Registry entry that points to TCP/IP static tables

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 25, 2005 3:09:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

In Win2k/WinXP the Registry entry that points to the TCP/IP static tables is..

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
DataBasePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

What is the Registry entry for Win9x/ME ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Not entirely sure, Dave, but it would appear to me that there is no such
thing in Win9x. See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139270

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> In Win2k/WinXP the Registry entry that points to the TCP/IP static
tables is..

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
> DataBasePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
>
> What is the Registry entry for Win9x/ME ?
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:38:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>

| Not entirely sure, Dave, but it would appear to me that there is no such
| thing in Win9x. See here:
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139270
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

Thanx for the reply Gary.

I have searched but I haven't found the answer so I thought I would post the query.

I know there are malware that will modify the NT platforms for the "DataBasePath" to block
access to anti malware web sites are to force connections to malware sites. I am trying to
cover all bases for win9x/ME as well in a script I am writing. A book I have on the Win98
Registry did not shed any light.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:55:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

In my Win98SE, there is no "Tcpip" there. It does show up in 7 Registry
locations, but none of them is that one.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| In Win2k/WinXP the Registry entry that points to the TCP/IP static
tables is..

| HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
| DataBasePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
|
| What is the Registry entry for Win9x/ME ?
|

| --
| Dave
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

From: "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>

| In my Win98SE, there is no "Tcpip" there. It does show up in 7 Registry
| locations, but none of them is that one.
|
| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net

PCR:

If you mean the Registry example I gave, Win9x/ME and NT based OS's diverge in the Registry
settings due to NT services and other constructs being different from Win9x/ME and their VxD
Win32 drivers.

So the Registry is different for the families of Win2K/WinXP vs Win9x/ME for the protocols.
However, in some ways WinNT4 is more similar to Win9x/ME than Win2K, WinXP and Win2003
Server.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:29:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yea, no, well, I thought YOU were asking what would be there for Win98!

--
news:o GFwo8XMFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| From: "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
|
| | In my Win98SE, there is no "Tcpip" there. It does show up in 7
Registry
| | locations, but none of them is that one.
| |
| | --
| | Thanks or Good Luck,
| | There may be humor in this post, and,
| | Naturally, you will not sue,
| | should things get worse after this,
| | PCR
| | pcrrcp@netzero.net
|
| PCR:
|
| If you mean the Registry example I gave, Win9x/ME and NT based OS's
diverge in the Registry
| settings due to NT services and other constructs being different from
Win9x/ME and their VxD
| Win32 drivers.
|
| So the Registry is different for the families of Win2K/WinXP vs
Win9x/ME for the protocols.
| However, in some ways WinNT4 is more similar to Win9x/ME than Win2K,
WinXP and Win2003
| Server.
|
| --
| Dave
| http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:58:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

David, have you tried the Win98 Resource Kit?

Mart

> From: "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
>
> | Not entirely sure, Dave, but it would appear to me that there is no such
> | thing in Win9x. See here:
> |
> | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=139270
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS MVP Shell/User
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> Thanx for the reply Gary.
>
> I have searched but I haven't found the answer so I thought I would post
> the query.
>
> I know there are malware that will modify the NT platforms for the
> "DataBasePath" to block
> access to anti malware web sites are to force connections to malware
> sites. I am trying to
> cover all bases for win9x/ME as well in a script I am writing. A book I
> have on the Win98
> Registry did not shed any light.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:58:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>

| David, have you tried the Win98 Resource Kit?
| http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
|
| Mart
| | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

No, I haven't. But knowing the Resource Kets I doubt it will be much helpful unless there is
a book with the purchased version that has a spcific TCP/IP topic for the Registry settings.
I have that in my NT4 Resource Kit.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 7:34:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

David, the two obvious candidates to know, now that Alex is no longer
easily reachable, are MVP's Chris Quirke and Steve Winograd. They can be
reached through their websites.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
>
> | David, have you tried the Win98 Resource Kit?

> | Mart
> | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> No, I haven't. But knowing the Resource Kits, I doubt it will be much
helpful unless there is
> a book with the purchased version that has a spcific TCP/IP topic for the
Registry settings.
> I have that in my NT4 Resource Kit.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 11:20:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

From: "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net>

| David, the two obvious candidates to know, now that Alex is no longer
| easily reachable, are MVP's Chris Quirke and Steve Winograd. They can be
| reached through their websites.
| --
| Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
| Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
| | http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

Thanx Jack.

I'll send Chris an email.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:39:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I think you'll find that Chris denies all knowledge of networking, Jack!
(well, as much as he denies anything, anyhow<g>)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

!