A Simple question! How do I view my memory/hard drive space?

Hi,
Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on my hard
drive and much memory I have free?
I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a "good"
amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper ranges
and I'm not sure that's enough!
Thanks in advance,
Mark
32 answers Last reply
More about simple question view memory hard drive space

    You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
    measured using the same units, are NOT the same.

    Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the amount
    of storage space on your system.

    "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on my
    > hard
    > drive and much memory I have free?
    > I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a "good"
    > amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper
    > ranges
    > and I'm not sure that's enough!
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Mark

    Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
    wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply tho!
    Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is what I
    was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess I've lost
    3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
    Thanks again
    Mark

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
    > measured using the same units, are NOT the same.
    >
    > Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the amount
    > of storage space on your system.
    >
    > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on my
    > > hard
    > > drive and much memory I have free?
    > > I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a "good"
    > > amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper
    > > ranges
    > > and I'm not sure that's enough!
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Mark

    Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.

    Heather
    > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
    > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply tho!
    > Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is what I
    > was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess I've
    lost
    > 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
    > Thanks again
    > Mark
    >
    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >
    > > You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
    > > measured using the same units, are NOT the same.
    > >
    > > Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the
    amount
    > > of storage space on your system.
    > >
    > > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on
    my
    > > > hard
    > > > drive and much memory I have free?
    > > > I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a
    "good"
    > > > amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the cheaper
    > > > ranges
    > > > and I'm not sure that's enough!
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > Mark

    Thanks Heather, erm, how do I do that exactly? When I click on the (D) in
    Explorer it just tells me to insert a disc. Hmm..
    Mark

    "Heather" wrote:

    > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
    >
    > Heather
    > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
    > > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply tho!
    > > Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is what I
    > > was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess I've
    > lost
    > > 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
    > > Thanks again
    > > Mark
    > >
    > > "Jerry" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You better do some more reading - memory and harddrive space, though
    > > > measured using the same units, are NOT the same.
    > > >
    > > > Memory is the amount of RAM on your system and harddrive space is the
    > amount
    > > > of storage space on your system.
    > > >
    > > > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my
    > "good"

    I see Mike has given you a very detailed explanation, grin!!

    My D Drive holds the WinME folders only.....and is just 2 GB. I was
    guessing as to the letter on yours. My E & F are CD Rom drives.....and they
    don't count!

    Obviously your D drive is a CD rom drive.

    A chastened Figgs......lol.

    Cheers....Heather

    > Thanks Heather, erm, how do I do that exactly? When I click on the (D) in
    > Explorer it just tells me to insert a disc. Hmm..
    > Mark
    >
    > "Heather" wrote:
    >
    > > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
    > >
    > > Heather
    > > "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
    > > > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply
    tho!
    > > > Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart is
    what I
    > > > was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so I guess
    I've
    > > lost
    > > > 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I started with 40!
    > > > Thanks again
    > > > Mark

    > > amount

    > > my
    > > "good"

    Mark,

    Use Windows Explorer to check the amount of space available on your hard
    disk. As for free memory (that is RAM and virtual memory) I would
    strongly recommend that you forget about this and let the operating system
    look after memory management for you, something it is designed to do and
    does pretty well.

    XP works well in a partition of around 8GB. Win Me works well in a
    partition of around 2GB. Any additional hard disk space will be used to
    store your data. Depending on what you do with your computer 80GB will
    probably do very nicely although it you work with large video files and do
    video editing you would need more.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Can someone please tell me how to view how much space I have left on
    > my hard drive and much memory I have free?
    > I'm thinking of getting a new PC (with XP!) and want to know what a
    > "good" amount of memory is to go for! 80GB seems to be the max in the
    > cheaper ranges and I'm not sure that's enough!
    > Thanks in advance,

    Mark,

    You haven't "lost" any hard disk space. Your hard disk today is exactly
    the same size as when you bought it. However the 40GB hard disk that you
    bought was a "marketing" 40 GB, that is 40,000,000,000 bytes with
    1,000,000,000 bytes equalling one gigabyte. However Windows Explorer like
    most computer uses a binary definition of a gigabyte which is 2**30 or
    1,073,741,824 bytes. So what "marketing" call 40GB is in fact 40 x 10**9
    / 2**30 which is 37.25GB which is roughly what you are seeing in Windows
    Explorer.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
    > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply
    > tho! Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart
    > is what I was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so
    > I guess I've lost 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I
    > started with 40!
    > Thanks again

    Mike,
    Ah, well, it seems so obvious now! *ahem* (o: I get the gist, though, that's
    the main thing! Thanks very much for all your help, I've learnt a few things
    tonight (including that 80GB will probably be ample! Someone told me I'd be
    unable to play super spanky high spec games like Half Life 2 with a mere
    80GB, but I have my doubts as to the validity of that! Although, if you're
    still feeling helpful?..)!
    Regards
    Mark

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Mark,
    >
    > You haven't "lost" any hard disk space. Your hard disk today is exactly
    > the same size as when you bought it. However the 40GB hard disk that you
    > bought was a "marketing" 40 GB, that is 40,000,000,000 bytes with
    > 1,000,000,000 bytes equalling one gigabyte. However Windows Explorer like
    > most computer uses a binary definition of a gigabyte which is 2**30 or
    > 1,073,741,824 bytes. So what "marketing" call 40GB is in fact 40 x 10**9
    > / 2**30 which is 37.25GB which is roughly what you are seeing in Windows
    > Explorer.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Yes Jerry, I don't know much about PCs but I realise THAT much! I just
    > > wondered how to view the figures individually. Thanks for the reply
    > > tho! Thanks Mike for your answer. I looked on Explorer (the pie chart
    > > is what I was looking for!) and I've used 29 GB and have 8GB free, so
    > > I guess I've lost 3GB in the last five years because I'm sure I
    > > started with 40!
    > > Thanks again

    Mike,

    Did you know there are 10 types of people in the world? Those who understand
    binary maths, and those who don't!

    Good luck,
    BarryG

    Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.

    Or do some binary maths. <g>
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    > Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
    >
    > Or do some binary maths. <g>

    You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.

    And I am going to throw this computer out the window very shortly.....except
    I will be darned if I let this beat me. Works fine, but I was getting some
    odd errors. Think I have those sorted out now.

    Second hard drive......here I come. Or maybe a new computer!!

    Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and am mad
    at myself. But it will be OK.

    Cheers.....the non-math person.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mark,

    I'm not a gamer but http://halflife2.filefront.com/info/HL2_Requirements
    shows the system requirements for Half Life 2 to include 4.5GB of hard
    disk space.

    BTW Google is an excellent tool to use when seeking the answer to
    questions such as yours.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Ah, well, it seems so obvious now! *ahem* (o: I get the gist, though,
    > that's the main thing! Thanks very much for all your help, I've
    > learnt a few things tonight (including that 80GB will probably be
    > ample! Someone told me I'd be unable to play super spanky high spec
    > games like Half Life 2 with a mere 80GB, but I have my doubts as to
    > the validity of that! Although, if you're still feeling helpful?..)!
    > Regards

    Mike,
    Yes, sorry! I would normally Google, but I was feeling lazy (and a bit
    pushed for time!) earlier! Also, I know I'm getting the correct info if I
    come here!
    Thanks for your patience!
    Mark

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Mark,
    >
    > I'm not a gamer but http://halflife2.filefront.com/info/HL2_Requirements
    > shows the system requirements for Half Life 2 to include 4.5GB of hard
    > disk space.
    >
    > BTW Google is an excellent tool to use when seeking the answer to
    > questions such as yours.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Marco772 <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Ah, well, it seems so obvious now! *ahem* (o: I get the gist, though,
    > > that's the main thing! Thanks very much for all your help, I've
    > > learnt a few things tonight (including that 80GB will probably be
    > > ample! Someone told me I'd be unable to play super spanky high spec
    > > games like Half Life 2 with a mere 80GB, but I have my doubts as to
    > > the validity of that! Although, if you're still feeling helpful?..)!
    > > Regards

    Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    > You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.
    >
    > And I am going to throw this computer out the window very
    > shortly.....except I will be darned if I let this beat me. Works
    > fine, but I was getting some odd errors. Think I have those sorted
    > out now.
    >
    > Second hard drive......here I come. Or maybe a new computer!!
    >
    > Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and
    > am mad at myself. But it will be OK.

    e-mail on its way.
    --
    Mike

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    > > Heather <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Check your D drive....it is probably 2 GB.
    > >
    > > Or do some binary maths. <g>
    >
    > You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.

    What about hex?

    Shane

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > > > Or do some binary maths. <g>
    > >
    > > You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.
    > >

    > What about hex?

    I have a headache.......

    Figgs 8-))

    > Shane

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mark, if running Half Life 2 is your goal, the cpu speed, the amount of
    physical memory, its speed, the rotational speed of the HD, the speed of the
    IDE controller (or SATA), AND the power of the video card are the important
    factors. Any two, or more, year older machine will probably run it, but
    will disappoint.

    Use Belarc Advisor and Everest to find out some of this stuff on your
    current box:

    Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    Everest Home Edition www.lavalys.hu

    The video card is important:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html

    In a new machine, you might want to consider putting the OS and Half Life 2
    on a Western Digital 30 GB, 10,000 rpm SATA drive, and use 1 GB of PC3200
    RAM.
    http://www.anandtech.com/guides/

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Marco772" <Marco772@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    <SNIP>
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > What about hex?

    That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
    practice this all the time.
    --
    Mike
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ROFL
    Joan

    Mike M wrote:

    > That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
    > practice this all the time.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> You do something stupid, never <vbg>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:

    > Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and am mad
    > at myself. But it will be OK.
    >
    > Cheers.....the non-math person.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Barry:

    My question would be, 'what is the need for this "binary math".
    this differential in reporting the 'size', which should be 'actual',
    shouldn't it?
    Just a question on this subject, mind you.

    Harry.

    "BarryG" <BarryG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > Did you know there are 10 types of people in the world? Those who
    understand
    > binary maths, and those who don't!
    >
    > Good luck,
    > BarryG
    >
    > "Mike M" wrote:
    >
    > > Mark,
    > >
    > > You haven't "lost" any hard disk space. Your hard disk today is exactly
    > > the same size as when you bought it. However the 40GB hard disk that
    you
    > > bought was a "marketing" 40 GB, that is 40,000,000,000 bytes with
    > > 1,000,000,000 bytes equalling one gigabyte. However Windows Explorer
    like
    > > most computer uses a binary definition of a gigabyte which is 2**30 or
    > > 1,073,741,824 bytes. So what "marketing" call 40GB is in fact 40 x
    10**9
    > > / 2**30 which is 37.25GB which is roughly what you are seeing in Windows
    > > Explorer.
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yup....something I often wondered how people could be so dumb to do.....now
    I know. (G) Tired, not thinking, not double-checking.....and so on.

    One of those things that makes you go "OH NO!!!!" as it happens and there
    ain't no way of stopping it.

    Cheers....Heather

    "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > <lol> You do something stupid, never <vbg>
    > Joan
    >
    > Heather wrote:
    >
    > > Just ranting coz I did something unbelievably stupid last night and am
    mad
    > > at myself. But it will be OK.
    > >
    > > Cheers.....the non-math person.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > What about hex?
    >
    > That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
    > practice this all the time.

    ROFL!! You surprised me, Sir Michael.......with your insight into female
    wiles!!

    The Witch from the West.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:

    > My question would be, 'what is the need for this "binary math".

    Simply because otherwise you would be unable to understand the reason for
    the different numbers reported. That is why a drive sold as 40GB appears
    in Windows Explorer as being around 37GB.

    > this differential in reporting the 'size', which should be 'actual',
    > shouldn't it?
    > Just a question on this subject, mind you.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Mike:

    To find clarity in this subject, I looked it up by "googling".
    The computer doesn't have ten fingers, as we do and therefore using the
    figure 10 in our decimal system, or fractional values.
    It has only "two" fingers, due to the transistor technology, which are
    off/on or 0/1.Henceforth the expression "binary", where times ten is
    translated into times two.
    Anyone wanting to know more, is welcome to "google" themselves. I like math,
    but not that much.

    Harry.

    > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
    >
    > > My question would be, 'what is the need for this "binary math".
    >
    > Simply because otherwise you would be unable to understand the reason for
    > the different numbers reported. That is why a drive sold as 40GB appears
    > in Windows Explorer as being around 37GB.
    >
    > > this differential in reporting the 'size', which should be 'actual',
    > > shouldn't it?
    > > Just a question on this subject, mind you.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> Shall we call it a senior moment <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > Yup....something I often wondered how people could be so dumb to do.....now
    > I know. (G) Tired, not thinking, not double-checking.....and so on.
    >
    > One of those things that makes you go "OH NO!!!!" as it happens and there
    > ain't no way of stopping it.
    >
    > Cheers....Heather
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    LOL......yes. You just wait till you get to my age......you ARE almost
    there, I believe....snicker.

    Figgs

    > <lol> Shall we call it a senior moment <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > Heather wrote:
    > > Yup....something I often wondered how people could be so dumb to
    do.....now I know. (G) Tired, not thinking, not double-checking.....and so
    on. One of those things that makes you go "OH NO!!!!" as it happens and
    there ain't no way of stopping it.

    > > Cheers....Heather
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ....You left out a word!!<VBEG>

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > What about hex?
    >>
    >> That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
    >> practice this all the time.
    >
    > ROFL!! You surprised me, Sir Michael.......with your insight into female
    > wiles!!
    >
    > The Witch from the West.

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Word.....or change a letter on one??? SMACK!!

    Da Witch
    > ...You left out a word!!<VBEG>
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > >> That shouldn't be a problem Shane. Figgs, like most women, no doubt
    > >> practice this all the time.
    > >
    > > ROFL!! You surprised me, Sir Michael.......with your insight into
    female
    > > wiles!!
    > >
    > > The Witch from the West.

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Why I oughta..........!"

    Shane

    > Word.....or change a letter on one??? SMACK!!
    >
    > Da Witch
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > ...You left out a word!!<VBEG>
    > >
    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > > > ROFL!! You surprised me, Sir Michael.......with your insight into
    > female
    > > > wiles!!
    > > >
    > > > The Witch from the West.

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    <lol> Yes I know, only about 3 or 4 behind <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > LOL......yes. You just wait till you get to my age......you ARE almost
    > there, I believe....snicker.
    >
    > Figgs

  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    >> > Or do some binary maths. <g>
    >>
    >> You have GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! (VBG) I hate math.....binary or not.
    >>

    > What about hex?
    >

    > Shane
    >
    >or Octal (Base 8).

Hard Drives Memory Windows