Must Force-Start ME in Safe Mode

I had to remove Norton/Symantec software due to an error. I followed the
Norton/Symantec step-by-step instructions to do so. Now I cannot start in
Normal mode. I receive a DOS message which reads something like, "Now
preparing to start your new computer" immediately followed by a line which
reads, "Please press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to Restart Your System." I can only
boot from either the startup disk or forcing the safe mode option by pressing
F8 while the computer powers up. I've tried the Microsoft Knowledge Base
issues dealing with restoring the registry, editing the autoexec and system
ini files and starting from the startup disk with no positive results. I know
the short answer is to upgrade to XP, but I run an old image setter that does
not have drivers supported by XP, so I'm stuck with ME. I appreciate any help.

The correct short answer is NOT to upgrade to XP under these conditions but
to repair the WinME installation.

Begin by examining for a C:\Windows\winini.ini file. If found, rename it to
winini.old and attempt to reboot to Normal Mode. Do not fiddle with any
other winini.*** files.

Report any new error messges:

How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Chris Allen" <ChrisAllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had to remove Norton/Symantec software due to an error. I followed the
> Norton/Symantec step-by-step instructions to do so. Now I cannot start in
> Normal mode. I receive a DOS message which reads something like, "Now
> preparing to start your new computer" immediately followed by a line which
> reads, "Please press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to Restart Your System." I can
only
> boot from either the startup disk or forcing the safe mode option by
pressing
> F8 while the computer powers up. I've tried the Microsoft Knowledge Base
> issues dealing with restoring the registry, editing the autoexec and
system
> ini files and starting from the startup disk with no positive results. I
know
> the short answer is to upgrade to XP, but I run an old image setter that
does
> not have drivers supported by XP, so I'm stuck with ME. I appreciate any
help.

Jack/Chris
the filename to look for is WININIT.INI - not winini.ini!!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> The correct short answer is NOT to upgrade to XP under these conditions
> but
> to repair the WinME installation.
>
> Begin by examining for a C:\Windows\winini.ini file. If found, rename it
> winini.old and attempt to reboot to Normal Mode. Do not fiddle with any
> other winini.*** files.
>
> Report any new error messges:
>
> How to Examine Detailed Error Messages in Windows Millennium Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264938

> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Chris Allen" <ChrisAllen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I had to remove Norton/Symantec software due to an error. I followed the
>> Norton/Symantec step-by-step instructions to do so. Now I cannot start in
>> Normal mode. I receive a DOS message which reads something like, "Now
>> preparing to start your new computer" immediately followed by a line
>> which
>> reads, "Please press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to Restart Your System." I can
> only
>> boot from either the startup disk or forcing the safe mode option by
> pressing
>> F8 while the computer powers up. I've tried the Microsoft Knowledge Base
>> issues dealing with restoring the registry, editing the autoexec and
> system
>> ini files and starting from the startup disk with no positive results. I
> know
>> the short answer is to upgrade to XP, but I run an old image setter that
> does
>> not have drivers supported by XP, so I'm stuck with ME. I appreciate any
> help.

Thank you, Noel.
Another senior moment!

"=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQWxsZW4=?=" <ChrisAllen@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:18042543-3DD5-4B40-9B83-C474EB2A960D@microsoft.com:

> I had to remove Norton/Symantec software due to an error. I followed the
> Norton/Symantec step-by-step instructions to do so. Now I cannot start
> in Normal mode. I receive a DOS message which reads something like, "Now
> preparing to start your new computer" immediately followed by a line
> which reads, "Please press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to Restart Your System."
> I can only boot from either the startup disk or forcing the safe mode
> option by pressing F8 while the computer powers up. I've tried the
> Microsoft Knowledge Base issues dealing with restoring the registry,
> editing the autoexec and system ini files and starting from the startup
> disk with no positive results. I know the short answer is to upgrade to
> XP, but I run an old image setter that does not have drivers supported
> by XP, so I'm stuck with ME. I appreciate any help.

I have been having this exact same problem for quite some time. For the past
two weeks I have posted here and searched all over the internet for something
relating to this problem without luck. I have found others with the same
problem but as far as I know, they have not received a definitive answer yet
either.

My problem started with reinstalling Windows ME. However, I can tell you how
you may be able to boot normally. Try this:

Restart->
F8 and choose selective startup (Step-by-Step Configuration)->
Select yes (Y) to everything except AUTOEXEC.BAT

This worked for me but it has to be done everytime I boot up. If I select Yes
to AUTOEXEC.BAT or select No to Graphical Interface, I get the exact same
message that you are getting.

You might give this a try. If I ever manage to find an answer to this, I will
post it here.

By the way, you wrote: "I followed the Norton/Symantec step-by-step
instructions to do so."

Where did you obtain this information? Maybe if we knew what it entailed, it
may give us an idea where the problem lies.