I've "inherited" my wife's old laptop running Win 2000.

It's a Compaq Armada 500 with a P2 and about 5 gig of HDD (and appallingly
slow) but I can find a use for it IF I can get it to run a bit faster.

I've booted it into DOS with a WIN Me boot disc but can't find the C drive
to format it, presumably because ME and 2000 have a different HDD FAT
setting (??).

How do I kill Win 2000?

Andrew Bowie
abowie@internode.on.net
www.users.on.net/abowie

Use FDISK to delete the partition and remake a new one in FAT32 - then
format it.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Zboing Mouflon" <zboing@bigzboing.co> wrote in message
> I've "inherited" my wife's old laptop running Win 2000.
>
> It's a Compaq Armada 500 with a P2 and about 5 gig of HDD (and appallingly
> slow) but I can find a use for it IF I can get it to run a bit faster.
>
> I've booted it into DOS with a WIN Me boot disc but can't find the C drive
> to format it, presumably because ME and 2000 have a different HDD FAT
> setting (??).
>
> How do I kill Win 2000?
>
> Andrew Bowie
> abowie@internode.on.net
> www.users.on.net/abowie

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:423cf832$1@duster.adelaide.on.net,
Zboing Mouflon <zboing@bigzboing.co> had this to say:

> I've "inherited" my wife's old laptop running Win 2000.
>
> It's a Compaq Armada 500 with a P2 and about 5 gig of HDD (and
> appallingly slow) but I can find a use for it IF I can get it to run
> a bit faster.
>
> I've booted it into DOS with a WIN Me boot disc but can't find the C
> drive to format it, presumably because ME and 2000 have a different
> HDD FAT setting (??).
>
> How do I kill Win 2000?
>
> Andrew Bowie
> abowie@internode.on.net
> www.users.on.net/abowie

You'll want a handy dandy boot disk with NTFS support as that's likely the
format of the drive. You can get such a critter from www.bootdisk.com (or,
if you'd like a direct link to the downloads)
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Galen