MMSYS264 Not Enough Memory - - - Again

O.k., there were lots of items in task manager.....it seemed like time to
format the drive and reinstall
ME. I did, went great without a hitch. Now there are only a few things in
Task Manager, sys tray, etc.
But the one program that plays back MIDI files (which are small files) still
reports out of memory.
Windows Media works great everything else runs fine. This program has run
flawlessly before.
Is it possibile there's something in ME or the program?
One thing I did do was set the Swap File to a smaller size like 6,000 MIN
and MAX machine wouldn't boot
said not enough memory or swap file to small....booted to SAFE Mode and
reset
to win management and it booted the theory was trying to figure out if the
RAM is bad.

Laptop Preserio 1212 CL
192 MEG

Thanks

Terry

Larry,

What program are you using to playback midi files? By default this is
Windows Media Player. If using a third party player what happens if
instead you use WMP to play your midi files?

Do NOT start playing with the settings for your swap file/virtual memory.
Let the operating system handle this or you will experience major and
significant problems.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Terry Cano <tcmusic@pacbell.net> wrote:

> O.k., there were lots of items in task manager.....it seemed like
> time to format the drive and reinstall
> ME. I did, went great without a hitch. Now there are only a few
> things in Task Manager, sys tray, etc.
> But the one program that plays back MIDI files (which are small
> files) still reports out of memory.
> Windows Media works great everything else runs fine. This program has
> run flawlessly before.
> Is it possibile there's something in ME or the program?
> One thing I did do was set the Swap File to a smaller size like 6,000
> MIN and MAX machine wouldn't boot
> said not enough memory or swap file to small....booted to SAFE Mode
> and reset
> to win management and it booted the theory was trying to figure out
> if the RAM is bad.

Hi Mike,
the program MIDI file program is Song Libraian. It has worked fine for two
years....I have re-installed it.
WMP plays MIDI and Audio fine....another MIDI file player, Sweet Litle MIDI
Player,
works fine. In fact all other programs work fine. It is only Song Libraian
that has a problem.
A few weeks ago I started to experience some problems with other music
applications that are heavy on RAM/CPU
Audio Editors. But with 192 M of RAM that is not unusal.
I suspect bad RAM or HI-MEM but it seems like Windows during the install
checks HiMEM
So I'm at a loss.
Terry

> Larry,
>
> What program are you using to playback midi files? By default this is
> Windows Media Player. If using a third party player what happens if
> instead you use WMP to play your midi files?
>
> Do NOT start playing with the settings for your swap file/virtual memory.
> Let the operating system handle this or you will experience major and
> significant problems.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Terry Cano <tcmusic@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > O.k., there were lots of items in task manager.....it seemed like
> > time to format the drive and reinstall
> > ME. I did, went great without a hitch. Now there are only a few
> > things in Task Manager, sys tray, etc.
> > But the one program that plays back MIDI files (which are small
> > files) still reports out of memory.
> > Windows Media works great everything else runs fine. This program has
> > run flawlessly before.
> > Is it possibile there's something in ME or the program?
> > One thing I did do was set the Swap File to a smaller size like 6,000
> > MIN and MAX machine wouldn't boot
> > said not enough memory or swap file to small....booted to SAFE Mode
> > and reset
> > to win management and it booted the theory was trying to figure out
> > if the RAM is bad.

I'd contact Song Librarian for help since from your post the problem
appears to have little or nothing to do with the operating system you are
using. I believe you have already been advised to check your memory in
another thread but 192MB should be more than adequate for the various
tasks you mention providing of course that you haven't crippled Win Me's
swap file as it appears you have from your first post in this thread.
Limiting your swap file to just 6MB is inviting problems. Have you
perhaps made other changes to system.ini that are contributing to your
problems?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Terry Cano <tcmusic@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> the program MIDI file program is Song Libraian. It has worked fine
> for two years....I have re-installed it.
> WMP plays MIDI and Audio fine....another MIDI file player, Sweet
> Litle MIDI Player,
> works fine. In fact all other programs work fine. It is only Song
> Libraian that has a problem.
> A few weeks ago I started to experience some problems with other music
> applications that are heavy on RAM/CPU
> Audio Editors. But with 192 M of RAM that is not unusal.
> I suspect bad RAM or HI-MEM but it seems like Windows during the
> install checks HiMEM
> So I'm at a loss.

No, I moved the swap file back to Windows management.
I experimented with changing the swap file to
manual management so that I can determine if there really is a problem with
the RAM.
That idea didn't work.
I have contacted Song Librarian, haven't heard back from them yet.
I have a feeling it's either something is so Librarian program that is
corrupted or bad RAM
Thanks
Terry

TRENDING THREADS