Windows Updates

I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update" the pc
locks and leaves me sit.
6 answers Last reply
More about windows updates

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
    > THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update" the
    pc
    > locks and leaves me sit.

    Jack:
    Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to do
    a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to IE6
    but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
    Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to scan
    for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
    seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
    explorer- not responding.

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
    > > THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update" the
    > pc
    > > locks and leaves me sit.

    Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
    Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You will be
    offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and proceed
    through the restart.

    > Jack:
    > Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to
    do
    > a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to
    IE6
    > but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
    > Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to
    scan
    > for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
    > seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
    > explorer- not responding.
    >
    > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    >
    > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I can not get the "Windows Update" page to load or operate.
    > > > THe page will not "scan" for updates. If I click on "windows update"
    the
    > > pc
    > > > locks and leaves me sit.

    I went to control panel. add/remove programs but IE6 does not show there.

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
    > Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You will be
    > offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and proceed
    > through the restart.

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Jack:
    > > Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to
    > do
    > > a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to
    > IE6
    > > but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
    > > Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to
    > scan
    > > for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
    > > seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
    > > explorer- not responding.
    > >
    > > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    > >
    > > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > > ------
    > > > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > the
    > > > pc

    I found it, I wasn't looking for Microsoft, anyway I did the repair option
    and then a restart. My pc still will not "scan" to pick which updates I need,
    and once that webpage loads, it locks up, and a crtl alt del is necessary yet.

    "Ernie" wrote:

    > I went to control panel. add/remove programs but IE6 does not show there.
    >
    > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    >
    > > Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
    > > Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You will be
    > > offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and proceed
    > > through the restart.
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Ernie" <Ernie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Jack:
    > > > Thanks I reread my question, and I don't understand what I said. I had to
    > > do
    > > > a system recovery from my HP disk. Windows ME, I had trouble updateing to
    > > IE6
    > > > but got past thjat OK now. When I go to 'start' and try to open Windows
    > > > Update, the web page appears, but no error messages or it won't start to
    > > scan
    > > > for available updates. If I try to close this window, nothing happens it
    > > > seems locked-up. I need to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then find out "Internet
    > > > explorer- not responding.

    > > the

    So, we are back to my earlier suggestion:

    > I found it, I wasn't looking for Microsoft, anyway I did the repair option
    > and then a restart. My pc still will not "scan" to pick which updates I
    need,
    > and once that webpage loads, it locks up, and a crtl alt del is necessary
    yet.

    > "Ernie" wrote:
    >
    > > I went to control panel. add/remove programs but IE6 does not show
    there.

    > > "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Begin by attempting to repair IE6.
    > > > Navigate to Add-Remove Programs, and begin to uninstall IE 6. You
    will be
    > > > offered three options, one of which is to repair it. Select it and
    proceed
    > > > through the restart.
    > > > --
    > > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx