Making music CD's from my old LP's

First of all, I'm cross-posting this because I'm not sure if this is
more of a "computer" question or an "audio" question. Please forgive me
if I'm in the wrong newsgroup.

I tried to "Google" on how to make music CD's from my old albums, but I
still have a few questions. I have read that I can use a freeware
package called "Audacity" to make the CD's. I will research on my own as
to how to use the software, but before I go any further I need help
understanding the higher-level "basic concept" of what I'm about to try.
Also, I'm not looking for high-end results here, I just want to use
these "oldies" albums to make decent music CD's to listen to. Here are
some questions that I have:

1. Is this simply a process of running my turntable output into my
sound card input and using the software to transfer the output into a
file on my hard drive and then burn a CD?

2. What file format do I ultimately need to save my album output in,
for my CD to be readable on my older CD player (a 13 year old
Harman/Cardon)?

3. Do I need to buy an expensive sound card to do this? My computer
uses the Abit NFS-7 with integrated Realtek ALC650. I'm on a tight
budget so I'd like to use my existing NFS-7 audio if possible, but not
if it would result in poor results. I'm not an audiophile, just an old
guy who likes his "oldies" to listen to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- David Kistner

David Kistner wrote:
> First of all, I'm cross-posting this because I'm not sure if this is
> more of a "computer" question or an "audio" question. Please forgive me
> if I'm in the wrong newsgroup.
>
> I tried to "Google" on how to make music CD's from my old albums, but I
> still have a few questions. I have read that I can use a freeware
> package called "Audacity" to make the CD's. I will research on my own as
> to how to use the software, but before I go any further I need help
> understanding the higher-level "basic concept" of what I'm about to try.
> Also, I'm not looking for high-end results here, I just want to use
> these "oldies" albums to make decent music CD's to listen to. Here are
> some questions that I have:
>
> 1. Is this simply a process of running my turntable output into my
> sound card input and using the software to transfer the output into a
> file on my hard drive and then burn a CD?
>
> 2. What file format do I ultimately need to save my album output in,
> for my CD to be readable on my older CD player (a 13 year old
> Harman/Cardon)?
>
> 3. Do I need to buy an expensive sound card to do this? My computer
> uses the Abit NFS-7 with integrated Realtek ALC650. I'm on a tight
> budget so I'd like to use my existing NFS-7 audio if possible, but not
> if it would result in poor results. I'm not an audiophile, just an old
> guy who likes his "oldies" to listen to.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> - David Kistner

No need to reply to this. I did receive help from the audio newsgroup:
rec.audio.misc. I realize, in hindsight, this (hardware newsgroup) was
not the correct newsgroup to post to. Sorry.

- David Kistner

"David Kistner" <spamcatcher1@verizon.net> wrote in message

> No need to reply to this. I did receive help from the audio newsgroup:
> rec.audio.misc. I realize, in hindsight, this (hardware newsgroup) was
> not the correct newsgroup to post to. Sorry.

Well, it's not but it's still interesting. Im hopping over to rec.audio.misc
to see what the replies were...!

JJ (UK)