Asus motherboard turbo switch in BIOS

Last night I thought I'd try out the "turbo" switch in the BIOS of
my Asus K8V-X. In their User's Guide, the Asus people say,
"Setting to [TurboX] may cause the system to become unstable."
Sure enough, when I tested it out with a PC game, the game crashed
and exited after around ten seconds. I tried it a second time, and
the computer crashed to a blue screen. So I set it back to [Auto].

Does anybody know what the Turbo setting does? What changes does
it make? There's nothing to say in the User's Guide.

Al Smith <invalid@address.com> wrote:

>Last night I thought I'd try out the "turbo" switch in the BIOS of
>my Asus K8V-X. In their User's Guide, the Asus people say,
>"Setting to [TurboX] may cause the system to become unstable."
>Sure enough, when I tested it out with a PC game, the game crashed
>and exited after around ten seconds. I tried it a second time, and
>the computer crashed to a blue screen. So I set it back to [Auto].
>
>Does anybody know what the Turbo setting does?

It crashes your game.
[teasing]

>What changes does it make? There's nothing to say in the User's
Guide.

There's probably no concrete/official definition apart from what the
manufacturer preset it to do. Maybe it has something to do with CPU,
front side bus, or memory timing. Others might know better.

Have fun.

>>Does anybody know what the Turbo setting does?
>

> It crashes your game.
> [teasing]

Ha! Yeah, for me. I was looking for a more general explanation.

typically the memory timings are very aggressive