ6540, the R300 uses 6 cartridges. The 5 color ones add up to approx $50
(@ $10 each at Sams Club). The HP uses a combo color cartridge that costs
$30.

The main Q is: do Epson's clog up frequently? Head cleaning wastes an
enormous amount of ink.
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2004 1:05:00 AM

> Which HP printers use permanent or semi-permanent (what does that mean?)
> printheads?
>
> What does DJ6540 do?

All HP Photosmart, PSC and DeskJet printers (including the DeskJet 6540) have
integrated printehads and ink tanks.

The following have separate user replaceable printheads and ink tanks (see
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-236...):

Business Inkjet 1200 series
Color Inkjet CP 1700
Business Inkjet 2300 series
Business Inkjet 1100 series
Business Inkjet 2600 series

The following are all-in-one units with separate printheads (see
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02a/18972-238...):

Officejet 9100 series
Officejet 7100 series

The above printers have ink tanks which are replaced when the ink runs out as
well as separate printheads that are user replaceable but typically last much
longer than a single ink tank.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 19, 2004 1:25:36 AM

news:D 0V2d.61075$Cd6.59205@fe48.usenetserver.com...

> I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
> using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
> printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
> going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
> yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
> replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
> and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
> Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
> waste.

Nice theory, but not very accurate for a tri-color CMY ink with separate black
system. Blue is a mixture of cyan and magenta and flesh tones have quite a bit
of magenta as well. In "real life" printing the usage is pretty closely
balanced. I once did a study of returned empty cartridges where the cartridge
was disassembled and the foam sections for cyan, magenta and yellow were
carefully weighed. Typically either cyan or yellow would run out first, but
the second color was typically magenta, then yellow or cyan (whichever had not
run out first). The ink remaining in the most full chamber was typically well
less than 10%.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2004 12:55:11 PM

In the printer, but they are removable by the end user.

Regards
Dave
> Where do they put their printheads? In the printer? or on the cartridge?
> --
> Aloke
> ----
> to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
>
> "Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message
>> Have a look at the new Canon iP3000, iP4000 or iP5000 printers. They are
>> more than a match for Epson or HP
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 19, 2004 5:53:36 PM

For better or worse, I went with HP Photosmart 7960. It was available at
Sam's club for $150.

Replacable heads, built-in memory card readers, 2.5" LCD display are nice
features.

I have a feeling that corresponding Epson will still provide better looking
output, but my needs are for general purpose color printing, not ton's of
4x7 photos (Walmart is better for that).

Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or 8
pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 20, 2004 12:36:54 AM

> For better or worse, I went with HP Photosmart 7960. It was available at
> Sam's club for $150.

I think you will find this a good choice, and with the proper paper you are
unlikely to get better output.

> Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or 8
> pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?

It is built into the driver. Click on the "finishing" tab, then click "poster
printing" where you can select from 2x2 sheets up to 5x5 sheets.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 21, 2004 2:54:04 AM

> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message

>> Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or
>> 8 pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?
>
> It is built into the driver. Click on the "finishing" tab, then click
> "poster printing" where you can select from 2x2 sheets up to 5x5 sheets.

Thanks for the tip.
I would recommend more documentation on the software and drivers that come
with the printer.

The PDF files on the web and CD refer to help files of installed software.
Help files are difficult to print out and read at leisure. PDF
documentation for the bundled software and driver would be useful..

Thanks for all your help.
--
Aloke
----
to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 22, 2004 12:45:33 AM

> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Aloke Prasad" <aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>> Does HP offer any software to create posters (enlarge a picture over 6 or 8
>>> pages, that can be glued together to make a larhe poster)?
>>
>> It is built into the driver. Click on the "finishing" tab, then click
>> "poster printing" where you can select from 2x2 sheets up to 5x5 sheets.
>
> Thanks for the tip.
> I would recommend more documentation on the software and drivers that come
> with the printer.
>
> The PDF files on the web and CD refer to help files of installed software.
> Help files are difficult to print out and read at leisure. PDF documentation
> for the bundled software and driver would be useful..

I will pass your suggestion on to the development team.

Regards,
a b α HP
September 25, 2004 1:01:33 PM

In message <10kq2i1ng3dsmb2@corp.supernews.com>, Bob Headrick
<bobh@proaxis.com> writes
>Nice theory, but not very accurate for a tri-color CMY ink with separate black
>system. Blue is a mixture of cyan and magenta and flesh tones have
>quite a bit
>of magenta as well. In "real life" printing the usage is pretty closely
>balanced. I once did a study of returned empty cartridges where the cartridge
>was disassembled and the foam sections for cyan, magenta and yellow were
>carefully weighed. Typically either cyan or yellow would run out first, but
>the second color was typically magenta, then yellow or cyan (whichever had not
>run out first). The ink remaining in the most full chamber was typically well
>less than 10%.

I find that yellow and magenta run out almost in parallel with the cyan
around 10% later, obviously it then depends on your printing volume as
to whether that is an issue.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
tlatwightpropertydotcom

Thank you for this response, which reinforces my own tests, which had
very similar results.

This came up in another thread only a week or so ago, and the same
person made the same "theory", in fact stated it as "fact". She/He then
went on to repeat it in this thread, in spite of my indicating test
results almost exactly the same as your own.

Another factor that enters into negating potential savings of the
individual color cartridges, at least with Epson printers, is that Epson
now uses only one purge pump for all the colors, (they no longer use
separate color and black heads, either) so each time a new cartridge is
added, every cartridge is purged together, which uses up quite a bit of ink.

Art

Bob Headrick wrote:

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
> news:D 0V2d.61075$Cd6.59205@fe48.usenetserver.com...
>

>>I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're still
>>using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say you're
>>printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass, then you're
>>going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the cyan and
>>yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
>>replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a cartridge
>>and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less wasteful.
>>Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing - no
>>waste.
>

> Nice theory, but not very accurate for a tri-color CMY ink with separate black
> system. Blue is a mixture of cyan and magenta and flesh tones have quite a bit
> of magenta as well. In "real life" printing the usage is pretty closely
> balanced. I once did a study of returned empty cartridges where the cartridge
> was disassembled and the foam sections for cyan, magenta and yellow were
> carefully weighed. Typically either cyan or yellow would run out first, but
> the second color was typically magenta, then yellow or cyan (whichever had not
> run out first). The ink remaining in the most full chamber was typically well
> less than 10%.
>
> Regards,
> MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 27, 2004 12:31:59 PM

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 02:18:07 GMT, "Aloke Prasad"
<aprasad123@columbus.rr.invalid> wrote as underneath my scribble :

Bear in mind that if a new version of Windows comes out after you buy
your HP printer, you will only get the basic crippled drivers that
come with the new OS, HP wont provide proper updated drivers in my
experience, part of their policy.
Charlie+

>Is that still true for their current mid-priced products?
>
>I am considering Epson R300 vs. HP DJ6450. Any opinions on these?
>
>The Epson has 6 separate cartridges ($10 each), but boy they look tiny!!
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 27, 2005 1:27:41 PM

Does anyone yet make a CIS for the HP Business Deskjet 1100?
Separate inks, separate print tanks, and they don't move. Seems like
it would be even simpler than the Epson's.
Aloke Prasad wrote:
> "Clark W. Griswold, Jr." <spamtrap100@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
> >
> >>I don't know much about HPs (having never owned one) but if they're
still
> >>using the two-cartridge system, then 'larger' is false economy. Say
you're
> >>printing a landscape scene, consisting mainly of sky and grass,
then
> >>you're
> >>going to run out of cyan and yellow before you do magenta. Once the
cyan
> >>and
> >>yellow have gone, the cartridge will register empty and will need
> >>replacing/refilling. You'll be ditching a third (or whatever) of a
> >>cartridge
> >>and throwing money away (literally!). Separate tanks are far less
> >>wasteful.
> >>Out of cyan? Just replace the cyan cartridge and carry on printing
- no
> >>waste.
> >

> > While that is certainly true in theory, I'm not convinced it's that
big a
> > deal
> > in the real world. I switched from using HP color combo cart
printers to
> > an
> > Epson with individual tanks. With almost a year's worth of
experience, all
> > three
> > color tanks tend to go out very close to each other.
> >
> > Now, clearly that is because my color printing tends to be pretty
> > balanced. But
> > when you combine that with the fact that individual tanks are
priced at
> > 1/3 or
> > more of the combo cart, there just hasn't been that big a savings.
> >
> > Your mileage may vary, of course.
>
> I'm not defending HP over Epson, but between Epson R300 (or R200),
and HP
> DJ6540, the R300 uses 6 cartridges. The 5 color ones add up to
approx $50
> (@ $10 each at Sams Club). The HP uses a combo color cartridge that
costs
> $30.
>
> The main Q is: do Epson's clog up frequently? Head cleaning wastes
an
> enormous amount of ink.
> --
> Aloke
> ----
> to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com
February 25, 2005 12:48:37 PM

As an answer to Arthur Entlich, I have discovered that if, when the ink
is very low but NOT OUT (before the white/red X) appears, you turn the
printer off, then push on the white bar on the back and slide the ink
cartridge carriage out, then change the low cartridge and slide the
carriage back, that when you turn the printer back on and print
something it recognizes the full cartridge and does not waste all of
the ink by priming it and all of the other cartridges as well. I've
done it a number of times and it works like a charm BUT, if it reaches
the "all out" message, it doesn't work and doesn't recongnize the full
cartridge. Now I'm trying to find a way to override the sensor that
determines that it needs a new ink cartridge. If I could just do that,
I could run the old cartridge completely out and then slide in a new
one without any problems! Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

Bob Barlow at rsbconstable@aol.com
February 25, 2005 9:48:23 PM

Bob wrote:

>As an answer to Arthur Entlich, I have discovered that if, when the ink
>is very low but NOT OUT (before the white/red X) appears, you turn the
>printer off, then push on the white bar on the back and slide the ink
>cartridge carriage out, then change the low cartridge and slide the
>carriage back, that when you turn the printer back on and print
>something it recognizes the full cartridge and does not waste all of
>the ink by priming it and all of the other cartridges as well. I've
>done it a number of times and it works like a charm BUT, if it reaches
>the "all out" message, it doesn't work and doesn't recongnize the full
>cartridge. Now I'm trying to find a way to override the sensor that
>determines that it needs a new ink cartridge. If I could just do that,
>I could run the old cartridge completely out and then slide in a new
>one without any problems! Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

I don't know what printer model you're using, but my fairly recent HP
6540 will show low on ink, and then out of ink, and still continue to
print until the ink is completely gone. Heck, even when the cartridge is
completely dry, it still TRIES to print.

Replacing the cartridge with a new one, resets the indicator and all is
well again.
March 2, 2005 10:58:34 PM

Bill wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
> >As an answer to Arthur Entlich, I have discovered that if, when the
ink
> >is very low but NOT OUT (before the white/red X) appears, you turn
the
> >printer off, then push on the white bar on the back and slide the
ink
> >cartridge carriage out, then change the low cartridge and slide the
> >carriage back, that when you turn the printer back on and print
> >something it recognizes the full cartridge and does not waste all of
> >the ink by priming it and all of the other cartridges as well. I've
> >done it a number of times and it works like a charm BUT, if it
reaches
> >the "all out" message, it doesn't work and doesn't recongnize the
full
> >cartridge. Now I'm trying to find a way to override the sensor that
> >determines that it needs a new ink cartridge. If I could just do
that,
> >I could run the old cartridge completely out and then slide in a new
> >one without any problems! Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
>
> I don't know what printer model you're using, but my fairly recent HP
> 6540 will show low on ink, and then out of ink, and still continue to
> print until the ink is completely gone. Heck, even when the cartridge
is
> completely dry, it still TRIES to print.
>
> Replacing the cartridge with a new one, resets the indicator and all
is
> well again.

Bill -- I sure wish that the R300 did as you HP does -- but it sure
doesn't. Still trying to find an answer as to how to override the
sensor in the R300. Epson must be trying to sell more ink that HP!
!