Which if any Hard drives can withstand harsh temp swings

I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive that could
handle this? Would it be better to get a lower rpm drive or is the internal
heat produced close to the same ? I know I would have to warm up the vehicle
I'm just wondering if there is a drive more suited to this sort of
application.The second drive is a 100-120 gb drive for use with my modded
ps2.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:

>I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
>temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive
>that could handle this? ...

Asking here is fine IMO, others might know, but I think better
answers for hard disk drive specific technical questions are likely
found in the big/active storage group
(comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage). Good luck.

In article <Xns95CBB6E031785wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>,
John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:
>"The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:
>
>>I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
>>temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive
>>that could handle this? ...
>
>Asking here is fine IMO, others might know, but I think better
>answers for hard disk drive specific technical questions are likely
>found in the big/active storage group
>(comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage). Good luck.

Pick a specific model # and find the spec sheet on the manufacturer's web site
for the full specs. Look for operating and non-operaating temps.

(how you get from non-op to the op range in a frozen car is an exercise
for the student.)

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

I was hoping for a less random more educated less time consuming approach
to making a choice.But thanks anyway.

> In article <Xns95CBB6E031785wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>,
> John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:
> >"The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:
> >
> >>I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
> >>temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive
> >>that could handle this? ...
> >
> >Asking here is fine IMO, others might know, but I think better
> >answers for hard disk drive specific technical questions are likely
> >found in the big/active storage group
> >(comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage). Good luck.
> >

> Pick a specific model # and find the spec sheet on the manufacturer's web
site
> for the full specs. Look for operating and non-operaating temps.
>
> (how you get from non-op to the op range in a frozen car is an exercise
> for the student.)
>

> --
>
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

"The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:

>I was hoping for a less random more educated less time consuming
>approach to making a choice.But thanks anyway.

Have you tried the storage group like I told you to do?

>From: "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net>
>Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
>Subject: Re: Which if any Hard drives can withstand harsh temp swings
>Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:26:33 -0600

I posted there tonight.

"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
> "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:
>
> >I was hoping for a less random more educated less time consuming
> >approach to making a choice.But thanks anyway.
>
> Have you tried the storage group like I told you to do?

> >From: "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net>
> >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
> >Subject: Re: Which if any Hard drives can withstand harsh temp swings
> >Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:26:33 -0600

"The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> :
>I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
>temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive that could
>handle this? Would it be better to get a lower rpm drive or is the internal
>heat produced close to the same ? I know I would have to warm up the vehicle
>I'm just wondering if there is a drive more suited to this sort of
>application.The second drive is a 100-120 gb drive for use with my modded
>ps2.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A Solid state drive would be ideal for this application. The only down
side is cost. Here's a link for you if you havethe cash
http://www.bitmicro.com/