BSOD and K891711 update

Mike

Splendid

FYI:

Sony Vaio laptop w/WinMe and the bogus update. Unit would
just complete boot up and go to BSOD with following error
code: 06:0000:00000806. Pressing any key would clear it
momentarily but not long enough to get into the Control
Panel to delete the update. In my case, executing IE 6.0
while computer is booting (keep clicking on IE icon 'til
it takes) would stave off the BSOD and allow me to get
into the Control Panel (after minimizing IE) and remove
the update. After a reboot (with no BSOD) the file K89711
was deleted in its entirety (I could not do this until the
reboot as the file was "in use").

Life is good and I will apply this "fix" to my other two
desktops which have been stricken with a case of
the "funks"

Researched fix on this board... a hearty "Thank you!" to
all who've contibuted to the collective :)

In case others read your post, I'll note that an easier way of getting
891711 off there is simply to boot into Safe mode and then Add/Remove
Programs. The nature of the beast is to create problems on a normal boot,
but will usually boot okay into Safe mode.

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> FYI:
>
> Sony Vaio laptop w/WinMe and the bogus update. Unit would
> just complete boot up and go to BSOD with following error
> code: 06:0000:00000806. Pressing any key would clear it
> momentarily but not long enough to get into the Control
> Panel to delete the update. In my case, executing IE 6.0
> while computer is booting (keep clicking on IE icon 'til
> it takes) would stave off the BSOD and allow me to get
> into the Control Panel (after minimizing IE) and remove
> the update. After a reboot (with no BSOD) the file K89711
> was deleted in its entirety (I could not do this until the
> reboot as the file was "in use").
>
> Life is good and I will apply this "fix" to my other two
> desktops which have been stricken with a case of
> the "funks"
>
> Researched fix on this board... a hearty "Thank you!" to
> all who've contibuted to the collective :)

Mike

Splendid

Unfortunately, Sony is totally mum on the subject of
entering any "diagnostic" modes (BIOS setup, boot sequence
and Safe Mode).... getting the Vaio to boot into the safe
mode is something apparently Sony wants to keep a
secret... or at least make it information you have to dig
for. There is nothing written in the owners manual
regarding the proper function or any other keys to push
while the computer boots. I accidently discovered the F2
key will enter the BIOS setup mode but have yet to crack
the code on the key to use for Safe Mode.

I have two Dell Dimension 4300's and instuctions on entry
into the Safe Mode during boot up is not given in any
documentation.

> but have yet to crack
> the code on the key to use for Safe Mode

Which has nothing to do with the hardware in use, be it Sony or Dell, but
rather with the operating system you are using and details of which are
included in Help & Support, amongst other places, for Win Me.

To boot to Win Me's Safe Mode repeatedly slowly press F8 once you see the
initial system bios POST screen and before the Win Me splash screen is
displayed. If that doesn't work try depressing Ctrl instead. If you are
still unable to reach safe mode the following may be of help.

Boot to Normal mode and open MSConfig (Start, Run enter MSConfig and click
OK), open the General tab and then click Advanced and you will find there
the option "Enable Startup Menu". Check this, OK out. close MSConfig and
reboot. You should now be presented the boot menu from which you can now
choose to boot to Safe Mode.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mike M wrote:
>> but have yet to crack
>> the code on the key to use for Safe Mode
>

> Which has nothing to do with the hardware in use, be it Sony or Dell,
> but rather with the operating system you are using and details of which
> are included in Help & Support, amongst other places, for Win Me.
>
> To boot to Win Me's Safe Mode repeatedly slowly press F8 once you see
> the initial system bios POST screen and before the Win Me splash screen
> is displayed. If that doesn't work try depressing Ctrl instead. If you
> are still unable to reach safe mode the following may be of help.
>
> Boot to Normal mode and open MSConfig (Start, Run enter MSConfig and click
> OK), open the General tab and then click Advanced and you will find there
> the option "Enable Startup Menu". Check this, OK out. close MSConfig and
> reboot. You should now be presented the boot menu from which you can now
> choose to boot to Safe Mode.

Hi Mike:

I was running fine with KB891711 update for about two weeks when
suddenly the "bug" bit. Upon boot my system would get to the desktop
make the opening sound file then freeze before the Icons came up. C+A+D
showed only KB891711 running. Restarts resulted in the same. Safe mode
also failed the same way. I could not get into ME in any fashion. I took
a leap of faith and deleted the KB891711 folder from DOS mode. The leap
took me down to the pits. Any attempt to complete the boot wound up the
same except C+A+D now showed nothing was running. I got things back by
booting with a start up disk with CD-ROM support and doing a reinstall
of ME. I don't know why my experience was different then others on this
subject but, I thought it might be worthwhile to add to the discussion.

sced13ri

BTW and OT, I obviously still have not made my jump to XP-Home since I
am having some minor problems locating all the updated drivers that I
should have on hand. Haven't managed to do the Slipstream as yet either.
I will post a new thread when I get going again.

Yours is the first report I've seen of this particular problem.
I am most surprised that your attempt to boot to Safe Mode failed, since
KB891711.exe is not loaded in Safe Mode. Had you been able to get there, I
would have recommended using msconfig/Startup to disable the launch of
KB891711 at boot, a process which has restored many other affected machines.

What have you added to the machine in the two weeks since the Win Update,
which might have caused the new problem?

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> Yours is the first report I've seen of this particular problem.
> I am most surprised that your attempt to boot to Safe Mode failed, since
> KB891711.exe is not loaded in Safe Mode. Had you been able to get there, I
> would have recommended using msconfig/Startup to disable the launch of
> KB891711 at boot, a process which has restored many other affected machines.
>
> What have you added to the machine in the two weeks since the Win Update,
> which might have caused the new problem?
Jack:

The only new hardware were two USB Memory Card Readers and Panasonic
Digital Camera software program for transferring images. However, the
system still worked fine for several days after. As far as safe mode,
the system refused to boot to safe mode and kept going to the blank
desktop with C+A+D still showing only KB891711 as running. My inability
to get into safe mode caused me to take the DOS Deltree option. I did
try all the ways I could to get to safe mode since I had read about that
option to get rid of the update. Can't think of anything else, I guess
my system had its own version of this particular bug. :-(

sced13ri

Whoops! I forgot, I did run the Windows Media Player V9 install as well.
And, I did run the V9 patch for system restore first. Media player V9
is still working okay even after the ME reinstall. It also seemed okay
before my crash.

Congrats on resolving your problem.

Nothing in your report helps me to understand the cause of the 891711
problem.
It is certainly interesting.

> Jack E Martinelli wrote:
> > Yours is the first report I've seen of this particular problem.
> > I am most surprised that your attempt to boot to Safe Mode failed, since
> > KB891711.exe is not loaded in Safe Mode. Had you been able to get
there, I
> > would have recommended using msconfig/Startup to disable the launch of
> > KB891711 at boot, a process which has restored many other affected
machines.

> > What have you added to the machine in the two weeks since the Win
Update,
> > which might have caused the new problem?
> Jack:
>
> The only new hardware were two USB Memory Card Readers and Panasonic
> Digital Camera software program for transferring images. However, the
> system still worked fine for several days after. As far as safe mode,
> the system refused to boot to safe mode and kept going to the blank
> desktop with C+A+D still showing only KB891711 as running. My inability
> to get into safe mode caused me to take the DOS Deltree option. I did
> try all the ways I could to get to safe mode since I had read about that
> option to get rid of the update. Can't think of anything else, I guess
> my system had its own version of this particular bug. :-(
>
> sced13ri
>
> Whoops! I forgot, I did run the Windows Media Player V9 install as well.
> And, I did run the V9 patch for system restore first. Media player V9
> is still working okay even after the ME reinstall. It also seemed okay
> before my crash.

I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far.

(According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
out onto the internet.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"looneytunes>verizone.net verizone.net >" <"looneytunes> wrote in message
> Jack E Martinelli wrote:

<SNIP>.