Windows Update quit working.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 24, 2005 3:24:42 PM

My OS is Millennium Edition.

All of these problems started after I installed the two newest updates
(including that one that's causing so many problems for other people)
and then used System Restore to remove them after the K891711 update
caused BLACK SCREEENS OF DEATH on my computer.

Also, when I'm using Internet Explorer and I click on one of those "Read
more..." links by a listing of an update, that small window opens but
the info never appears and the little globe keeps spinning. This is the
way it works when I click on a javascript link on any page in IE now.

As for Windows Update not working, it does this:

"Download stops or freezes. The Windows Update - Web Page Dialog window
appears but download never starts"

I tried the following:
Please re-register the following files:
regsvr32 msscript.ocx
regsvr32 dispex.dll
regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 scrrun.dll

1. Click "Start," and then click "Run."
2. Type regsvr32 msscript.ocx in the "Open" box and click "OK."
3. Repeat for dispex.dll,vbscript.dll, and scrrun.dll.
Next, make sure file (open) type .JS is properly associated:
1. In Control Panel, click "Folder Options," and then click "File Types."
2. Locate the .JS extension and click "Advanced."
3. Make sure the "Application to perform action" field contains:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %* This is for a Windows XP
computer. For Windows 2000 substitute the C:\WINDOWS\ with C:\Winnt\.
For Windows 98 and Windows Millenium Edition substitute this:
C:\WINDOWS\System\ for C:\Windows\system32.

but it didn't fix anything. I even tried going back to IE 5.5 and then
reinstalling IE6 off of a CD I had, but it didn't fix the problem. I do
NOT want to install Windows automatic updating because I don't agree
with the EULA.

Any ideas here welcome.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous

Forgot to mention that msscript.ocx is missing from my system. I don't
know if that file belongs in ME or not, or where it is supposed to go
(which folder). I have a standard installation on the C drive, so can
anybody else do a search for that file and tell me where it belongs? TIA

John Corliss

--
Regards from John Corliss
March 25, 2005 12:28:55 AM

John Corliss <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in

> Forgot to mention that msscript.ocx is missing from my system. I don't
> know if that file belongs in ME or not, or where it is supposed to go
> (which folder). I have a standard installation on the C drive, so can
> anybody else do a search for that file and tell me where it belongs?
> TIA
>
> John Corliss

Its part of Visual Basic, not a part of Win ME.

DLL File: msscript or msscript.ocx
DLL Name: Microsoft Script Control

msscript.ocx is an ActiveX Control module that contains the ScriptControl
control used in Visual Basic 6.0 applications for adding the run-time
functionality of an ActiveX component to the control.

Part Of: Visual Basic
System DLL: No

--
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in

Doc wrote:
> John Corliss <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in
>

>>Forgot to mention that msscript.ocx is missing from my system. I don't
>>know if that file belongs in ME or not, or where it is supposed to go
>>(which folder). I have a standard installation on the C drive, so can
>>anybody else do a search for that file and tell me where it belongs?
>>TIA
>>
>>John Corliss
>>

> Its part of Visual Basic, not a part of Win ME.
>

> DLL File: msscript or msscript.ocx
> DLL Name: Microsoft Script Control

> msscript.ocx is an ActiveX Control module that contains the ScriptControl
> control used in Visual Basic 6.0 applications for adding the run-time
> functionality of an ActiveX component to the control.
>
> Part Of: Visual Basic
> System DLL: No

Thanks for replying Doc. Guess I won't worry about it then.

--
Regards from John Corliss
!