Homebrew vs. Cheap HP etc...

Is a barebones from someplace like NewEgg still the way to go?
Thanks...

Dave

> Is a barebones from someplace like NewEgg still the way to go?
> Thanks...

Bit of a loaded question... depends on you. Can you build a PC? Some folks
like the barebones and if you find a good deal and good quality setup then
go for it.
--
Mac Cool

papa

A barebones system could be anything, from very poor capability (even if the
individual components are good) to very expandable capability. When you
purchase a barebones system, not only do you need to know the price, you
should also know in advance the details about the motherboard, power supply,
case, cpu, and memory. Only then will you be able to judge if it is the way
to go.

On 28 Dec 2004 14:51:26 -0800, galt_57@hotmail.com wrote:

>Is a barebones from someplace like NewEgg still the way to go?
>Thanks...

Homebrew will give you the best for your money.Also needed the most of
time for deciding which hardware to use,build-up and
after-build-up-testing (is the cheap memory ok or cause it
bluescreens?).Its expensive,compared to the others.

Barebone will take you some of the decicions.You could use your dvd
and cdr-burners from the old pc in the new barebone.Save you money.
Best way if you know something about pcs.

Cheap HPs let you get started very early.Saves you many time (like 4-5
hours compared to homebrew).You have to spend more money and will get
"outdated" hardware.The Intel 845-Chipset might be 2 years old
now.No,not your fancy nvidia or SIS-Chipset with 5-7% more power but
very reliable!I work currently on a compaq,which works 4-6 weeks
without Bluescreens.I just use it!USB,Suspend-Mode,Printer,Sound-all
works flawlessly.

For a basic system any name brand is ok. I recently read a rave review
about e-machines! What you get is what you pay for. If you build it
yourself you get a better box, but that's because you put in your time. If
you're not going to launch missils I think it's smarter to get a cheap name
brand one because they come with a warranty, they work right out of the box,
and the only time you put in is going to get it and plugging it in.

You can always upgrade it with more memory, better video, decent burner,
etc., if the need arises.

I bought a used Compaq Armada laptop at a computer show 5 years ago, running
win98, to use for email, internet, word, and excel. It hasn't missed a beat
in all that time and still gives good performance. It has a celeron CPU
running somewhere around 400 Mhz. You really don't need a lot of juice for
basic computer tasks. It's wifi carded to my linksys router, and with
comcast broadband there's not much difference between it and much newer,
faster, more expensive machines in terms of what happens at the keyboard.
But then again, I'm patient, and waiting a few seconds doesn't bother me.

-Alby Hewlet:

> If you build it yourself you get a better box

You get a better box if you make informed, wise choices for the hardware.

--
Mac Cool

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

-Alby Hewlet wrote:
> For a basic system any name brand is ok. I recently read a rave
review
> about e-machines! What you get is what you pay for. If you build it

> yourself you get a better box, but that's because you put in your
time.
> If you're not going to launch missiles I think it's smarter to get a
> cheap name brand one because they come with a warranty, they work
right
> out of the box, and the only time you put in is going to get it and
> plugging it in.
>
> You can always upgrade it with more memory, better video, decent
burner,
> etc., if the need arises.
> [...]

I guess what I should have asked is this: what such pc's do not lock
you into some stupid non-standard motherboard form-factor or other
similar
troubles? Thanks...

Dave:

> I guess what I should have asked is this: what such pc's do not lock
> you into some stupid non-standard motherboard form-factor or other
> similar
> troubles? Thanks...

You would have to research each manufacturer, but most of the bigger ones
use a lot of proprietary parts. If you want to switch things around in the
future, you may want to look at ATX barebones.
--
Mac Cool