missing help and support after reinstalling win ME

Tags:
  • Support
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 23, 2005 4:43:05 PM

Two or three weeks ago my comp died, wouldn't reboot either normal or safe
mode. ended up formating hard drive, after many atempts to reinstall with OEM
recovery disk i have a system that works most of the time. however all the
help files, Help and support and more importantly systems information are
missing . i would appreciate some ideas please. i don't realy want to try
reinstalling again if it can be avoided because of the previous trouble.

More about : missing support reinstalling win

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:07:04 PM

Joan thanks for help there is only one entry 'windows update set up file',
IE SP1 is installed
the binaries folder contains the six files but HCUPDATE and HELPCTR are
application not exe
If i need to extract a dll file i think that i need to get onto the system
information page (which i can't) because the files are protected?
john
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:28:33 PM

KB 129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
KB 259687 - "Unable to Extract Files Using the System Configuration Utility"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=259687)
KB 267465 - "Unable to Extract Cabinet Files to Certain Locations"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267465)

If you post back with the particular .dll you need, someone can tell you in
which .cab file it is located.
You can do a "Text" search of the .cab files to find it yourself. Look in:
C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\Install
Heirloom, old and hungry...must seek
sustenance

"virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Joan thanks for help there is only one entry 'windows update set up
file',
> IE SP1 is installed
> the binaries folder contains the six files but HCUPDATE and HELPCTR are
> application not exe
> If i need to extract a dll file i think that i need to get onto the system
> information page (which i can't) because the files are protected?
> john
March 24, 2005 12:59:27 AM

> See http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/HSfails.htm
> If that doesn't help, post back.
Joan

virtual relic wrote:
> Two or three weeks ago my comp died, wouldn't reboot either normal or safe
> mode. ended up formating hard drive, after many atempts to reinstall with OEM
> recovery disk i have a system that works most of the time. however all the
> help files, Help and support and more importantly systems information are
> missing . i would appreciate some ideas please. i don't realy want to try
> reinstalling again if it can be avoided because of the previous trouble.
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:50:43 AM

Just re-read VR's problem in his original post and wonder if there *may* be
other possible issues here.

Could there be a 'failing' hard drive? - Not too sure if ALL OEM recovery
sets offer to run a scandisk before installing (an MS retail version
certainly does)

Assuming the OEM CD set and the CD-ROM are functioning OK, then bad HDD
could explain the original symptoms. (There again, a failing CD or CD-ROM
could also be causing some of these symptoms - installation difficulties)

If not already confirmed as OK, it might be worth running scandisk from
WinMe Startup (floppy) Disk and doing a surface scan on the C: drive, as a
first check just to be certain.

Just seems odd that 'original' setup wouldn't boot and then there was
difficulty in re-installing and now there a 'missing' files. Something more
underlying?

Mart

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> KB 129605 - "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=129605).
> KB 265371 - "How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=265371)
> KB 259687 - "Unable to Extract Files Using the System Configuration
> Utility"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=259687)
> KB 267465 - "Unable to Extract Cabinet Files to Certain Locations"
> (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=267465)
>
> If you post back with the particular .dll you need, someone can tell you
> in
> which .cab file it is located.
> You can do a "Text" search of the .cab files to find it yourself. Look
> in:
> C:\Windows\Options\Cabs\Install
> Heirloom, old and hungry...must seek
> sustenance
>

> "virtual relic" <virtualrelic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Joan thanks for help there is only one entry 'windows update set up
> file',
>> IE SP1 is installed
>> the binaries folder contains the six files but HCUPDATE and HELPCTR are
>> application not exe
>> If i need to extract a dll file i think that i need to get onto the
>> system
>> information page (which i can't) because the files are protected?
>> john

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 6:07:02 AM

Thanks for sugestions, the ME start up disk allowed scandisk with surface
scan and scanreg all of which i did. the recovery disk did the same during
install without the option of surface scan.
about the OEM cd it had only been handled once before abot 2 years ago
during a reinstall and as far as i can see is unscratched, is there any way
of seeing if all the data on the disk is readable?
again thanks for help john
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:42:53 PM

Thanks for that feedback VR. So at least you eliminated your HDD <g>

However, although your OEM cd *may* be OK, you *may* still have a failing
CD-ROM.

The only way that you reasonably 'test' you OEM cd and CD-ROM together is to
try navigating its folders and files using Window Explorer and seeing if W.E
has any problems recognising the Properties of a number of random files in
random folders on the CD.

However, if all seems OK, re-visit Noels site as mentioned in Joan's reply
and visit the KB articles suggested by heirloom.

Error reports and/or other symptoms might help narrow down any problems that
you are still experiencing. It's just that you 'appear' to be having a lot
of trouble.

Mart

> Thanks for sugestions, the ME start up disk allowed scandisk with surface
> scan and scanreg all of which i did. the recovery disk did the same during
> install without the option of surface scan.
> about the OEM cd it had only been handled once before abot 2 years ago
> during a reinstall and as far as i can see is unscratched, is there any
> way
> of seeing if all the data on the disk is readable?
> again thanks for help john

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:11:09 AM

I'm a little wary of this.......
It sounds to me as if there may be a problem with the RAM
Such errors are often caused by problems with the RAM - download DocMemory
from www.simmtester.com and create the boot disk. Use this to boot the PC,
and run the test overnight to check the RAM thoroughly.
See what it reports.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

!