Windows ME partial rebuild

Is there a way where I can reload individual components from the Windows ME
original CD, rather than reloading all of Windows ME again.

I just need to rebuild Internet Explorer which has just gone haywire. I keep
getting a message that the version installed is higher than the one I'm
trying to install and I need to get back to basics.

Any pointers would be great.

You are in the right place. Your nearby expert, MVP Noel Paton, has the
exact instructions:

UNINSTALLING AND REINSTALLING Internet Explorer in ME
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm

First, attempt the repair using the IE Repair tool in Add-Remove Programs.
Begin to uninstall IE6 and three options will be offered. Choose to repair
and let it proceed through the restart.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Robin Lee" <robin.lee@nandb.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is there a way where I can reload individual components from the Windows
ME
> original CD, rather than reloading all of Windows ME again.
>
> I just need to rebuild Internet Explorer which has just gone haywire. I
keep
> getting a message that the version installed is higher than the one I'm
> trying to install and I need to get back to basics.
>
> Any pointers would be great.

Unfortunately, the repair of IE got a little more complicated while you were
out of the office (OOTO?), Jack.....

Here's what I reckon it the latest method (but is subject to change<g>)

Reboot to Safe Mode
Go to Add/Remove Programs and try a repair of Internet Explorer from there.
Go to the entry for 'Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools'
in Add/Remove Programs
Click on Remove - and click on Repair on the window that pops up
Reboot on request to Normal Mode

If the above entry isn't there, you first need to uninstall all the patches
applied, then do the repair, then reapply the patches
The patches are listed in Add/Remove under the names 'Internet Explorer
Qxxxxxx'
highlight, click Remove - reboot if requested.
Repeat until the MSIE6SP1 entry appears - then repair as above.

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> You are in the right place. Your nearby expert, MVP Noel Paton, has the
> exact instructions:
>
> UNINSTALLING AND REINSTALLING Internet Explorer in ME
> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/ReInIE.htm
>
> First, attempt the repair using the IE Repair tool in Add-Remove Programs.
> Begin to uninstall IE6 and three options will be offered. Choose to
> repair
> and let it proceed through the restart.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Robin Lee" <robin.lee@nandb.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Is there a way where I can reload individual components from the Windows
> ME
>> original CD, rather than reloading all of Windows ME again.
>>
>> I just need to rebuild Internet Explorer which has just gone haywire. I
> keep
>> getting a message that the version installed is higher than the one I'm
>> trying to install and I need to get back to basics.
>>
>> Any pointers would be great.

Thank you very much, Noel.