CAB files?

I have GBs of .cab files on my hard drive.

What are these files?
Can I delete?
7 answers Last reply
More about files

    Where are these files located?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:

    > I have GBs of .cab files on my hard drive.
    >
    > What are these files?
    > Can I delete?

    Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered throughout the
    Windows and Programs folders.

    > Where are these files located?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I have GBs of .cab files on my hard drive.
    > >
    > > What are these files?
    > > Can I delete?

    You should normally find a complete set of Win Me cab files (for example
    BASE2.CAB, DRIVER5.CAB, WIN_10.CAB etc, about 25 in total amounting to
    approx 140MB) in either Windows\Options\Install or Windows\Options\Cabs
    although these cab files may be located in a different folder/location.
    These should be retained and if you only have a recovery CD rather than a
    "full" Win Me CD the entire folder containing the CAB files burned to CD
    for safety.

    C:\SYSBCKUP
    You should normally expect to find 5 RB00?.CAB files in this location
    which are backup copies of your registry. These should be retained. If
    you have a cab file in this folder with a name something like RB*BAD.CAB
    this can be safely deleted.

    CAB files located other than above or in _RESTORE\ARCHIVE. I would expect
    to see few such files. A clean Win Me install has just 4 CAB files
    (EBD.CAB, PSS.CAB, RUNHELP.CAB & MSN50.CAB) but some applications may also
    use this file extension.

    System Restore archive. (C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE)
    Cab files in this location comprise system restore checkpoints (RG*.CAB
    files) and archived files needed when restoring (FS*.CAB files).

    The _RESTORE folders shouldn't occupy more than 12% of your C: drive or
    400MB if the drive is <4GB. If more than that it would appear that System
    Restore (SR) is not discarding (FIFOing) older data correctly, possibly
    because at some time the system was not immediately rebooted following a
    state change (switching SR either off or on).

    So, my first suggestion is to reset System Restore:
    To reset System Restore:
    System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
    System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
    restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
    System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
    System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
    automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
    Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder as explained
    earlier.

    If this doesn't clear down the _restore archive (and it doesn't always
    when users have experienced similar problems) the next suggestion is to
    boot to DOS using a floppy and delete the entire _RESTORE folder structure
    from there:
    a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
    when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
    without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
    available.
    b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

    ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
    REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

    c) Remove the floppy
    d) Reboot your PC
    e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:

    Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
    the following quick test.
    a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    b) Create a manual checkpoint
    c) Delete the shortcut
    d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:

    > Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
    > throughout the Windows and Programs folders.

    Tom, now do you understand better why I asked you not to do anything until
    you had heard from Mike Maltby re: System Restore CAB files?
    <VBG>

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
> [...]
    > c) Delete the shortcut
    > d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.

    > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Re: CAB files?
    > > Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
    > > throughout the Windows and Programs folders.

    You should normally find a complete set of Win Me cab files (for example
    BASE2.CAB, DRIVER5.CAB, WIN_10.CAB etc, about 25 in total amounting to
    approx 140MB) in either Windows\Options\Install or Windows\Options\Cabs
    although these cab files may be located in a different folder/location.
    These should be retained and if you only have a recovery CD rather than a
    "full" Win Me CD the entire folder containing the CAB files burned to CD

    Normally in C:\WINDOWS\sysbckup folder

    Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:

    > Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
    > throughout the Windows and Programs folders.

    I appreciate all the help re: _Restore\ CABs. However, the bulk of the CAB
    files are scatter throughout my Programs folders.

> [...]
    > > d) Reboot your PC
    > > e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
    > > f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
    > > g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:
    > >
    > > Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying
    out
    > > the following quick test.
    > > a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
    > > b) Create a manual checkpoint
    > > c) Delete the shortcut
    > > d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
    >
    > > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
    > > --
    > > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    > >

    > > Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Re: CAB files?
    > > > Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
    > > > throughout the Windows and Programs folders.

    Perhaps you didn't read my message which detailed all the CAB files and
    their locations that are present as a result of your using the Win Me
    operating system. In addition you will probably find a number of other
    cab files in the Program Files\Windows Update folder. Most if not all
    others are the result applications that you will have installed.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:

    > I appreciate all the help re: _Restore\ CABs. However, the bulk of
    > the CAB files are scatter throughout my Programs folders.

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows