Can't Install CD-R Drive

I'm trying to swap out the CD reader with a CD-R. When I plug the CD-R in
when I reboot it is asking me to insert a system disk. It's sort of acting
like there's no OS. When I plug the old CD reader back in everything works
fine. I notice the ribbon goes from the motherboard to the hard drive to the
CD reader. I'd ideally like to keep the reader and add the CD-R as well but
I'm not sure how to proceed.

--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
For MLS & Computer Training: http://www.BrokerAgentTraining.com
Realtors Earn Over 100% at EXIT: http://www.over100percent.com

Confirm that the jumpers on the two drives correspond with the cabling
positions.
I recommend obtaining a second cable and configuring the HD to be the Master
on the first IDE channel, with the CR-RW the Master on the second channel,
to maximize performance.
Be sure to confirm that the order of booting from the devices is as desired
in the BIOS setup program.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

On 23-Mar-2005, "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> Confirm that the jumpers on the two drives correspond with the cabling
> positions.
> I recommend obtaining a second cable and configuring the HD to be the
> Master
> on the first IDE channel, with the CR-RW the Master on the second channel,
> to maximize performance.
> Be sure to confirm that the order of booting from the devices is as
> desired
> in the BIOS setup program.

Can I leave the old cd reader and hard drive intact and then plug the new
cd-r in an open IDE slot?

--
Warmest regards,

Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
For MLS & Computer Training: http://www.BrokerAgentTraining.com
Realtors Earn Over 100% at EXIT: http://www.over100percent.com

Yes.
However, I recommend installing the older CD reader as the slave to the
CD-RW drive on the second IDE channel.
This facilitates CD copying.

> On 23-Mar-2005, "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>
wrote:

> > Confirm that the jumpers on the two drives correspond with the cabling
> > positions.
> > I recommend obtaining a second cable and configuring the HD to be the
> > Master
> > on the first IDE channel, with the CR-RW the Master on the second
channel,
> > to maximize performance.
> > Be sure to confirm that the order of booting from the devices is as
> > desired
> > in the BIOS setup program.
>
> Can I leave the old cd reader and hard drive intact and then plug the new
> cd-r in an open IDE slot?
>
> --
> Warmest regards,
>
> Stephen Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.
> For MLS & Computer Training: http://www.BrokerAgentTraining.com
> Realtors Earn Over 100% at EXIT: http://www.over100percent.com

On 23-Mar-2005, "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote:

> Confirm that the jumpers on the two drives correspond with the cabling
> positions.
> I recommend obtaining a second cable and configuring the HD to be the
> Master
> on the first IDE channel, with the CR-RW the Master on the second channel,
> to maximize performance.
> Be sure to confirm that the order of booting from the devices is as
> desired
> in the BIOS setup program.

I'm sorry I meant that I'm trying to install a CD-RW drive.