home network

I am running a network with a microsoft MN500 base station. I am trying to
add a laptop with XP professional.. But I keep getting this message on the
laptop " Micrsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatability issue with
this version of windows. For an update that is compatable with this version
of windows contact Microsoft broadband networking." Does anyone know where
this update is?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about home network

    That's an obsolete router and I doubt you can use it with your network card.
    Microsoft is out of the wireless business and doesn't update the firmware any
    longer. You can try the MS Wireless site for the last driver update, but you
    should buy a new G router instead. I have the last router from MS--the
    MN700--and that works but does not support the latest security WPA2.

    "gearjam" wrote:

    > I am running a network with a microsoft MN500 base station. I am trying to
    > add a laptop with XP professional.. But I keep getting this message on the
    > laptop " Micrsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatability issue with
    > this version of windows. For an update that is compatable with this version
    > of windows contact Microsoft broadband networking." Does anyone know where
    > this update is?
    >
    > Thanks

    I found the update, but I doubt it will work:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814445

    "Mary" wrote:

    > That's an obsolete router and I doubt you can use it with your network card.
    > Microsoft is out of the wireless business and doesn't update the firmware any
    > longer. You can try the MS Wireless site for the last driver update, but you
    > should buy a new G router instead. I have the last router from MS--the
    > MN700--and that works but does not support the latest security WPA2.
    >
    > "gearjam" wrote:
    >
    > > I am running a network with a microsoft MN500 base station. I am trying to
    > > add a laptop with XP professional.. But I keep getting this message on the
    > > laptop " Micrsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatability issue with
    > > this version of windows. For an update that is compatable with this version
    > > of windows contact Microsoft broadband networking." Does anyone know where
    > > this update is?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Hi
    The MN500 is an old Router but there is No reason that it would not work
    with 802.11b capable Cards.
    I can not judge from your description what the actual issue is? I think it
    has to do with the Laptop and the wireless card that you are trying to use
    and with the Wireless Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "gearjam" <gearjam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running a network with a microsoft MN500 base station. I am trying to
    > add a laptop with XP professional.. But I keep getting this message on the
    > laptop " Micrsoft Broadband Networking has a known compatability issue
    with
    > this version of windows. For an update that is compatable with this
    version
    > of windows contact Microsoft broadband networking." Does anyone know where
    > this update is?
    >
    > Thanks

Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking