boots fine 2 out of 3 times. boots to safe mode every thir..

hi there,

I have a client with an interesting problem.

I'm guessing its related to display drivers. hence video.

the pc boots normally 2 out of 3 times. the third time it boots to safe
mode.

I have asked them to check what messages come up prior to bringing it to me
to look at.

I suspect the display drivers may be playing up.

any ideas as to why it would be fine 2 out of 3 tries then every third one
goes to safe mode?

"senn" <trichoglesus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi there,
>
> I have a client with an interesting problem.
>
> I'm guessing its related to display drivers. hence video.
>
> the pc boots normally 2 out of 3 times. the third time it boots to safe
> mode.
>
> I have asked them to check what messages come up prior to bringing it to
> me
> to look at.
>
> I suspect the display drivers may be playing up.
>
> any ideas as to why it would be fine 2 out of 3 tries then every third one
> goes to safe mode?

Never heard of such a symptom. However, If I was a virus writer, I'd
probably aim for something like that. If you think it's related to video
though, have your client check device manager to see EXACTLY what video card
and monitor are recognized on each boot. (may not be the same as what is
actually INSTALLED, of course) -Dave

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "senn" <trichoglesus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > hi there,
> >
> > I have a client with an interesting problem.
> >
> > I'm guessing its related to display drivers. hence video.
> >
> > the pc boots normally 2 out of 3 times. the third time it boots to safe
> > mode.
> >
> > I have asked them to check what messages come up prior to bringing it to
> > me
> > to look at.
> >
> > I suspect the display drivers may be playing up.
> >
> > any ideas as to why it would be fine 2 out of 3 tries then every third
one
> > goes to safe mode?
> >

> Never heard of such a symptom. However, If I was a virus writer, I'd
> probably aim for something like that. If you think it's related to video
> though, have your client check device manager to see EXACTLY what video
card
> and monitor are recognized on each boot. (may not be the same as what is
> actually INSTALLED, of course) -Dave

dave, i'll do that myself when they bring in the pc as they know very little
about pc's. better to do myself than ask them to.

someone else said it may be a ram issue. so i'll check that too.

apparently the pc has done it ever since it was built so who knows otherwise
id suspect a birus too.

thanks for your answer. its a most puzzling case of a dodgy pc indeed.