SMART Feature

After the fiasco with XP, Noel asked if the SMART feature was still turned
on in the BIOS........I ran the Belarc Advisor and it said it was......

However.....today I *paused* the screen at bootup and it said it was capable
of this, but NOT enabled. I don't know if it ever was, to be honest.

But if I want to enable it, how do I go about it?? Help was of no
assistance.

Cheers....Heather
21 answers Last reply
More about smart feature

    First - is Belarc still saying it's switched on???

    Go into the BIOS, and look there for the SMART switch - it's likely to be on
    the first screen option.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > First - is Belarc still saying it's switched on???

    Yes......this is verbatim....

    SAMSUNG SV4084H [Hard drive] (40.82 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 0274J1FR126521, rev
    PM100-17, SMART Status: Healthy

    Looks to me like it is still considered on.

    > Go into the BIOS, and look there for the SMART switch - it's likely to be
    on the first screen option.

    I will try......but not familiar with the BIOS stuff. I have lost one of
    the black and white screens that used to come on at bootup showing a ream of
    stuff including where it was booting from at the bottom.

    Still have 3 major things on here from the XP install that have not been
    accessed and wondering if I should remove them, but that is a different
    topic.

    Cheers..Heather

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > After the fiasco with XP, Noel asked if the SMART feature was still
    turned
    > > on in the BIOS........I ran the Belarc Advisor and it said it was......
    > >
    > > However.....today I *paused* the screen at bootup and it said it was
    > > capable
    > > of this, but NOT enabled. I don't know if it ever was, to be honest.
    > >
    > > But if I want to enable it, how do I go about it?? Help was of no
    > > assistance.
    > >
    > > Cheers....Heather

    OK....went into the BIOS, found the SMART switch disabled, so enabled it.
    Is that what you wanted me to do??

    Then the damned printer icon in the lower right came up double.....so I
    checked in Startup and two slightly different EPSON things were ticked
    off.....took out both ticks and now they are still there but unticked.

    Heather

    > First - is Belarc still saying it's switched on???
    >
    > Go into the BIOS, and look there for the SMART switch - it's likely to be
    on
    > the first screen option.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > After the fiasco with XP, Noel asked if the SMART feature was still
    turned
    > > on in the BIOS........I ran the Belarc Advisor and it said it was......
    > >
    > > However.....today I *paused* the screen at bootup and it said it was
    > > capable
    > > of this, but NOT enabled. I don't know if it ever was, to be honest.
    > >
    > > But if I want to enable it, how do I go about it?? Help was of no
    > > assistance.
    > >
    > > Cheers....Heather

    Hmmm - interesting, as both Everest and Belarc had earlier reported SMART
    healthy - did you do a BIOS reset recently???
    (and Belarc seems still to be reporting the same!)

    I can think of no good reason for the duplication of the printer icons
    (after all, it's not a Lexmark <ptui> we're talking about <g>), unless it's
    somehow managed to pick up two driver sets.....
    although Epsons do have some strange quirks (and I avoid them as a rule,
    although they are actually pretty good printers)
    what are the filenames for the two entries?? - it's possible that for some
    reason the Status Monitor icon has gotten confused with the Activity (or
    whatever it's called) icon, so you're actually seeing the wrong Icon, rather
    than the wrong program

    What driver version is installed - according to the Printer Properties?

    --

    > OK....went into the BIOS, found the SMART switch disabled, so enabled it.
    > Is that what you wanted me to do??
    >
    > Then the damned printer icon in the lower right came up double.....so I
    > checked in Startup and two slightly different EPSON things were ticked
    > off.....took out both ticks and now they are still there but unticked.
    >
    > Heather
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> First - is Belarc still saying it's switched on???
    >>
    >> Go into the BIOS, and look there for the SMART switch - it's likely to be
    > on
    >> the first screen option.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > After the fiasco with XP, Noel asked if the SMART feature was still
    > turned
    >> > on in the BIOS........I ran the Belarc Advisor and it said it was......
    >> >
    >> > However.....today I *paused* the screen at bootup and it said it was
    >> > capable
    >> > of this, but NOT enabled. I don't know if it ever was, to be honest.
    >> >
    >> > But if I want to enable it, how do I go about it?? Help was of no
    >> > assistance.
    >> >
    >> > Cheers....Heather

    Hi Noel.......see inline.

    > Hmmm - interesting, as both Everest and Belarc had earlier reported SMART
    healthy - did you do a BIOS reset recently???
    > (and Belarc seems still to be reporting the same!)

    NO....unless I did something when I was trying to get XP to work
    properly.....I know I was in the BIOS then. Just looking, I
    thought........but I think I altered something to do with *optimum
    performance* or along that line.

    > what are the filenames for the two entries?? - it's possible that for some
    > reason the Status Monitor icon has gotten confused with the Activity (or
    > whatever it's called) icon, so you're actually seeing the wrong Icon,
    rather
    > than the wrong program

    Both icons were the same, FWIW.....and now I see that there is nothing in
    the Start/Programs List in order to activate the printer.....nor is there an
    desktop icon. So guess I will have to put one back. When I did a CAD,
    there was "e_s412H1" or some such running in the background.....but not sure
    which of the two it belonged to. Have had some problems with this printer
    with dual CAD entries and also removed the Arc Software for fixing pictures
    coz it just would NOT work. Errors all the time.

    The 2 entries are relatively the same......

    Both named *EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series*

    One is loaded from "Registry (Per-User Run) and the other from "Registry
    (Machine Run)

    First one has the following Command description......
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S412H1.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series" /M
    "Stylus Photo R200" /EF "HKCU"

    2nd one (Machine Run one) is.....
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S412H1.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series" /05
    "LPT1:" /M "Stylus Photo R200"

    > What driver version is installed - according to the Printer Properties?

    Where will I get that? Can't find a way to open the printer up at the
    moment....hang on.

    OK......think I have got it. Did a Search and found this in
    Windows\INF\Other......

    DriverVer-09/17/2003, 6.50.00.00

    As I think I said above, I will have to put one of those back and not sure
    which one. Dam thing!! I like my old Canon 240B inkjet better. I bought
    the printer at Xmas and have only printed off two things. It also does CD
    labels......whoopee!!

    Cheers......"Murphy"

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > OK....went into the BIOS, found the SMART switch disabled, so enabled
    it.
    > > Is that what you wanted me to do??
    > >
    > > Then the damned printer icon in the lower right came up double.....so I
    > > checked in Startup and two slightly different EPSON things were ticked
    > > off.....took out both ticks and now they are still there but unticked.
    > >
    > > Heather
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> First - is Belarc still saying it's switched on???
    > >>
    > >> Go into the BIOS, and look there for the SMART switch - it's likely to
    be
    > > on
    > >> the first screen option.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > turned

    Noel.......

    The following is the update page for drivers, but it is darned confusing
    which ones to put on first......and I don't want any that are not just plain
    old printer drivers, coz I took the picture software (Arcsoft) off of this
    machine.

    My patience just went out the window!! I found my HP Scanner to be rather
    tetchy and confusing for a while at first as well. Can't they do these
    things for *blondes*???

    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=29081&prodoid=37368464&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

    Heather wrote:
    > Noel.......

    <Snipped>

    > My patience just went out the window!! I found my HP Scanner to be rather
    > tetchy and confusing for a while at first as well. Can't they do these
    > things for *blondes*???

    Oh, Oh!! I hope you didn't open that big can of worms called "The blonde
    world". I will have to keep lurking here because among others, there
    must be a reply in the offing from Heirloom among others. I always enjoy
    the humorous exchanges between the "friendly adversaries" that live in
    this group. BTW Heather, I may skip my XP-Home upgrade until I hear you
    are running as smooth as a cats purr. Rots a ruck. ;-)

    sced13ri

    <Snipped>

    <lol> You may be waiting a long time <g> didn't you know Murphy's Law
    was written for Heather <g>
    Joan

    looneytunes>verizone.net wrote:

    > Oh, Oh!! I hope you didn't open that big can of worms called "The blonde
    > world". I will have to keep lurking here because among others, there
    > must be a reply in the offing from Heirloom among others. I always enjoy
    > the humorous exchanges between the "friendly adversaries" that live in
    > this group. BTW Heather, I may skip my XP-Home upgrade until I hear you
    > are running as smooth as a cats purr. Rots a ruck. ;-)
    >
    > sced13ri
    >

    > <Snipped>

    I didn't know about that. Are there penalties for breaking said law, or
    does Heather just lose the title "Queen of the North" for a day or two?
    I better jump behind my shield about now. :-)

    sced13ri

    Joan Archer wrote:

    > <lol> You may be waiting a long time <g> didn't you know Murphy's Law
    > was written for Heather <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > looneytunes>verizone.net wrote:
    >

    >> Oh, Oh!! I hope you didn't open that big can of worms called "The
    >> blonde world". I will have to keep lurking here because among others,
    >> there must be a reply in the offing from Heirloom among others. I
    >> always enjoy the humorous exchanges between the "friendly adversaries"
    >> that live in this group. BTW Heather, I may skip my XP-Home upgrade
    >> until I hear you are running as smooth as a cats purr. Rots a ruck. ;-)
    >>
    >> sced13ri
    >>

    >> <Snipped>

    I'll get you two later when I stumble my way thru putting the damned drivers
    on here. They are the *bane* of my existence. They scare the bejeebers out
    of me, as Noel well knows!!

    Cheers....The Blonde Called Murphy

    "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > <lol> You may be waiting a long time <g> didn't you know Murphy's Law
    > was written for Heather <g>
    > Joan
    >
    > looneytunes>verizone.net wrote:
    >

    > > Oh, Oh!! I hope you didn't open that big can of worms called "The blonde
    > > world". I will have to keep lurking here because among others, there
    > > must be a reply in the offing from Heirloom among others. I always enjoy
    > > the humorous exchanges between the "friendly adversaries" that live in
    > > this group. BTW Heather, I may skip my XP-Home upgrade until I hear you
    > > are running as smooth as a cats purr. Rots a ruck. ;-)
    > >
    > > sced13ri
    > >

    > > <Snipped>

    Noel, FWIW - both Belarc and Everest report SMART as Healthy or OK on my
    Maxtor HDD's whether or not SMART is enabled in the (NEC/PackBell) BIOS.

    My *guess* is that you only enable it in the BIOS if you want it to give a
    POST early warning error report. Otherwise things like Belarc and Everest
    (or specific SMART utilities) will pick it up in Windows.

    Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_Reporting_Technology

    Mart

    Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Noel, FWIW - both Belarc and Everest report SMART as Healthy or OK on
    > my Maxtor HDD's whether or not SMART is enabled in the (NEC/PackBell)
    > BIOS.
    > My *guess* is that you only enable it in the BIOS if you want it to
    > give a POST early warning error report. Otherwise things like Belarc
    > and Everest (or specific SMART utilities) will pick it up in Windows.

    I think that's the case. I've seen it claimed that XP is SMART aware but
    given my disk failure late last year I can tell you that if that is the
    case this particular XP system ignored any SMART warnings. The problem
    with Everest and SMART is, for me, interpreting the data. For example the
    only indication of the major hard disk problems I had was Everest
    reporting C5 Current Pending Sector Count as 0 143 12 1117 for the problem
    disk against two healthy disks showing 0 253 253 0 for the same entry.
    Everest's comment "OK: Always passing" wasn't particularly reassuring when
    the drive was all but dead. :-( Belarc simply reported the drive as
    Healthy something it certainly was not!

    > Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_Reporting_Technology
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Hi Mike & Mart......

    Your comments lead me to believe that it probably was never enabled on this
    computer. I just enabled it today......is that a good thing?? Belarc
    reported it as 'healthy' both disabled and enabled.

    How does it warn you, btw. Is there something I have to open or does it
    just show up as a 'warning'......

    Thanks....Heather

    > Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Noel, FWIW - both Belarc and Everest report SMART as Healthy or OK on
    > > my Maxtor HDD's whether or not SMART is enabled in the (NEC/PackBell)
    > > BIOS.
    > > My *guess* is that you only enable it in the BIOS if you want it to
    > > give a POST early warning error report. Otherwise things like Belarc
    > > and Everest (or specific SMART utilities) will pick it up in Windows.
    >
    > I think that's the case. I've seen it claimed that XP is SMART aware but
    > given my disk failure late last year I can tell you that if that is the
    > case this particular XP system ignored any SMART warnings. The problem
    > with Everest and SMART is, for me, interpreting the data. For example the
    > only indication of the major hard disk problems I had was Everest
    > reporting C5 Current Pending Sector Count as 0 143 12 1117 for the problem
    > disk against two healthy disks showing 0 253 253 0 for the same entry.
    > Everest's comment "OK: Always passing" wasn't particularly reassuring when
    > the drive was all but dead. :-( Belarc simply reported the drive as
    > Healthy something it certainly was not!
    >
    > > Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_Reporting_Technology
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com

    It should show up on the POST screen at boot - you'll see an extra line
    describing the HD, and its status.

    --

    > Hi Mike & Mart......
    >
    > Your comments lead me to believe that it probably was never enabled on
    > this
    > computer. I just enabled it today......is that a good thing?? Belarc
    > reported it as 'healthy' both disabled and enabled.
    >
    > How does it warn you, btw. Is there something I have to open or does it
    > just show up as a 'warning'......
    >
    > Thanks....Heather
    >
    > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
    >> Mart <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Noel, FWIW - both Belarc and Everest report SMART as Healthy or OK on
    >> > my Maxtor HDD's whether or not SMART is enabled in the (NEC/PackBell)
    >> > BIOS.
    >> > My *guess* is that you only enable it in the BIOS if you want it to
    >> > give a POST early warning error report. Otherwise things like Belarc
    >> > and Everest (or specific SMART utilities) will pick it up in Windows.
    >>
    >> I think that's the case. I've seen it claimed that XP is SMART aware but
    >> given my disk failure late last year I can tell you that if that is the
    >> case this particular XP system ignored any SMART warnings. The problem
    >> with Everest and SMART is, for me, interpreting the data. For example
    >> the
    >> only indication of the major hard disk problems I had was Everest
    >> reporting C5 Current Pending Sector Count as 0 143 12 1117 for the
    >> problem
    >> disk against two healthy disks showing 0 253 253 0 for the same entry.
    >> Everest's comment "OK: Always passing" wasn't particularly reassuring
    >> when
    >> the drive was all but dead. :-( Belarc simply reported the drive as
    >> Healthy something it certainly was not!
    >>
    >> > Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology
    >> >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_Reporting_Technology
    >> --
    >> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Thanks.......but that goes flying by so fast, I wouldn't see
    it........assuming I am thinking of the right one. I tried to pause the
    screen again tonight to check the Enabling SMART and the computer gave me
    some warning beeps....do you use Shift + Pause? I probably hit Break. (no
    shift key)

    Cheers.....Heather

    > It should show up on the POST screen at boot - you'll see an extra line
    > describing the HD, and its status.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Hi Mike & Mart......
    > >
    > > Your comments lead me to believe that it probably was never enabled on
    > > this
    > > computer. I just enabled it today......is that a good thing?? Belarc
    > > reported it as 'healthy' both disabled and enabled.
    > >
    > > How does it warn you, btw. Is there something I have to open or does it
    > > just show up as a 'warning'......
    > >
    > > Thanks....Heather
    > >
    > > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > >> I think that's the case. I've seen it claimed that XP is SMART aware
    but
    > >> given my disk failure late last year I can tell you that if that is the
    > >> case this particular XP system ignored any SMART warnings. The problem
    > >> with Everest and SMART is, for me, interpreting the data. For example
    > >> the
    > >> only indication of the major hard disk problems I had was Everest
    > >> reporting C5 Current Pending Sector Count as 0 143 12 1117 for the
    > >> problem
    > >> disk against two healthy disks showing 0 253 253 0 for the same entry.
    > >> Everest's comment "OK: Always passing" wasn't particularly reassuring
    > >> when
    > >> the drive was all but dead. :-( Belarc simply reported the drive as
    > >> Healthy something it certainly was not!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_Reporting_Technology
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > >> mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Just hitting the Pause/Break key should be enough to stop the POST in its
    tracks (after the RAM has counted) it shouldn't beep at you (AFAIK, though I
    dare say that some BIOS' are different!)
    hitting the SPACE bar should then restart it.

    --

    > Thanks.......but that goes flying by so fast, I wouldn't see
    > it........assuming I am thinking of the right one. I tried to pause the
    > screen again tonight to check the Enabling SMART and the computer gave me
    > some warning beeps....do you use Shift + Pause? I probably hit Break.
    > (no
    > shift key)
    >
    > Cheers.....Heather
    >
    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> It should show up on the POST screen at boot - you'll see an extra line
    >> describing the HD, and its status.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Mike & Mart......
    >> >
    >> > Your comments lead me to believe that it probably was never enabled on
    >> > this
    >> > computer. I just enabled it today......is that a good thing?? Belarc
    >> > reported it as 'healthy' both disabled and enabled.
    >> >
    >> > How does it warn you, btw. Is there something I have to open or does
    >> > it
    >> > just show up as a 'warning'......
    >> >
    >> > Thanks....Heather
    >> >
    >> > "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message

    > but

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_Reporting_Technology

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Figgs, I guess I was away in Texas during your ME-to-XP upgrade debacle.
    In three or four sentences, please tell me what happened then.
    Other than a hardware failure, I am surprised it didn't proceed swimmingly.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    <SNIP>
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    S.M.A.R.T.
    http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/qual/featuresSMART.html

    > Just hitting the Pause/Break key should be enough to stop the POST in its
    > tracks (after the RAM has counted) it shouldn't beep at you (AFAIK, though
    > dare say that some BIOS' are different!)
    > hitting the SPACE bar should then restart it.
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Thanks.......but that goes flying by so fast, I wouldn't see
    > > it........assuming I am thinking of the right one. I tried to pause the
    > > screen again tonight to check the Enabling SMART and the computer gave
    me
    > > some warning beeps....do you use Shift + Pause? I probably hit Break.
    > > (no
    > > shift key)
    > >
    > > Cheers.....Heather
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > >> It should show up on the POST screen at boot - you'll see an extra line
    > >> describing the HD, and its status.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > >> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    Belarc

    Belarc

    > > but

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis_and_Reporting_Technology

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    3 or 4 sentences.....sheesh, I can't do that.....but will try.

    1. Did everything by the book prior to upgrading.....removed everything
    Upgrade Advisor said to do. Backed up everything as well.
    2. Started the XP Home upgrade and I kept getting brief black screens when
    it was working on "devices".
    3. Took 9 tries to get it on coz it was almost complete when it crashed and
    I no longer had ME on here.....
    4. Crashed every 5 minutes from thereon in. So finally uninstalled it, but
    it took 4 tries to do that due to all the crashing.

    There....4 sentences. I had one big mess. Left a lot of XP folders behind.
    Slowly removing them.

    Oops....a 5th sentence.

    XX Figgs

    > Figgs, I guess I was away in Texas during your ME-to-XP upgrade debacle.
    > In three or four sentences, please tell me what happened then.
    > Other than a hardware failure, I am surprised it didn't proceed
    swimmingly.

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > <SNIP>

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Did you save a copy of the XP Upgrade Advisor report, either on file or
    printed.
    If so, I would like a copy.

    What were the error messages during the failing upgrade attempts?
    Are you still running the same memory, and not having any problems with it?

    I've never seen or heard of anything similar to your experience.
    I personally have never had a capable machine fail to upgrade.
    Did anyone here suggest an explanation?

    > 3 or 4 sentences.....sheesh, I can't do that.....but will try.
    >
    > 1. Did everything by the book prior to upgrading.....removed everything
    > Upgrade Advisor said to do. Backed up everything as well.
    > 2. Started the XP Home upgrade and I kept getting brief black screens
    when
    > it was working on "devices".
    > 3. Took 9 tries to get it on coz it was almost complete when it crashed
    and
    > I no longer had ME on here.....
    > 4. Crashed every 5 minutes from thereon in. So finally uninstalled it,
    but
    > it took 4 tries to do that due to all the crashing.
    >
    > There....4 sentences. I had one big mess. Left a lot of XP folders
    behind.
    > Slowly removing them.
    >
    > Oops....a 5th sentence.
    >
    > XX Figgs
    >
    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Figgs, I guess I was away in Texas during your ME-to-XP upgrade
    debacle.
    > > In three or four sentences, please tell me what happened then.
    > > Other than a hardware failure, I am surprised it didn't proceed
    > swimmingly.
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > <SNIP>

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Jack......see inline.

    > Did you save a copy of the XP Upgrade Advisor report, either on file or
    > printed. If so, I would like a copy.

    I will have a look for them......just deleted the desktop ones.

    > What were the error messages during the failing upgrade attempts?

    No error messages......only the brief blackouts during the installation of
    "devices". It got to the point where there was only 13 minutes left for the
    install when it kept stopping and restarting at "devices". Can't quite
    remember all the words.

    > Are you still running the same memory, and not having any problems with
    it?

    Yes.....in fact, ME is running even faster, grin. I still have some XP
    folders on here, but will gradually remove them. It took 4 tries to
    uninstall XP.

    > I've never seen or heard of anything similar to your experience.
    > I personally have never had a capable machine fail to upgrade.
    > Did anyone here suggest an explanation?

    Remember Murphy's Law......and me. Not kidding about that.....if there is a
    1 in 1,000 chance of something screwing up, it happens to me!!!

    Two suggestions only.......one from Noel and one from the tech.

    1. I didn't know I had an antivirus in the BIOS.....Trend Chipaway......and
    that I should have perhaps turned it off.

    2. I did get hit with a power surge in mid-January, but the tech ran 4
    hours of diagnostic testing and it seemed that everything was OK. However,
    he said that changing something in the Registry would have made XP install
    properly.

    HTH.....Heather

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > > 3 or 4 sentences.....sheesh, I can't do that.....but will try.
    > >
    > > 1. Did everything by the book prior to upgrading.....removed everything
    > > Upgrade Advisor said to do. Backed up everything as well.
    > > 2. Started the XP Home upgrade and I kept getting brief black screens
    > when
    > > it was working on "devices".
    > > 3. Took 9 tries to get it on coz it was almost complete when it crashed
    > and
    > > I no longer had ME on here.....
    > > 4. Crashed every 5 minutes from thereon in. So finally uninstalled it,
    > but
    > > it took 4 tries to do that due to all the crashing.
    > >
    > > There....4 sentences. I had one big mess. Left a lot of XP folders
    > behind.
    > > Slowly removing them.
    > >
    > > Oops....a 5th sentence.
    > >
    > > XX Figgs
    > >
    > > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > > Figgs, I guess I was away in Texas during your ME-to-XP upgrade
    > debacle.
    > > > In three or four sentences, please tell me what happened then.
    > > > Other than a hardware failure, I am surprised it didn't proceed
    > > swimmingly.
    > > > --
    > > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx