Best Way to Wipe Hard Drive?

I am going to be switching motherboards, creating a RAID 0 and reinstalling
Windows XP Pro. Before I switch out the motherboards, I need to wipe
everything off my current hard drive. I am assuming that I would restart the
computer with a Startup disk to do so. What is the best way to totally delete
everything on the drive? Thanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about best wipe hard drive

    for your intentions---- format it.........

    "PawsForThought" <darnit7@aol.comnolitter> wrote in message
    > I am going to be switching motherboards, creating a RAID 0 and
    reinstalling
    > Windows XP Pro. Before I switch out the motherboards, I need to
    wipe
    > everything off my current hard drive. I am assuming that I would
    restart the
    > computer with a Startup disk to do so. What is the best way to
    totally delete
    > everything on the drive? Thanks.

    "PawsForThought" <darnit7@aol.comnolitter> wrote in message
    >I am going to be switching motherboards, creating a RAID 0 and reinstalling
    > Windows XP Pro. Before I switch out the motherboards, I need to wipe
    > everything off my current hard drive. I am assuming that I would restart
    > the
    > computer with a Startup disk to do so. What is the best way to totally
    > delete
    > everything on the drive? Thanks.

    Go to the manufacturers support to download their diagnostic tool.

    >From: "Frank" bbunny@bqik.net

    >Go to the manufacturers support to download their diagnostic tool.

    Thanks so much, Frank. I have a Western Digital and I'm downloading their tool
    now.

    >From: "JAD" kapasitor@charter.net

    >for your intentions---- format it.......

    Thanks, Jad. I ended up using the utility for my hard drive that wipes it with
    0's. Installing everything now (I'm on my old 200 MHz HP)

    Format the harddrive. That will clear the harddrive of files.

    --
    DaveW

    "PawsForThought" <darnit7@aol.comnolitter> wrote in message
    >I am going to be switching motherboards, creating a RAID 0 and reinstalling
    > Windows XP Pro. Before I switch out the motherboards, I need to wipe
    > everything off my current hard drive. I am assuming that I would restart
    > the
    > computer with a Startup disk to do so. What is the best way to totally
    > delete
    > everything on the drive? Thanks.

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:13:29 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    edge when "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote :

    >Format the harddrive. That will clear the harddrive of files.

    Sigh :/

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    remove obvious to reply

    >: "DaveW" none@zero.org

    >Format the harddrive. That will clear the harddrive of files.

    Thanks, Dave. Because I'm building a RAID, I wanted to start with 2 drives
    that were completely clean, so that's why I used the utility that overwrites
    the drive with 0's. So I'm not sure if just a simple formatting would have
    worked.

    In article <20041228091418.09660.00001881@mb-m20.aol.com>, darnit7
    @aol.comnolitter says...
    > Thanks, Dave. Because I'm building a RAID, I wanted to start with 2 drives
    > that were completely clean, so that's why I used the utility that overwrites
    > the drive with 0's. So I'm not sure if just a simple formatting would have
    > worked.

    Do you have a *serious* security issue? If so, just formatting or even
    writing the disk with zeros is not sufficient. Top security experts say
    the disk must be rewritten many times with different procedures to be
    really safe. Believe it or not, a disk written over once or twice can
    have its data recovered by using some very sophisticated techniques.

    But if you are just an average user like most of us, a simple format is
    enough.

    --
    Bill, W6WRT

    > >: "DaveW" none@zero.org
    >
    >>Format the harddrive. That will clear the harddrive of files.
    >
    > Thanks, Dave. Because I'm building a RAID, I wanted to start with 2
    > drives
    > that were completely clean, so that's why I used the utility that
    > overwrites
    > the drive with 0's. So I'm not sure if just a simple formatting would
    > have
    > worked.

    You are on the right track. If you want a clean disk, return it to a raw
    state.

    >Bill Turner noway@nohow.com

    >Do you have a *serious* security issue? If so, just formatting or even
    >writing the disk with zeros is not sufficient. Top security experts say
    >the disk must be rewritten many times with different procedures to be
    >really safe. Believe it or not, a disk written over once or twice can
    >have its data recovered by using some very sophisticated techniques.

    Oh no, no security issues at all. This is my home computer.

    >But if you are just an average user like most of us, a simple format is
    >enough.

    The reason I used the utility that writes 0's is because according to my
    motherboard manual, when building the kind of RAID I want to, they advise using
    2 new drives. Since one of the drives had my operating system on it, I wanted
    to make sure it was clean, and I wasn't sure if just a simple format is what
    they meant when they said "new." Interesting about the security and how they
    can recover data!

    PawsForThought wrote:
    >>Bill Turner noway@nohow.com
    >

    >>Do you have a *serious* security issue? If so, just formatting or even
    >>writing the disk with zeros is not sufficient. Top security experts say
    >>the disk must be rewritten many times with different procedures to be
    >>really safe. Believe it or not, a disk written over once or twice can
    >>have its data recovered by using some very sophisticated techniques.
    >

    > Oh no, no security issues at all. This is my home computer.
    >

    >>But if you are just an average user like most of us, a simple format is
    >>enough.
    >

    > The reason I used the utility that writes 0's is because according to my
    > motherboard manual, when building the kind of RAID I want to, they advise using
    > 2 new drives. Since one of the drives had my operating system on it, I wanted
    > to make sure it was clean, and I wasn't sure if just a simple format is what
    > they meant when they said "new." Interesting about the security and how they
    > can recover data!

    I see. Well, no, they're not talking about 1s and 0s. They're using 'new'
    as a proxy term for 'reliable'.

    BOTH drives must work for a RAID 0 array to function and if one fails then
    all data is lost. What they're saying is it's a bad idea to use an old
    drive because if it fails everything is lost. Ergo, best to use two new drives.

    On 27 Dec 2004 15:20:19 GMT, darnit7@aol.comnolitter (PawsForThought)
    wrote:

    >I am going to be switching motherboards, creating a RAID 0 and reinstalling
    >Windows XP Pro. Before I switch out the motherboards, I need to wipe
    >everything off my current hard drive. I am assuming that I would restart the
    >computer with a Startup disk to do so. What is the best way to totally delete
    >everything on the drive? Thanks.

    There are various utilities that will do this. Norton Utilities will
    wipe a disk with 1's and 0's several times using government standards.
    It will wipe the unused areas as well. But, it is still possible to
    retrieve data using (expensive) equipment. To completely destroy
    data, the hard drive must be destroyed with a heavy sledge and a
    "hammering action." If you don't care about retrieval of sensitive
    data, just boot from a floppy or CD and use the disk partitioning
    utility then format.

    >From: David Maynard dNOTmayn@ev1.net

    >BOTH drives must work for a RAID 0 array to function and if one fails then
    >all data is lost. What they're saying is it's a bad idea to use an old
    >drive because if it fails everything is lost. Ergo, best to use two new
    >drives.

    Ahhh, got it. Oh well, it's clean now and I've got the RAID set up in the
    BIOS. Going to install the OS now and keeping my fingers crossed that it
    works. Thanks :)

    "Shep©" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:13:29 GMT The moonlight laughed on the blade's
    > edge when "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote :
    >
    >>Format the harddrive. That will clear the harddrive of files.
    >
    > Sigh :/

    Yep. <big heaving sigh>

    > --
    > Free Windows/PC help,
    > remove obvious to reply
    > email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
    > Free original songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
    > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    With a moist towelette?

Homebuilt Hard Drives Motherboards Systems