A Simple question! How do I view my memory/hard drive space?

Hi,
Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on my hard
drive and much memory I have free?
I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a "good"
amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper ranges
and I'm not sure that's enough!
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
measured using the same units, are NOT the same.

Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the amount
of storage space on your system.

"Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on my
> hard
> drive and much memory I have free?
> I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a "good"
> amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper
> ranges
> and I'm not sure that's enough!
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply tho!
Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is what I
was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess I've lost
3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
Thanks again
Mark

"Jerry" wrote:

> You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
> measured using the same units, are NOT the same.
>
> Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the amount
> of storage space on your system.
>
> "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on my
> > hard
> > drive and much memory I have free?
> > I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a "good"
> > amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper
> > ranges
> > and I'm not sure that's enough!
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Mark

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.

Heather
> Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
> wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply tho!
> Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is what I
> was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess I've
lost
> 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
> Thanks again
> Mark
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
> > You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
> > measured using the same units, are NOT the same.
> >
> > Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the
amount
> > of storage space on your system.
> >
> > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on
my
> > > hard
> > > drive and much memory I have free?
> > > I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a
"good"
> > > amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper
> > > ranges
> > > and I'm not sure that's enough!
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Mark

Thanks Heather, erm, how do I do that exactly? When I click on the (D) in
Explorer it just tells me to insert a disc. Hmm..
Mark

"Heather" wrote:

> Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
>
> Heather
> "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
> > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply tho!
> > Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is what I
> > was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess I've
> lost
> > 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
> > Thanks again
> > Mark
> >
> > "Jerry" wrote:
> >
> > > You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
> > > measured using the same units, are NOT the same.
> > >
> > > Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the
> amount
> > > of storage space on your system.
> > >
> > > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my
> "good"

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I see Mike has given you a very detailed explanation, grin!!

My D Drive holds the WinME folders only.....and is just 2 GB. I was
guessing as to the letter on yours. My E & F are CD Rom drives.....and they
don't count!

Obviously your D drive is a CD rom drive.

A chastened Figgs......lol.

Cheers....Heather

> Thanks Heather, erm, how do I do that exactly? When I click on the (D) in
> Explorer it just tells me to insert a disc. Hmm..
> Mark
>
> "Heather" wrote:
>
> > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
> >
> > Heather
> > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
> > > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply
tho!
> > > Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is
what I
> > > was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess
I've
> > lost
> > > 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
> > > Thanks again
> > > Mark

> > amount

> > my
> > "good"

Mark,

Use Windows Explorer to check the amount of space available on your hard
disk. As for free memory (that is RAM and virtual memory) I would
strongly recommend that you forget about this and let the operating system
look after memory management for you, something it is designed to do and
does pretty well.

XP works well in a partition of around 8GB. Win Me works well in a
partition of around 2GB. Any additional hard disk space will be used to
store your data. Depending on what you do with your computer 80GB will
probably do very nicely although it you work with large video files and do
video editing you would need more.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on
> my hard drive and much memory I have free?
> I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a
> "good" amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the
> cheaper ranges and I'm not sure that's enough!
> Thanks in advance,

Mark,

You haven't "lost" any hard disk space. Your hard disk today is exactly
the same size as when you bought it. However the 40GB hard disk that you
bought was a "marketing" 40 GB, that is 40,000,000,000 bytes with
1,000,000,000 bytes equalling one gigabyte. However Windows Explorer like
most computer uses a binary definition of a gigabyte which is 2**30 or
1,073,741,824 bytes. So what "marketing" call 40GB is in fact 40 x 10**9
/ 2**30 which is 37.25GB which is roughly what you are seeing in Windows
Explorer.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
> wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply
> tho! Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart
> is what I was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so
> I guess I've lost 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I
> started with 40!
> Thanks again

Mike,
Ah, well, it seems so obvious now! *ahem* (o: I get the gist, though, that's
the main thing! Thanks very much for all your help, I've learnt a few things
tonight (including that 80GB will probably be ample! Someone told me I'd be
unable to play super spanky high spec games like Half Life 2 with a mere
80GB, but I have my doubts as to the validity of that! Although, if you're
still feeling helpful?..)!
Regards
Mark

"Mike M" wrote:

> Mark,
>
> You haven't "lost" any hard disk space. Your hard disk today is exactly
> the same size as when you bought it. However the 40GB hard disk that you
> bought was a "marketing" 40 GB, that is 40,000,000,000 bytes with
> 1,000,000,000 bytes equalling one gigabyte. However Windows Explorer like
> most computer uses a binary definition of a gigabyte which is 2**30 or
> 1,073,741,824 bytes. So what "marketing" call 40GB is in fact 40 x 10**9
> / 2**30 which is 37.25GB which is roughly what you are seeing in Windows
> Explorer.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
> > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply
> > tho! Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart
> > is what I was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so
> > I guess I've lost 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I
> > started with 40!
> > Thanks again

barryg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2002

Mike,

Did you know there are 10 types of people in the world? Those who understand
binary maths, and those who don't!

Good luck,
BarryG

Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.

Or do some binary maths. <g>
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

> Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
>
> Or do some binary maths. <g>

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.

And I am going to throw this computer out the window very shortly.....except
I will be darned if I let this beat me. Works fine, but I was getting some
odd errors. Think I have those sorted out now.

Second hard drive......here I come. Or maybe a new computer!!

Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and am mad
at myself. But it will be OK.

Cheers.....the non-math person.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mark,

I'm not a gamer but http://halflife2.filefront.com/info/HL2_Requirements
shows the system requirements for Half Life 2 to include 4.5GB of hard
disk space.

BTW Google is an excellent tool to use when seeking the answer to
questions such as yours.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Ah, well, it seems so obvious now! *ahem* (o: I get the gist, though,
> that's the main thing! Thanks very much for all your help, I've
> learnt a few things tonight (including that 80GB will probably be
> ample! Someone told me I'd be unable to play super spanky high spec
> games like Half Life 2 with a mere 80GB, but I have my doubts as to
> the validity of that! Although, if you're still feeling helpful?..)!
> Regards

Mike,
Yes, sorry! I would normally Google, but I was feeling lazy (and a bit
pushed for time!) earlier! Also, I know I'm getting the correct info if I
come here!
Thanks for your patience!
Mark

"Mike M" wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I'm not a gamer but http://halflife2.filefront.com/info/HL2_Requirements
> shows the system requirements for Half Life 2 to include 4.5GB of hard
> disk space.
>
> BTW Google is an excellent tool to use when seeking the answer to
> questions such as yours.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Ah, well, it seems so obvious now! *ahem* (o: I get the gist, though,
> > that's the main thing! Thanks very much for all your help, I've
> > learnt a few things tonight (including that 80GB will probably be
> > ample! Someone told me I'd be unable to play super spanky high spec
> > games like Half Life 2 with a mere 80GB, but I have my doubts as to
> > the validity of that! Although, if you're still feeling helpful?..)!
> > Regards

Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.
>
> And I am going to throw this computer out the window very
> shortly.....except I will be darned if I let this beat me. Works
> fine, but I was getting some odd errors. Think I have those sorted
> out now.
>
> Second hard drive......here I come. Or maybe a new computer!!
>
> Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and
> am mad at myself. But it will be OK.

e-mail on its way.
--
Mike

Shane

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
> >
> > Or do some binary maths. <g>
>
> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.

What about hex?

Shane

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

> > > Or do some binary maths. <g>
> >
> > You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.
> >

> What about hex?

I have a headache.......

Figgs :cool:)

> Shane

Mark, if running Half Life 2 is your goal, the cpu speed, the amount of
physical memory, its speed, the rotational speed of the HD, the speed of the
IDE controller (or SATA), AND the power of the video card are the important
factors. Any two, or more, year older machine will probably run it, but
will disappoint.

Use Belarc Advisor and Everest to find out some of this stuff on your
current box:

Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Everest Home Edition www.lavalys.hu

The video card is important:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

In a new machine, you might want to consider putting the OS and Half Life 2
on a Western Digital 30 GB, 10,000 rpm SATA drive, and use 1 GB of PC3200
RAM.
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

<SNIP>

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What about hex?

That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
practice this all the time.
--
Mike

ROFL
Joan

Mike M wrote:

> That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
> practice this all the time.

<lol> You do something stupid, never <vbg>
Joan

Heather wrote:

> Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and am mad
> at myself. But it will be OK.
>
> Cheers.....the non-math person.

Barry:

My question would be, 'what is the need for this "binary math".
this differential in reporting the 'size', which should be 'actual',
shouldn't it?
Just a question on this subject, mind you.

Harry.

"BarryG" <BarryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> Did you know there are 10 types of people in the world? Those who
understand
> binary maths, and those who don't!
>
> Good luck,
> BarryG
>
> "Mike M" wrote:
>
> > Mark,
> >
> > You haven't "lost" any hard disk space. Your hard disk today is exactly
> > the same size as when you bought it. However the 40GB hard disk that
you
> > bought was a "marketing" 40 GB, that is 40,000,000,000 bytes with
> > 1,000,000,000 bytes equalling one gigabyte. However Windows Explorer
like
> > most computer uses a binary definition of a gigabyte which is 2**30 or
> > 1,073,741,824 bytes. So what "marketing" call 40GB is in fact 40 x
10**9
> > / 2**30 which is 37.25GB which is roughly what you are seeing in Windows
> > Explorer.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

Yup....something I often wondered how people could be so dumb to do.....now
I know. (G) Tired, not thinking, not double-checking.....and so on.

One of those things that makes you go "OH NO!!!!" as it happens and there
ain't no way of stopping it.

Cheers....Heather

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <lol> You do something stupid, never <vbg>
> Joan
>
> Heather wrote:
>
> > Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and am
mad
> > at myself. But it will be OK.
> >
> > Cheers.....the non-math person.

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What about hex?
>
> That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
> practice this all the time.

ROFL!! You surprised me, Sir Michael.......with your insight into female
wiles!!

The Witch from the West.

webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

> My question would be, 'what is the need for this "binary math".

Simply because otherwise you would be unable to understand the reason for
the different numbers reported. That is why a drive sold as 40GB appears
in Windows Explorer as being around 37GB.