print server stopped Remote Desk

I use Remote Desktop connection regularly between my home computer and my
laptop at work. I have linksys cable modem with a linksys router. I have
setup the port settings with the router to get past the firewall and also
configured my software firewalls. Connection has been good until I installed
a print server to my system. Now my Remote Desktop connection no longer
works. Any ideas?

No ones had this problem huh?

"ME Johnson" <mjohnsonjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I use Remote Desktop connection regularly between my home computer and my
>laptop at work. I have linksys cable modem with a linksys router. I have
>setup the port settings with the router to get past the firewall and also
>configured my software firewalls. Connection has been good until I
>installed a print server to my system. Now my Remote Desktop connection no
>longer works. Any ideas?

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

No, I certainly haven't had the problem.

The only thing I could think of that would allow a print server to mess with
you configuration might be and address change to accommodate the new device.
I also don't know what port it might use, but I suppose there may be one in
common.

Clark

> No ones had this problem huh?
>
> "ME Johnson" <mjohnsonjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I use Remote Desktop connection regularly between my home computer and my
>>laptop at work. I have linksys cable modem with a linksys router. I have
>>setup the port settings with the router to get past the firewall and also
>>configured my software firewalls. Connection has been good until I
>>installed a print server to my system. Now my Remote Desktop connection no
>>longer works. Any ideas?

I'll bet thats it. I had to assign an IP for it to work and need to set the
router for that IP also
"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> No, I certainly haven't had the problem.
>
> The only thing I could think of that would allow a print server to mess
> with you configuration might be and address change to accommodate the new
> device. I also don't know what port it might use, but I suppose there may
> be one in common.
>
> Clark
>
> "ME Johnson" <mjohnsonjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> No ones had this problem huh?
>>
>> "ME Johnson" <mjohnsonjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I use Remote Desktop connection regularly between my home computer and my
>>>laptop at work. I have linksys cable modem with a linksys router. I have
>>>setup the port settings with the router to get past the firewall and also
>>>configured my software firewalls. Connection has been good until I
>>>installed a print server to my system. Now my Remote Desktop connection
>>>no longer works. Any ideas?

Nope, didn't work. The only other thing I did was put a wireless Mouse and
Keyboard on the system...

> I'll bet thats it. I had to assign an IP for it to work and need to set
> the router for that IP also
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
>> No, I certainly haven't had the problem.
>>
>> The only thing I could think of that would allow a print server to mess
>> with you configuration might be and address change to accommodate the new
>> device. I also don't know what port it might use, but I suppose there may
>> be one in common.
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "ME Johnson" <mjohnsonjr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> No ones had this problem huh?
>>>
>>> "ME Johnson" <mjohnsonjr@comcast.net> wrote in message

Malke

ME Johnson wrote:

> Nope, didn't work. The only other thing I did was put a wireless Mouse
> and Keyboard on the system...

Then take them off and see if that makes a difference. Could be
interference.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

That did not correct it....Would the print server and router being close to
each other matter? I can connect with a NAT IP when the computers are in the
same room but it will not connect to the true IP which I find on
whatismyip.com

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> ME Johnson wrote:
>
>> Nope, didn't work. The only other thing I did was put a wireless Mouse
>> and Keyboard on the system...
>>
> Then take them off and see if that makes a difference. Could be
> interference.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

ME Johnson wrote:

> That did not correct it....Would the print server and router being
> close to each other matter? I can connect with a NAT IP when the
> computers are in the same room but it will not connect to the true IP
> which I find on whatismyip.com

Check your DNS settings.

Mlake
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

> ME Johnson wrote:
>
> > That did not correct it....Would the print server and router being
> > close to each other matter? I can connect with a NAT IP when the
> > computers are in the same room but it will not connect to the true IP
> > which I find on whatismyip.com
> >

> Check your DNS settings.
>
> Mlake
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I missed the first part, but if you are using a router for NAT, it
typically will not let you connect to the WAN side address that
you would get from "whatsmyip.com". That is part of the
protection the routers provide -- they do not accept connections
unless it is part of an ongoing "conversation" (sort of like dial out
only phones). I have my router set to discard the icmp echo
(Ping) from the WAN side so it is mostly invisible unless I
originate the connection.

mikey

You can open a port and bypass the router firewall, which is what I have
done and it used to work fine. My problem did not start until I put the
wireless print server on. Must have something to do with frequencies.

The print server is using a set DNS but the router is automatic.