Which if any Hard drives can withstand harsh temp swings

I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive that could
handle this? Would it be better to get a lower rpm drive or is the internal
heat produced close to the same ? I know I would have to warm up the vehicle
I'm just wondering if there is a drive more suited to this sort of
application.The second drive is a 100-120 gb drive for use with my modded
ps2.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about which hard drives withstand harsh temp swings

    "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:

    >I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
    >temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive
    >that could handle this? ...

    Asking here is fine IMO, others might know, but I think better
    answers for hard disk drive specific technical questions are likely
    found in the big/active storage group
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage). Good luck.

    In article <Xns95CBB6E031785wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>,
    John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:
    >"The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
    >>temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive
    >>that could handle this? ...
    >
    >Asking here is fine IMO, others might know, but I think better
    >answers for hard disk drive specific technical questions are likely
    >found in the big/active storage group
    >(comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage). Good luck.

    Pick a specific model # and find the spec sheet on the manufacturer's web site
    for the full specs. Look for operating and non-operaating temps.

    (how you get from non-op to the op range in a frozen car is an exercise
    for the student.)

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    I was hoping for a less random more educated less time consuming approach
    to making a choice.But thanks anyway.

    > In article <Xns95CBB6E031785wisdomfolly@151.164.30.44>,
    > John Doe <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote:
    > >"The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
    > >>temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive
    > >>that could handle this? ...
    > >
    > >Asking here is fine IMO, others might know, but I think better
    > >answers for hard disk drive specific technical questions are likely
    > >found in the big/active storage group
    > >(comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage). Good luck.
    > >

    > Pick a specific model # and find the spec sheet on the manufacturer's web
    site
    > for the full specs. Look for operating and non-operaating temps.
    >
    > (how you get from non-op to the op range in a frozen car is an exercise
    > for the student.)
    >

    > --
    >
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:

    >I was hoping for a less random more educated less time consuming
    >approach to making a choice.But thanks anyway.

    Have you tried the storage group like I told you to do?

    >From: "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net>
    >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    >Subject: Re: Which if any Hard drives can withstand harsh temp swings
    >Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:26:33 -0600

    I posted there tonight.

    "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing> wrote in message
    > "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I was hoping for a less random more educated less time consuming
    > >approach to making a choice.But thanks anyway.
    >
    > Have you tried the storage group like I told you to do?

    > >From: "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net>
    > >Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
    > >Subject: Re: Which if any Hard drives can withstand harsh temp swings
    > >Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:26:33 -0600

    "The Burwoods" <cburwood@mts.net> :
    >I need two hard drives one for my Neo 35 car player that will be in
    >temperture ranges of -40 to +30 degrees celcius is there a drive that could
    >handle this? Would it be better to get a lower rpm drive or is the internal
    >heat produced close to the same ? I know I would have to warm up the vehicle
    >I'm just wondering if there is a drive more suited to this sort of
    >application.The second drive is a 100-120 gb drive for use with my modded
    >ps2.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    A Solid state drive would be ideal for this application. The only down
    side is cost. Here's a link for you if you havethe cash
    http://www.bitmicro.com/

Homebuilt Hard Drives Systems