Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Trying to Install a Win 3.1 Application into Win XP Pro

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 9:47:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I cannot get a Hallmark Connections Card Studio program to install on my Win XP Pro computer.

I keep receiving and "Application Error" pop-up that says: "CSTUDIO caused a General Protection Fault in module CSTUDIO. EXE at 0006.1176.

Choose close. CSTUDIO will close."

Then the installation process closes completely.

Initially, I thought that it was just too old, as it is a Win 3.1 - 16 bit - program. However, it was successfully installed on another computer connected to my home network, which is also running Win XP Pro.

My question, What could be blocking the installation on one computer but not the other?

Thanks.
--
The buck gains considerable velocity by the time it reaches my desk.

StormTight
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:56:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Probably mismatched versions of dlls.

Type tasklist /m while the program is still open to see what dlls it is using.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"StormTight" <StormTight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:529AA415-ADA0-4EDE-B3F5-7802D92AE903@microsoft.com...
> I cannot get a Hallmark Connections Card Studio program to install on my Win XP Pro computer.
>
> I keep receiving and "Application Error" pop-up that says: "CSTUDIO caused a General Protection Fault in module CSTUDIO. EXE at 0006.1176.
>
> Choose close. CSTUDIO will close."
>
> Then the installation process closes completely.
>
> Initially, I thought that it was just too old, as it is a Win 3.1 - 16 bit - program. However, it was successfully installed on another computer connected to my home network, which is also running Win XP Pro.
>
> My question, What could be blocking the installation on one computer but not the other?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> The buck gains considerable velocity by the time it reaches my desk.
>
> StormTight
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

David, Not sure how I get to the stage where I type the command, as I can't get the program to install/open. Am I missing something? Thanks for the response.
--
The buck gains considerable velocity by the time it reaches my desk.

StormTight


"David Candy" wrote:

> Probably mismatched versions of dlls.
>
> Type tasklist /m while the program is still open to see what dlls it is using.
>
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...
>
> "StormTight" <StormTight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:529AA415-ADA0-4EDE-B3F5-7802D92AE903@microsoft.com...
> > I cannot get a Hallmark Connections Card Studio program to install on my Win XP Pro computer.
> >
> > I keep receiving and "Application Error" pop-up that says: "CSTUDIO caused a General Protection Fault in module CSTUDIO. EXE at 0006.1176.
> >
> > Choose close. CSTUDIO will close."
> >
> > Then the installation process closes completely.
> >
> > Initially, I thought that it was just too old, as it is a Win 3.1 - 16 bit - program. However, it was successfully installed on another computer connected to my home network, which is also running Win XP Pro.
> >
> > My question, What could be blocking the installation on one computer but not the other?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > The buck gains considerable velocity by the time it reaches my desk.
> >
> > StormTight
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 3:34:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

It should be in memory when the error dialog is shown.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...

"StormTight" <StormTight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10399BCD-F6EB-4349-9A92-9203562A5A53@microsoft.com...
> David, Not sure how I get to the stage where I type the command, as I can't get the program to install/open. Am I missing something? Thanks for the response.
> --
> The buck gains considerable velocity by the time it reaches my desk.
>
> StormTight
>
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
> > Probably mismatched versions of dlls.
> >
> > Type tasklist /m while the program is still open to see what dlls it is using.
> >
> > --
> > ----------------------------------------------------------
> > 'Not happy John! Defending our democracy',
> > http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123...
> >
> > "StormTight" <StormTight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:529AA415-ADA0-4EDE-B3F5-7802D92AE903@microsoft.com...
> > > I cannot get a Hallmark Connections Card Studio program to install on my Win XP Pro computer.
> > >
> > > I keep receiving and "Application Error" pop-up that says: "CSTUDIO caused a General Protection Fault in module CSTUDIO. EXE at 0006.1176.
> > >
> > > Choose close. CSTUDIO will close."
> > >
> > > Then the installation process closes completely.
> > >
> > > Initially, I thought that it was just too old, as it is a Win 3.1 - 16 bit - program. However, it was successfully installed on another computer connected to my home network, which is also running Win XP Pro.
> > >
> > > My question, What could be blocking the installation on one computer but not the other?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > --
> > > The buck gains considerable velocity by the time it reaches my desk.
> > >
> > > StormTight
> >
February 16, 2007 2:10:43 AM

I have the same problem.

I have a solution though.

Solution:
After opening the program quickly press down ALT and then TAB and then quickly let go of the 2 buttons.

My theory is that the splash screen is causing the problem.
February 16, 2007 9:35:08 PM

While I'm using Windows XP not Pro I always set up a small FAT partition for the DOS program I use. To install it I have to right click on the first disk and click open and then click on the install exe file.
March 10, 2007 3:27:08 PM

XP has a facility where you can force older programs to run under simulated versions of Windows - i.e. you can "fool" the program into thinking that it is running under a older version of Windows.

XP has extra features like a new Luna interface, 32bit Colour and Omission of 256 Colour option in the control panel. Also the fact that it is an NT platform and nothing like Windows 3.1 and 95 can also throw older applications off course.

Try this

Put the install CD in the CD-ROM drive and cancel any autorun programs. A little handy trick I use is to hold down the Shift Key as soon as the tray closes, that way it interrupts any autorun procedures, XP simply acknowledges that the CD is in the drive and the My Computer icon for the drive changes accordingly.

Then go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Program Compatibility Wizard.

A window will appear introducing the feature, so when prompted follow the instructions. Upon clicking next the screen will have an option "I want to use a program in the CD-ROM drive". Select that and click next. If if says it could not find any programs and click Cancel to manually search for them then do so, click the Browse button and then find the Setup.exe file from the CD ROM you use to install the program.

Then when it asks choose a compatibility mode, select Windows 95 and click next. The last few options shouldn't need changing but if it still causes problems then you may want to return to this wizard only next time round ticking one or all of these options as you go along:

Disable Visual Themes
256 Colors
640 x 480 Screen Resolution

Disabling Visual Themes will make the program run with normal Windows Themes (i.e. no fading or sliding of the menus, no colourful Orange close buttons or bulky title bars).

256 Colours and 640 x 480 screen resolution will cause drastic changes to your display when the program is in use, hence the reason they should be used as a last resort. The former will make all graphics and colours onscreen look blotchy and fuzzy as the PC is having to "improvise" being limited to 256 Colours (XP has been designed around 32bit Colour Palette i.e. 1 billion colours), and the latter will severely reduce desktop space to a ridiculous degree, hence the reason XP omitted that option from the Control Panel! 640 x 480 resolution should be an extremely last resort, especially as you will need the desktop space to design the damn cards!! :lol: 

Keep playing around with the program compatibility wizard for the installation program. Then once its installed, hunt down the main exe file for the installed program and consider re running the compatibility wizard for that program, following the above steps through trial and error if the installed program starts misbehaving.

Good luck!
March 13, 2007 12:53:41 AM

I should have mentioned that my problem is with the same program CSTUDIO (Mine goes by the name Everyday Greetings).

I tried the different windows compatibility modes but with no success. The ALT+TAB trick is the only thing that has worked for me. Hopefully this helps some other user.
May 11, 2008 11:08:59 AM

Same exact problem, and wife loves that program so I had to find
the solution.
Go to Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Languages/Details/
Advanced and click on "Turn off advanced text services"

A lot of other problems you've had will disappear.
May 14, 2008 10:50:57 AM

Rick Smith.....Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...you are a genius. thank you so much for you post..it fixed my problem but does it affect anything else??
Anonymous
November 2, 2009 11:59:41 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! I have been messing with this way too long and then I found your solution today. :-)
Anonymous
August 26, 2010 11:42:02 PM

Wow! This solution really helps a lot! I've been looking for this answer for years.

Cheers!

Thanks Rick Smith. :D  :D  :D 
August 28, 2010 1:09:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!