Product ID

I have the CD, I am willing to prove it to anyone, but
what do I do if I got my Windows ME set up at a computer
store that is no longer in business, and I do not have the
Product ID. I have searched the whole tower, inside and
out, the cd, the cd package. I do not have it. Is there
any way I can get my cd key back? As I said, if I have to
I'll prove I have the cd to anyone (with the exception of
actually sending them the disc because I wont go losing it
in the mail)

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

"Mike_302" <thunderstruck_302@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1ca501c53188
$4f3f02d0$a601280a@phx.gbl:

> I have the CD, I am willing to prove it to anyone, but
> what do I do if I got my Windows ME set up at a computer
> store that is no longer in business, and I do not have the
> Product ID. I have searched the whole tower, inside and
> out, the cd, the cd package. I do not have it. Is there
> any way I can get my cd key back? As I said, if I have to
> I'll prove I have the cd to anyone (with the exception of
> actually sending them the disc because I wont go losing it
> in the mail)

Assuming the computer is still running ....... download and run this
tiny program. It will show you the information you desire.

http://mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/Files/RegInfo.zip

/Quote/
Do you need to find information about your computer?
Download and run RegInfo on your System. It reports the following Items:

The Operating System and Version Number.
The type of processor (CPU) being used.
Make and Model of motherboard if available.
The Windows Product Key.
The Windows Product ID.
The Windows Installation Path.
If Windows has been properly registered with Microsoft.
The Registered Owner.
The Registered Organization.
The Computer Name on your network

The Registered Owner, Registered Organization, Installation File Path and
Computer Name can be changed on your system using a simple input box.
This comes in handy when you sell or purchase a used computer with the
Operating System already installed and all you want to do is change your
personal information. It also quickly recovers the Windows Product Key
when required to re-install Windows and all of the information can be
saved to the Windows Clipboard for pasting into other documents such as a
log file or a newsgroup post. No learning curve. Just run the file and
click the obvious buttons.
Works with Windows 95/98/ME. Watch for an upcoming new version that will
also work on Windows XP and 2000.
Freeware
/end quote/

--
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Doc <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in

> "Mike_302" <thunderstruck_302@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1ca501c53188
> $4f3f02d0$a601280a@phx.gbl:
>
>> I have the CD, I am willing to prove it to anyone, but
>> what do I do if I got my Windows ME set up at a computer
>> store that is no longer in business, and I do not have the
>> Product ID. I have searched the whole tower, inside and
>> out, the cd, the cd package. I do not have it. Is there
>> any way I can get my cd key back? As I said, if I have to
>> I'll prove I have the cd to anyone (with the exception of
>> actually sending them the disc because I wont go losing it
>> in the mail)
>>

> Assuming the computer is still running .......

Or check this registry key

LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion ProductId

--
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming
"WOW, WHAT A RIDE"

Doc, I recently installed WinMe on my computer and since doing so I can no
longer create a new newsgroup message, I can only respond to other pre
existing threads, (Hence that is why I am responding to this message). If I
click on "create mail" the regular email interface opens up. If I try to
address the email to a newsgroup I get the message "no matches found for [x
newsgroup]". Can you please help me?

Sincerley,
Rich Lamanna

Doc, Mike anyone?

Sincerely,
Rich Lamanna

If you are working from within e.g. Microsoft News Server, to access these
newsgroups using Outlook Express, then you should be seeing "New Post"
rather than "Create Mail"

Are you sure that you've setup your News Account correctly in the Tools \
Accounts menu option?

Mart

"Rich Lamanna" <richard.lamanna@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Doc, I recently installed WinMe on my computer and since doing so I can no
> longer create a new newsgroup message, I can only respond to other pre
> existing threads, (Hence that is why I am responding to this message). If
> click on "create mail" the regular email interface opens up. If I try to
> address the email to a newsgroup I get the message "no matches found for
> [x
> newsgroup]". Can you please help me?
>
> Sincerley,
> Rich Lamanna

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

"Rich Lamanna" <richard.lamanna@verizon.net> wrote in

> Doc, I recently installed WinMe on my computer and since doing so I
> can no longer create a new newsgroup message, I can only respond to
> other pre existing threads, (Hence that is why I am responding to this
> message). If I click on "create mail" the regular email interface
> opens up. If I try to address the email to a newsgroup I get the
> message "no matches found for [x newsgroup]". Can you please help me?
>
> Sincerley,
> Rich Lamanna

I cannot help with that, I do NOT use OE as a newsgroup reader. I use
(and thoroughly recommend) XNews.

--
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming
"WOW, WHAT A RIDE"

BTW - The MS News Server is :- news.microsoft.com

Mart

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> If you are working from within e.g. Microsoft News Server, to access these
> newsgroups using Outlook Express, then you should be seeing "New Post"
> rather than "Create Mail"
>
> Are you sure that you've setup your News Account correctly in the Tools \
> Accounts menu option?
>
> Mart
>

> "Rich Lamanna" <richard.lamanna@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Doc, I recently installed WinMe on my computer and since doing so I can
>> no
>> longer create a new newsgroup message, I can only respond to other pre
>> existing threads, (Hence that is why I am responding to this message). If
>> click on "create mail" the regular email interface opens up. If I try to
>> address the email to a newsgroup I get the message "no matches found for
>> [x
>> newsgroup]". Can you please help me?
>>
>> Sincerley,
>> Rich Lamanna

Either add the Write Message icon to OE's task bar or use Message | New
Message when viewing a newsgroup.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rich Lamanna <richard.lamanna@verizon.net> wrote:

> Doc, I recently installed WinMe on my computer and since doing so I
> can no longer create a new newsgroup message, I can only respond to
> other pre existing threads, (Hence that is why I am responding to
> this message). If I click on "create mail" the regular email
> interface opens up. If I try to address the email to a newsgroup I
> get the message "no matches found for [x newsgroup]". Can you please
> help me?

Maybe I'll look into XNews. Thanks just the same, Doc.

Rich

In article <Q421e.24179$qN3.16933@trndny01>, Rich Lamanna says...

> Maybe I'll look into XNews. Thanks just the same, Doc.

XNews was problematic on my Windows ME computer. I use Super Gravity.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Mart, I definitely do not see New Post in Outlook. I haven't tried to set up
the account as it was never a problem before. I am going to look at the
accounts menu.

Thanks,
Rich

In article <1821e.37943$FB6.35415@trndny09>, Rich Lamanna says...

> Mart, I definitely do not see New Post in Outlook.

You shouldn't see anything about newsgroup posts in Outlook. MS Outlook does
not interact with NNTP servers, it calls up MS Outlook Express to do the
NNTP work. Outlook != Outlook Express; nor is it an abbreviated name for
Outlook Express.

> I haven't tried to set up the account as it was never a problem before.
> I am going to look at the accounts menu.

Look at the File menu. Under New should be four items:

Mail Message
News Message
-------------------------
Folder... Ctrl+Shift+E
-------------------------
Contacts...

Or look on your tool bar while you are in the news group message list. There
should be five menu lists, followed by a group of four buttons. The first
button should have the appearance of a piece of paper with a push pin in the
upper right corner. If you did not disable the button labels, as I have
done, the label should be, "New Post". A context pop up will identify it as
"Write Message". If there are no buttons, maybe you need to right click in
the tool bar area and add buttons.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Thanks Mike, somehow the New Post icon got removed from my task bar. I was
able to add it back.

Sincerely,
Rich Lamanna