CAB files?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 23, 2005 1:03:54 PM

I have GBs of .cab files on my hard drive.

What are these files?
Can I delete?

More about : cab files

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:25:16 PM

Where are these files located?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:

> I have GBs of .cab files on my hard drive.
>
> What are these files?
> Can I delete?
March 24, 2005 9:47:44 AM

Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered throughout the
Windows and Programs folders.

news:o 9yqHy7LFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Where are these files located?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:
>
> > I have GBs of .cab files on my hard drive.
> >
> > What are these files?
> > Can I delete?
March 24, 2005 3:17:35 PM

You should normally find a complete set of Win Me cab files (for example
BASE2.CAB, DRIVER5.CAB, WIN_10.CAB etc, about 25 in total amounting to
approx 140MB) in either Windows\Options\Install or Windows\Options\Cabs
although these cab files may be located in a different folder/location.
These should be retained and if you only have a recovery CD rather than a
"full" Win Me CD the entire folder containing the CAB files burned to CD
for safety.

C:\SYSBCKUP
You should normally expect to find 5 RB00?.CAB files in this location
which are backup copies of your registry. These should be retained. If
you have a cab file in this folder with a name something like RB*BAD.CAB
this can be safely deleted.

CAB files located other than above or in _RESTORE\ARCHIVE. I would expect
to see few such files. A clean Win Me install has just 4 CAB files
(EBD.CAB, PSS.CAB, RUNHELP.CAB & MSN50.CAB) but some applications may also
use this file extension.

System Restore archive. (C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE)
Cab files in this location comprise system restore checkpoints (RG*.CAB
files) and archived files needed when restoring (FS*.CAB files).

The _RESTORE folders shouldn't occupy more than 12% of your C: drive or
400MB if the drive is <4GB. If more than that it would appear that System
Restore (SR) is not discarding (FIFOing) older data correctly, possibly
because at some time the system was not immediately rebooted following a
state change (switching SR either off or on).

So, my first suggestion is to reset System Restore:
To reset System Restore:
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
restore folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder as explained
earlier.

If this doesn't clear down the _restore archive (and it doesn't always
when users have experienced similar problems) the next suggestion is to
boot to DOS using a floppy and delete the entire _RESTORE folder structure
from there:
a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
available.
b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

c) Remove the floppy
d) Reboot your PC
e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:

Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
the following quick test.
a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
b) Create a manual checkpoint
c) Delete the shortcut
d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:

> Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
> throughout the Windows and Programs folders.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:17:36 PM

Tom, now do you understand better why I asked you not to do anything until
you had heard from Mike Maltby re: System Restore CAB files?
<VBG>

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> [...]
>
> c) Remove the floppy
> d) Reboot your PC
> e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
> f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
> g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:
>
> Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying out
> the following quick test.
> a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
> b) Create a manual checkpoint
> c) Delete the shortcut
> d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.

> Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:
>
> > Re: CAB files?
> > Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
> > throughout the Windows and Programs folders.

March 25, 2005 3:25:45 AM

You should normally find a complete set of Win Me cab files (for example
BASE2.CAB, DRIVER5.CAB, WIN_10.CAB etc, about 25 in total amounting to
approx 140MB) in either Windows\Options\Install or Windows\Options\Cabs
although these cab files may be located in a different folder/location.
These should be retained and if you only have a recovery CD rather than a
"full" Win Me CD the entire folder containing the CAB files burned to CD
for safety.

C:\SYSBCKUP
Normally in C:\WINDOWS\sysbckup folder

Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:

> Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
> throughout the Windows and Programs folders.
March 27, 2005 9:34:57 PM

I appreciate all the help re: _Restore\ CABs. However, the bulk of the CAB
files are scatter throughout my Programs folders.

news:o WeaJTHMFHA.3296@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> > d) Reboot your PC
> > e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
> > f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
> > g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder:
> >
> > Finally you may want to give system restore the once over by carrying
out
> > the following quick test.
> > a) Create a shortcut on your desktop to a file.
> > b) Create a manual checkpoint
> > c) Delete the shortcut
> > d) Restore you PC to the checkpoint you created.
>
> > Was the shortcut restored? Did you see any error messages?
> > --
> > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> > mike.maltby@gmail.com
> >

> > Tom <tebarn@epix.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Re: CAB files?
> > > Many are in the Restore folder but I also have lots scattered
> > > throughout the Windows and Programs folders.

March 28, 2005 4:09:53 AM

Perhaps you didn't read my message which detailed all the CAB files and
their locations that are present as a result of your using the Win Me
operating system. In addition you will probably find a number of other
cab files in the Program Files\Windows Update folder. Most if not all
others are the result applications that you will have installed.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

!