Registry entry that points to TCP/IP static tables

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

In Win2k/WinXP the Registry entry that points to the TCP/IP static tables is..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
DataBasePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

What is the Registry entry for Win9x/ME ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Not entirely sure, Dave, but it would appear to me that there is no such
    thing in Win9x. See here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139270

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > In Win2k/WinXP the Registry entry that points to the TCP/IP static
    tables is..

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    > DataBasePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    >
    > What is the Registry entry for Win9x/ME ?
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>

    | Not entirely sure, Dave, but it would appear to me that there is no such
    | thing in Win9x. See here:
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139270
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    Thanx for the reply Gary.

    I have searched but I haven't found the answer so I thought I would post the query.

    I know there are malware that will modify the NT platforms for the "DataBasePath" to block
    access to anti malware web sites are to force connections to malware sites. I am trying to
    cover all bases for win9x/ME as well in a script I am writing. A book I have on the Win98
    Registry did not shed any light.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    In my Win98SE, there is no "Tcpip" there. It does show up in 7 Registry
    locations, but none of them is that one.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | In Win2k/WinXP the Registry entry that points to the TCP/IP static
    tables is..

    | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
    | DataBasePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    |
    | What is the Registry entry for Win9x/ME ?
    |

    | --
    | Dave
    | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    | http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>

    | In my Win98SE, there is no "Tcpip" there. It does show up in 7 Registry
    | locations, but none of them is that one.
    |
    | --
    | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | should things get worse after this,
    | PCR
    | pcrrcp@netzero.net

    PCR:

    If you mean the Registry example I gave, Win9x/ME and NT based OS's diverge in the Registry
    settings due to NT services and other constructs being different from Win9x/ME and their VxD
    Win32 drivers.

    So the Registry is different for the families of Win2K/WinXP vs Win9x/ME for the protocols.
    However, in some ways WinNT4 is more similar to Win9x/ME than Win2K, WinXP and Win2003
    Server.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Yea, no, well, I thought YOU were asking what would be there for Win98!

    --
    | From: "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    |
    | | In my Win98SE, there is no "Tcpip" there. It does show up in 7
    Registry
    | | locations, but none of them is that one.
    | |
    | | --
    | | Thanks or Good Luck,
    | | There may be humor in this post, and,
    | | Naturally, you will not sue,
    | | should things get worse after this,
    | | PCR
    | | pcrrcp@netzero.net
    |
    | PCR:
    |
    | If you mean the Registry example I gave, Win9x/ME and NT based OS's
    diverge in the Registry
    | settings due to NT services and other constructs being different from
    Win9x/ME and their VxD
    | Win32 drivers.
    |
    | So the Registry is different for the families of Win2K/WinXP vs
    Win9x/ME for the protocols.
    | However, in some ways WinNT4 is more similar to Win9x/ME than Win2K,
    WinXP and Win2003
    | Server.
    |
    | --
    | Dave
    | http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    | http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    David, have you tried the Win98 Resource Kit?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us/default.mspx

    Mart

    > From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
    >
    > | Not entirely sure, Dave, but it would appear to me that there is no such
    > | thing in Win9x. See here:
    > |
    > | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139270
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    > | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    >
    > Thanx for the reply Gary.
    >
    > I have searched but I haven't found the answer so I thought I would post
    > the query.
    >
    > I know there are malware that will modify the NT platforms for the
    > "DataBasePath" to block
    > access to anti malware web sites are to force connections to malware
    > sites. I am trying to
    > cover all bases for win9x/ME as well in a script I am writing. A book I
    > have on the Win98
    > Registry did not shed any light.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>

    | David, have you tried the Win98 Resource Kit?
    | http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us/default.mspx
    |
    | Mart
    | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    No, I haven't. But knowing the Resource Kets I doubt it will be much helpful unless there is
    a book with the purchased version that has a spcific TCP/IP topic for the Registry settings.
    I have that in my NT4 Resource Kit.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    David, the two obvious candidates to know, now that Alex is no longer
    easily reachable, are MVP's Chris Quirke and Steve Winograd. They can be
    reached through their websites.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    > From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
    >
    > | David, have you tried the Win98 Resource Kit?

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us/default.mspx

    > | Mart
    > | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    >
    > No, I haven't. But knowing the Resource Kits, I doubt it will be much
    helpful unless there is
    > a book with the purchased version that has a spcific TCP/IP topic for the
    Registry settings.
    > I have that in my NT4 Resource Kit.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>

    | David, the two obvious candidates to know, now that Alex is no longer
    | easily reachable, are MVP's Chris Quirke and Steve Winograd. They can be
    | reached through their websites.
    | --
    | Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    | Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    | | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    Thanx Jack.

    I'll send Chris an email.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I think you'll find that Chris denies all knowledge of networking, Jack!
    (well, as much as he denies anything, anyhow<g>)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > David, the two obvious candidates to know, now that Alex is no longer
    > easily reachable, are MVP's Chris Quirke and Steve Winograd. They can be
    > reached through their websites.

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    >> From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
    >>
    >> | David, have you tried the Win98 Resource Kit?
    >> |
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us/default.mspx
    >> |
    >> | Mart
    >>
    >> No, I haven't. But knowing the Resource Kits, I doubt it will be much
    > helpful unless there is
    >> a book with the purchased version that has a spcific TCP/IP topic for the
    > Registry settings.
    >> I have that in my NT4 Resource Kit.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave
    >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

TCP/IP System32 Microsoft Registry Windows