Windows Updates

ERNIE

I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update" the pc
locks and leaves me sit.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
> THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update" the
pc
> locks and leaves me sit.

ERNIE

Jack:
Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to do
a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to IE6
but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to scan
for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
explorer- not responding.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
> > THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update" the
> pc
> > locks and leaves me sit.

Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You will be
offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and proceed
through the restart.

> Jack:
> Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to
do
> a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to
IE6
> but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
> Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to
scan
> for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
> seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
> explorer- not responding.
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
> > > THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update"
the
> > pc
> > > locks and leaves me sit.

ERNIE

I went to control panel. add/remove programs but IE6 does not show there.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
> Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You will be
> offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and proceed
> through the restart.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Jack:
> > Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to
> do
> > a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to
> IE6
> > but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
> > Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to
> scan
> > for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
> > seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
> > explorer- not responding.
> >
> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > > ------
> > > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the
> > > pc

ERNIE

I found it, I wasn't looking for Microsoft, anyway I did the repair option
and then a restart. My pc still will not "scan" to pick which updates I need,
and once that webpage loads, it locks up, and a crtl alt del is necessary yet.

"Ernie" wrote:

> I went to control panel. add/remove programs but IE6 does not show there.
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
>
> > Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
> > Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You will be
> > offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and proceed
> > through the restart.
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Jack:
> > > Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to
> > do
> > > a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to
> > IE6
> > > but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
> > > Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to
> > scan
> > > for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
> > > seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
> > > explorer- not responding.

> > the

So, we are back to my earlier suggestion:

> I found it, I wasn't looking for Microsoft, anyway I did the repair option
> and then a restart. My pc still will not "scan" to pick which updates I
need,
> and once that webpage loads, it locks up, and a crtl alt del is necessary
yet.

> "Ernie" wrote:
>
> > I went to control panel. add/remove programs but IE6 does not show
there.

> > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
> >
> > > Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
> > > Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You
will be
> > > offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and
proceed
> > > through the restart.
> > > --
> > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx