USB Controllers missinf from device manager

I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng worked
fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem & the
USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or any
other device.
Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial Bus
controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the PC
rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

> Under ... Device Manager Universal Serial Bus
> controllers have disappeared,

Sounds serious!

"General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and
Windows Me"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263218

Good luck

Mart

"mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng worked
> fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem & the
> USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or any
> other device.
> Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial Bus
> controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the PC
> rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

In the meantime, you could try running System Restore and roll-back to the
last time it worked - but I suspect that the problem's worse than that.

Mart

"mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng worked
> fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem & the
> USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or any
> other device.
> Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial Bus
> controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the PC
> rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

We need to know if the USB hardware is on the mainboard, or on a PCI add-in
card.
Confirm that the parts are not disabled in the current hardware profile in
Device Manager.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In the meantime, you could try running System Restore and roll-back to the
> last time it worked - but I suspect that the problem's worse than that.
>
> Mart
>

> "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng worked
> > fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem &
the
> > USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or
any
> > other device.
> > Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial
Bus
> > controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the
PC
> > rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

> Confirm that the parts are not disabled in the current
> hardware profile in Device Manager.

Yes, Jack - I agree, although the word 'disappeared' was used by the OP <g>

- But how/why would they become disabled? And an SR would (should) fix that
anyway. Weird.

Mart

> We need to know if the USB hardware is on the mainboard, or on a PCI
> add-in
> card.
> Confirm that the parts are not disabled in the current hardware profile in
> Device Manager.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> In the meantime, you could try running System Restore and roll-back to
>> the
>> last time it worked - but I suspect that the problem's worse than that.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng
>> >worked
>> > fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem &
> the
>> > USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or
> any
>> > other device.
>> > Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial
> Bus
>> > controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the
> PC
>> > rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

Mr S, in the meantime you might find this useful :-

If you have a copy of the Win98 CD, then see the following URL and try the
usbview.exe on the CD (NB It's not on the WinME CD) and see if you are able
to determine whether it recognises the controllers correctly.
"How to Use the Windows 98 USB Device Viewer Utility"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272584

You can download usbview.exe from:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/DIAGNOSE/USBVIEW.EXE

HTH

Mart

"mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng worked
> fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem & the
> USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or any
> other device.
> Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial Bus
> controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the PC
> rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

Considering my other post on here was about not being able to do a system
restore, I think I have a real problem!

"Mart" wrote:

> Mr S, in the meantime you might find this useful :-
>
> If you have a copy of the Win98 CD, then see the following URL and try the
> usbview.exe on the CD (NB It's not on the WinME CD) and see if you are able
> to determine whether it recognises the controllers correctly.
> "How to Use the Windows 98 USB Device Viewer Utility"
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272584
>
> You can download usbview.exe from:
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/DIAGNOSE/USBVIEW.EXE
>
> HTH
>
> Mart
>
> "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng worked
> > fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem & the
> > USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or any
> > other device.
> > Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial Bus
> > controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the PC
> > rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

These things happen because Lord Valdamort has not died yet.
Anything bad can still happen.

I agree that it is most probable here that the USB controller or hub
has/have physically died, but let's rule out the simpler possibilities.

> > Confirm that the parts are not disabled in the current hardware profile
in Device Manager.

> Yes, Jack - I agree, although the word 'disappeared' was used by the OP
<g>

> - But how/why would they become disabled? And an SR would (should) fix
that anyway. Weird.

> Mart
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > We need to know if the USB hardware is on the mainboard, or on a PCI
> > add-in card.
> > Confirm that the parts are not disabled in the current hardware profile
in
> > Device Manager.
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> In the meantime, you could try running System Restore and roll-back to
> >> the last time it worked - but I suspect that the problem's worse than
that.

> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem
or
> > any other device.
> > Bus controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is
the PC

> .. I think I have a real problem!

I suspect so. But hopefully repairable <g>

As Jack remarked elsewhere :- "We need to know if the USB hardware is on the
mainboard, or on a PCI add-in card."

I'll see if I can find your SR post - but that too is 'usually' repairable.

> Considering my other post on here was about not being able to do a system
> restore, I think I have a real problem!
>
> "Mart" wrote:
>
>> Mr S, in the meantime you might find this useful :-
>>
>> If you have a copy of the Win98 CD, then see the following URL and try
>> the
>> usbview.exe on the CD (NB It's not on the WinME CD) and see if you are
>> able
>> to determine whether it recognises the controllers correctly.
>> "How to Use the Windows 98 USB Device Viewer Utility"
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;272584
>>
>> You can download usbview.exe from:
>> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/DIAGNOSE/USBVIEW.EXE
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Mart
>>
>> "mrsniffy57" <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I installed a new modem & jetstream on my pc last week & everythng
>> >worked
>> > fine for a couple of days, but now am unable to connect to the modem &
>> > the
>> > USB light no longer comes on. Neither USB port works with the modem or
>> > any
>> > other device.
>> > Under Start / Contol Panel / System / Device Manager Universal Serial
>> > Bus
>> > controllers have disappeared, so I guess that means the problem is the
>> > PC
>> > rather than the modem. How do I restore the USB controllers?

> I'll see if I can find your SR post - but that too is 'usually'
> repairable.

Unfortunately the poster never followed up that thread.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

>> .. I think I have a real problem!
>
> I suspect so. But hopefully repairable <g>
>
> As Jack remarked elsewhere :- "We need to know if the USB hardware is
> on the mainboard, or on a PCI add-in card."
>
> I'll see if I can find your SR post - but that too is 'usually'
> repairable.

So, if mrsniffy57 will give us the info re: the USB system, we can try to
fix it, or abandon it, before moving on to the System Restore problem.
Patience and persistence, if you please.

> > I'll see if I can find your SR post - but that too is 'usually'
repairable.

> Unfortunately the poster never followed up that thread.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >> .. I think I have a real problem!
> >
> > I suspect so. But hopefully repairable <g>
> >
> > As Jack remarked elsewhere :- "We need to know if the USB hardware is
> > on the mainboard, or on a PCI add-in card."
> >
> > I'll see if I can find your SR post - but that too is 'usually'
> > repairable.

Patience? So an SR problem first posted on 15 March has to wait for the
poster to finish up his problem with USB that was first posted on 22
March? I'm sorry but IMO the longer the poster waits to fix his SR
problem the less likely it is to be able to help him with his USB problem.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> So, if mrsniffy57 will give us the info re: the USB system, we can
> try to fix it, or abandon it, before moving on to the System Restore
> problem. Patience and persistence, if you please.

I stand corrected.

> Patience? So an SR problem first posted on 15 March has to wait for the
> poster to finish up his problem with USB that was first posted on 22
> March? I'm sorry but IMO the longer the poster waits to fix his SR
> problem the less likely it is to be able to help him with his USB problem.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
>
> > So, if mrsniffy57 will give us the info re: the USB system, we can
> > try to fix it, or abandon it, before moving on to the System Restore
> > problem. Patience and persistence, if you please.

Checked my BIOS settings & USB was disabled.
Modem now works!
Thanks you all for you help.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> I stand corrected.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > Patience? So an SR problem first posted on 15 March has to wait for the
> > poster to finish up his problem with USB that was first posted on 22
> > March? I'm sorry but IMO the longer the poster waits to fix his SR
> > problem the less likely it is to be able to help him with his USB problem.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > Jack E Martinelli <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:
> >
> > > So, if mrsniffy57 will give us the info re: the USB system, we can
> > > try to fix it, or abandon it, before moving on to the System Restore
> > > problem. Patience and persistence, if you please.

mrsniffy57 <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Checked my BIOS settings & USB was disabled.
> Modem now works!
> Thanks you all for you help.

That's a good start. Well done.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

> That's a good start. Well done.

Mmm... but that doesn't explain how the BIOS setting became disabled.

A slightly more detailed report than "everythng worked fine for a couple of
days, but now am unable to connect to the modem", might have been helpful.
"Following a bit of furtling in the BIOS" perhaps? <g>

However, Mr.S should now urgently concentrate on his SR issue.

Mart

> mrsniffy57 <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Checked my BIOS settings & USB was disabled.
>> Modem now works!
>> Thanks you all for you help.
>
> That's a good start. Well done.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com

I am very happy for the OP and completely concur with Mart re: the remaining
SR problem.
I also feel like an idiot for not earlier remembering the BIOS switch for
the USB service.

> > That's a good start. Well done.
>
> Mmm... but that doesn't explain how the BIOS setting became disabled.
>
> A slightly more detailed report than "everythng worked fine for a couple
of
> days, but now am unable to connect to the modem", might have been helpful.
> "Following a bit of furtling in the BIOS" perhaps? <g>
>
> However, Mr.S should now urgently concentrate on his SR issue.
>
> Mart
>

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
> > mrsniffy57 <mrsniffy57@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Checked my BIOS settings & USB was disabled.
> >> Modem now works!
> >> Thanks you all for you help.
> >
> > That's a good start. Well done.
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com

> I also feel like an idiot for not earlier remembering the BIOS switch for
> the USB service.

I think not, Jack. BIOS (re-)settings are *usually* a conscious and
deliberate act by the user, whereas installing/uninstalling software
(drivers), then settings are often taken out of the (direct) control of the
user. From Mr.S's post, there was no reason to suspect the BIOS setting to
have been changed - work in the BIOS was never implied or even hinted at by
the OP. And to be fair, I think the troubleshooting route - with information
given - that we suggested, was correct.

I'm quite sure that had the word BIOS or CMOS been previously mentioned, you
would have had no hesitation in "remembering the BIOS switch."

20-20 hindsight Jack <g>

Mart

>I am very happy for the OP and completely concur with Mart re: the
>remaining
> SR problem.
> I also feel like an idiot for not earlier remembering the BIOS switch for
> the USB service.

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > That's a good start. Well done.
>>
>> Mmm... but that doesn't explain how the BIOS setting became disabled.
>>
>> A slightly more detailed report than "everythng worked fine for a couple
> of
>> days, but now am unable to connect to the modem", might have been
>> helpful.
>> "Following a bit of furtling in the BIOS" perhaps? <g>
>>
>> However, Mr.S should now urgently concentrate on his SR issue.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

>> > That's a good start. Well done.
>> > --
>> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>> > mike.maltby@gmail.com

You are very kind, Sir, ... and I still feel like an idiot, a not uncommon
experience while I am working with computers, however.
When will they be at least as simple as a common cat? <vbg>

> > I also feel like an idiot for not earlier remembering the BIOS switch
for
> > the USB service.
>
> I think not, Jack. BIOS (re-)settings are *usually* a conscious and
> deliberate act by the user, whereas installing/uninstalling software
> (drivers), then settings are often taken out of the (direct) control of
the
> user. From Mr.S's post, there was no reason to suspect the BIOS setting to
> have been changed - work in the BIOS was never implied or even hinted at
by
> the OP. And to be fair, I think the troubleshooting route - with
information
> given - that we suggested, was correct.
>
> I'm quite sure that had the word BIOS or CMOS been previously mentioned,
you
> would have had no hesitation in "remembering the BIOS switch."
>
> 20-20 hindsight Jack <g>
>
> Mart

<SNIP>