Free: Dazzle DVC II video capture PCI card for parts

Anyone interested in a DVC II for parts? I've had it for a few years and when it worked, it did a decent job of capturing. But after six months, it only worked about half the time. The software would give the error "A device attached to the system is not functioning". The only way to fix it was to restart the computer, often more than once.

I had thought it was a problem with IRQ sharing, but found out that it was a socketed chip on the board. Removing and reseating it was the only fix. My way around it was to just leave the machine on, but that's not a perfect solution on a Windows machine. Even with 2000.

Eventually, I decided to try epoxying the chip in. I figured I had nothing to lose, because I was tried of pulling the card out and I knew that the chip or the socket would be damaged eventually. It worked, for a while, but then the same error started again.

So the short of it is that I tried some other options and found one that I liked (ADS DVD Express). So now the DVC II is just talking up space. I'm the type that hates throwing hardware out, if there's even the chance that there's use for it. Perhaps someone's willing to try fixing the chip somehow (probably a custom job, no markings on it - if you damage it, you're likely out of luck). I suppose I could give it a shot, but I just don't want to deal with it anymore. Or maybe they just want the breakout box or the software (not sure where the manual is). There's a quite a bit of info out there on the Web, including on the old Dazzle forums. There's even a nice donateware capture program, much better than the one that came with the card. These are sites that deal with the card:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/menusupport_n.asp?Product_ID=1470
http://www.dazzlegeek.com/
http://www.ttool.de/download2.htm
http://www.spawns.dk/svcd/
http://home.socal.rr.com/tateu/

Anyway, if someone's interested, I'll be happy to send it to anyone in the continental US. No charge, because I wouldn't feel right taking money for something that doesn't work.

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:06:06 -0500, "mdsock" <sockmd@cox.net> wrote:

>Anyone interested in a DVC II for parts? I've had it for a few years and when it worked, it did a decent job of capturing. But after six months, it only worked about half the time. The software would give the error "A device attached to the system is not functioning". The only way to fix it was to restart the computer, often more than once.
>
>I had thought it was a problem with IRQ sharing, but found out that it was a socketed chip on the board. Removing and reseating it was the only fix. My way around it was to just leave the machine on, but that's not a perfect solution on a Windows machine. Even with 2000.
>
>Eventually, I decided to try epoxying the chip in. I figured I had nothing to lose, because I was tried of pulling the card out and I knew that the chip or the socket would be damaged eventually. It worked, for a while, but then the same error started again.
>
>So the short of it is that I tried some other options and found one that I liked (ADS DVD Express). So now the DVC II is just talking up space. I'm the type that hates throwing hardware out, if there's even the chance that there's use for it. Perhaps someone's willing to try fixing the chip somehow (probably a custom job, no markings on it - if you damage it, you're likely out of luck). I suppose I could give it a shot, but I just don't want to deal with it anymore. Or maybe they just want the breakout box or the software (not sure where the manual is). There's a quite a bit of info out there on the Web, including on the old Dazzle forums. There's even a nice donateware capture program, much better than the one that came with the card. These are sites that deal with the card:
>
>http://www.pinnaclesys.com/menusupport_n.asp?Product_ID=1470
>http://www.dazzlegeek.com/
>http://www.ttool.de/download2.htm
>http://www.spawns.dk/svcd/
>http://home.socal.rr.com/tateu/
>
>Anyway, if someone's interested, I'll be happy to send it to anyone in the continental US. No charge, because I wouldn't feel right taking money for something that doesn't work.

>------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
>-= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
I'm always tinkering with this and that in electronics and it would
make a decent addition to one of my video editors.
I'd be happy to pick up the postage as well.
Just drop me an e-mail and we'll work out the details.