XP Hardware Driver install problems/issues

mystro

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Related to my install problem below..does anyone know where I can get
the 4G driver or what it's actual name is?
===
I have a new 40 gb ipod connected to an xp machine through a usb2.0 - I
plug the ipod in and the new hardware wizard comes up - found new
device apple ipod etc - then get message that hardware cannot be
installed - no driver can be found - the software that came with ipod
is installed but cannot see the ipod in ipod manager or as an
additional hard drive - on this machine the same thing happened when I
installed a second WD SATA HDD it's working but also needs drivers -
Device Manager it sees the Ipod but naturally it has an exclamation
mark and cannot find the drivers. Unfortunutly I don't have my xp-pro
cd with me..I'm 800 miles from home on a work project - any ideas?
Cannot find anything at driverguide.com that might help but I may not
be looking in the right place,I can live with the HDD problem since
it's working but I've got to get this iPod installed...HELP!

Abit ic-7
XP-pro
pc

Is it possible I have a XP issue that can only be solved repairing
XP..it sure is getting to look like that to me.

peter

In article <1104391865.321243.64050@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
high_purity@yahoo.com says...
> Related to my install problem below..does anyone know where I can get
> the 4G driver or what it's actual name is?
> ===
> I have a new 40 gb ipod connected to an xp machine through a usb2.0 - I
> plug the ipod in and the new hardware wizard comes up - found new
> device apple ipod etc - then get message that hardware cannot be
> installed - no driver can be found - the software that came with ipod
> is installed but cannot see the ipod in ipod manager or as an
> additional hard drive - on this machine the same thing happened when I
> installed a second WD SATA HDD it's working but also needs drivers -
> Device Manager it sees the Ipod but naturally it has an exclamation
> mark and cannot find the drivers. Unfortunutly I don't have my xp-pro
> cd with me..I'm 800 miles from home on a work project - any ideas?
> Cannot find anything at driverguide.com that might help but I may not
> be looking in the right place,I can live with the HDD problem since
> it's working but I've got to get this iPod installed...HELP!
>
> Abit ic-7
> XP-pro
> pc
>
> Is it possible I have a XP issue that can only be solved repairing
> XP..it sure is getting to look like that to me.

Certainly the iPod should be recognised by XP as a mass storage device
as far as I've read. Certainly my USB MP3 player is recognised this way
so something's not right with your setup. Have you updated XP to SP2 by
any chance?
--
Pete Ives

jaster

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 23:31:05 -0800, mystro wrote:

> Related to my install problem below..does anyone know where I can get the
> 4G driver or what it's actual name is? ===
> I have a new 40 gb ipod connected to an xp machine through a usb2.0 - I
> plug the ipod in and the new hardware wizard comes up - found new device
> apple ipod etc - then get message that hardware cannot be installed - no
> driver can be found - the software that came with ipod is installed but
> cannot see the ipod in ipod manager or as an additional hard drive - on
> this machine the same thing happened when I installed a second WD SATA HDD
> it's working but also needs drivers - Device Manager it sees the Ipod but
> naturally it has an exclamation mark and cannot find the drivers.
> Unfortunutly I don't have my xp-pro cd with me..I'm 800 miles from home on
> a work project - any ideas? Cannot find anything at driverguide.com that
> might help but I may not be looking in the right place,I can live with the
> HDD problem since it's working but I've got to get this iPod
> installed...HELP!
>
> Abit ic-7
> XP-pro
> pc
>
> Is it possible I have a XP issue that can only be solved repairing XP..it
> sure is getting to look like that to me.

Drivers stuff in XP is bad news. Try uninstalling the drivers, connect
the Ipod and reinstall the drivers "Have Disk" when XP tries to recognize
the hardware.