MS05-002 on 9x and ME

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 2:06:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to confirm
these reports and are currently working on a resolution.

Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will return
to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware of
customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in MS05-002 on
Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need additional assistance
regarding this update, please contact +1 (866) PCSAFETY. When calling,
please indicate that you are having issues with a security update.
--
Regards,

Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
Microsoft IT Communities

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

More about : ms05 002

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 5:42:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hallelujah! Thank you, Jerry.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Safer Browsing and Security Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/s...

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/deviou...

Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
> Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to confirm
> these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>
> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
> return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
> of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
> MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
> additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
> PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues with a
> security update.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 10:05:27 AM

Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
> Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to confirm
> these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>
> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will return
> to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware of
> customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in MS05-002 on
> Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need additional assistance
> regarding this update, please contact +1 (866) PCSAFETY. When calling,
> please indicate that you are having issues with a security update.

Yep, it got me. Either KB891711 or KB888113 was causing a *black* screen
of death every time I clicked on a link in IE or any other browser.
After I used System Restore to remove those updates, the blackouts
stopped happening.

I'm using Millennium Edition.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Related resources

John Corliss wrote:

> Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
>
>> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
>> 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
>> confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>>
>> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
>> return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not
>> aware of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed
>> in MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
>> additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
>> PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues
>> with a security update.
>

> Yep, it got me. Either KB891711 or KB888113 was causing a *black* screen
> of death every time I clicked on a link in IE or any other browser.
> After I used System Restore to remove those updates, the blackouts
> stopped happening.
>
> I'm using Millennium Edition.

Sorry, I meant to say that it MIGHT have gotten me. I never tried
reinstalling just KB888113 to see if the problem returned.

By the way, on the off chance that it might be an issue with my graphics
setup, here is what I have:

P4 1.9 ghz with 256 mb of RDRAM. As for the graphics card, it's a
Leadtek WinFast(R) A280LE with an nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 chip running
in an AGP8X slot. Driver is from nVIDIA, is dated 07/03/2002 and the
version is 4.13.01.3100.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Just to make sure that the KB number goes into the header - thanks for the
post, Jerry

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
> Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to confirm
> these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>
> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
> return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
> of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
> MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
> additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
> PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues with a
> security update.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> Microsoft IT Communities

> rights.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 11:58:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Jerry Bryant,

I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.

Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in high
hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a big problem
for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but embarrassing for MS to
leave this bug the way it is. We even have people making webpages talking
about and trying to help people get around the problem.
Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the problem
I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in the 9x group
for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix what the problem is,
please, thank you.

http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

Rick

Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
> Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to confirm
> these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>
> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
> return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware of
> customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in MS05-002 on
> Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need additional
> assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866) PCSAFETY. When
> calling, please indicate that you are having issues with a security update.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> Microsoft IT Communities

a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 3:50:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I'd just like to add my support to Rick's request, without making any other comments, since the issue has already been discussed in these newsgroups extensively, and the seriousness of the problems is well established.

Ivan

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message news:uE1qCxgMFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Jerry Bryant,
>
> I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.
>
> Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in high
> hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a big problem
> for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but embarrassing for MS to
> leave this bug the way it is. We even have people making webpages talking
> about and trying to help people get around the problem.
> Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the problem
> I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in the 9x group
> for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix what the problem is,
> please, thank you.
>
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>
> Rick
>

> Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
> > Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
> > Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to confirm
> > these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
> >
> > Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
> > return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware of
> > customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in MS05-002 on
> > Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need additional
> > assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866) PCSAFETY. When
> > calling, please indicate that you are having issues with a security update.
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> > Microsoft IT Communities
> >
> > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 4:26:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

X-Posting to Win95 and WinME NGs eliminated.

Rick, I don't think MS05-002/KB891711 has anything to do with the issue
about which you post. (As you know, my position is that IE6 with SP1
installed has fixed your issue for the vast majority of Win98 users.)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> Jerry Bryant,
>
> I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.
>
> Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in high
> hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a big problem
> for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but embarrassing for MS to
> leave this bug the way it is. We even have people making webpages talking
> about and trying to help people get around the problem.
> Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the problem
> I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in the 9x group
> for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix what the problem
> is, please, thank you.
>
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>
> Rick
>

> Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
> > Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
> > Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
> > confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
> >
> > Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
> > return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not
> > aware of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed
> > in MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
> > additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
> > PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues with
> > a security update. --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> > Microsoft IT Communities
> >
> > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

> > rights.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 6:45:54 PM

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> Jerry Bryant,
>
> I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.
>
> Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in high
> hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a big problem
> for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but embarrassing for MS to
> leave this bug the way it is. We even have people making webpages talking
> about and trying to help people get around the problem.
> Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the problem
> I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in the 9x group
> for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix what the problem is,
> please, thank you.
>
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

Haw, so I wasn't hallucinating ... happens in '98 too eh?... IIRC also
IE6 just bogs right down sometimes as well for no discernible reason.

Told'ya

Rick T
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 7:16:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

John
could you please download and run Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.hu) and
send me a full report? my email addy is valid.

--

"John Corliss" <jcorliss@fake.invalid> wrote in message
> John Corliss wrote:
>
>> Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
>>
>>> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
>>> Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
>>> confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>>>
>>> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
>>> return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
>>> of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
>>> MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
>>> additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
>>> PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues with
>>> a security update.
>>

>> Yep, it got me. Either KB891711 or KB888113 was causing a *black* screen
>> of death every time I clicked on a link in IE or any other browser. After
>> I used System Restore to remove those updates, the blackouts stopped
>> happening.
>>
>> I'm using Millennium Edition.
>
> Sorry, I meant to say that it MIGHT have gotten me. I never tried
> reinstalling just KB888113 to see if the problem returned.
>
> By the way, on the off chance that it might be an issue with my graphics
> setup, here is what I have:
>
> P4 1.9 ghz with 256 mb of RDRAM. As for the graphics card, it's a Leadtek
> WinFast(R) A280LE with an nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 chip running in an AGP8X
> slot. Driver is from nVIDIA, is dated 07/03/2002 and the version is
> 4.13.01.3100.
>

> --
> Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 7:23:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks, Chauvin. Me 'n Colorado will be your seconds, if it comes to a
duel!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
| Jerry Bryant,
|
| I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.
|
| Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in
high
| hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a big
problem
| for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but embarrassing for MS
| leave this bug the way it is. We even have people making webpages
talking
| about and trying to help people get around the problem.
| Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the
problem
| I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in the 9x
group
| for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix what the
problem is,
| please, thank you.
|
| http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
|
| Rick
|

| Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
| > Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98,
| > Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
confirm
| > these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
| >
| > Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine
will
| > return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not
aware of
| > customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
MS05-002 on
| > Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need additional
| > assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866) PCSAFETY.
When
| > calling, please indicate that you are having issues with a security
update.
| > --
| > Regards,
| >
| > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
| > Microsoft IT Communities

rights.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 7:28:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Wonderful! Never mind what I said to Chauvin, then. It's just him &
Colorado, really. By the way, Colorado won't take any of your criticals,
either!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98,
| Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
confirm
| these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
|
| Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
return
| to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware of
| customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
MS05-002 on
| Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need additional
assistance
| regarding this update, please contact +1 (866) PCSAFETY. When calling,
| please indicate that you are having issues with a security update.
| --
| Regards,
|
| Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
| Microsoft IT Communities

rights.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 8:00:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

PA Bear wrote:
> X-Posting to Win95 and WinME NGs eliminated.
>
> Rick, I don't think MS05-002/KB891711 has anything to do with the issue
> about which you post.

Hi Robert,
You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link I
gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm

As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue that is
of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is about.
I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.

> (As you know, my position is that IE6 with SP1 installed has
> fixed your issue for the vast majority of Win98 users.)

Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but surely
you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist for
W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't. I
guess you don't know me.

The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today even
your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard with this
issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:

Rick

> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...
>
> Rick Chauvin wrote:
>> Jerry Bryant,
>>
>> I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.
>>
>> Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in high
>> hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a big problem
>> for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but embarrassing for MS to
>> leave this bug the way it is. We even have people making webpages talking
>> about and trying to help people get around the problem.
>> Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the problem
>> I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in the 9x group
>> for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix what the problem
>> is, please, thank you.
>>
>> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>>
>> Rick
>>

>> Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
>> > Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
>> > Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
>> > confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>> >
>> > Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
>> > return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not
>> > aware of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed
>> > in MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
>> > additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
>> > PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues with
>> > a security update. --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
>> > Microsoft IT Communities
>> >
>> > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

>> > rights.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 8:00:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

FWIW, I seriously doubt that Jerry B. is going to read any replies to
his post. It was a notice, nothing more. They've been able to repro the
issue, which usually means that further user input is probably not
needed. We just have to wait to see what they work out.

However, I *did* drop your entire post into the same hopper I used for
the KB891711 issue (the track that finally got some action, or at least
some public acknowledgement of the problem.) We'll have to wait to see
what, if anything, comes of it.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> PA Bear wrote:
> > X-Posting to Win95 and WinME NGs eliminated.
> >
> > Rick, I don't think MS05-002/KB891711 has anything to do with the
issue
> > about which you post.
>
> Hi Robert,
> You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
> Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link
> gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>
> As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
> MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue
that is
> of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is
about.
> I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.
>
> > (As you know, my position is that IE6 with SP1 installed has
> > fixed your issue for the vast majority of Win98 users.)
>
> Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but
surely
> you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
> confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
> thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was
never
> fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does
exist for
> W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't.
> guess you don't know me.
>
> The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today
even
> your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard with
this
> issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:
>
> Rick

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 8:20:40 PM

In article <#iCdhYhMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, John Corliss says...

> Sorry, I meant to say that it MIGHT have gotten me. I never tried
> reinstalling just KB888113 to see if the problem returned.

Give it a shot. I only installed that on my second computer after having to
remove KB891711 from my first computer. Currently, both computers are
running KB888113 without issue. Oddly, the second computer runs KB891711
without issue; only the first is choking on it.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

....understood, but I just had to try.

thanks Gary,

Rick

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> FWIW, I seriously doubt that Jerry B. is going to read any replies to
> his post. It was a notice, nothing more. They've been able to repro the
> issue, which usually means that further user input is probably not
> needed. We just have to wait to see what they work out.
>
> However, I *did* drop your entire post into the same hopper I used for
> the KB891711 issue (the track that finally got some action, or at least
> some public acknowledgement of the problem.) We'll have to wait to see
> what, if anything, comes of it.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> PA Bear wrote:
>> > X-Posting to Win95 and WinME NGs eliminated.
>> >
>> > Rick, I don't think MS05-002/KB891711 has anything to do with the issue
>> > about which you post.
>>
>> Hi Robert,
>> You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
>> Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link I
>> gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>>
>> As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
>> MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue that
>> is of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is about.
>> I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.
>>
>> > (As you know, my position is that IE6 with SP1 installed has
>> > fixed your issue for the vast majority of Win98 users.)
>>
>> Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but surely
>> you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
>> confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
>> thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
>> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
>> fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
>> for W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't.
>> I guess you don't know me.
>>
>> The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today
>> even your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard
>> with this issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:
>>
>> Rick
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 26, 2005 8:24:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

And you keep right on doing exactly what you are doing.

We'll keep an eye on it. Rolling back to IE 5.5 is not an acceptable
resolution in my book.

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> ...understood, but I just had to try.
>
> thanks Gary,
>
> Rick
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
>>FWIW, I seriously doubt that Jerry B. is going to read any replies to
>>his post. It was a notice, nothing more. They've been able to repro the
>>issue, which usually means that further user input is probably not
>>needed. We just have to wait to see what they work out.
>>
>>However, I *did* drop your entire post into the same hopper I used for
>>the KB891711 issue (the track that finally got some action, or at least
>>some public acknowledgement of the problem.) We'll have to wait to see
>>what, if anything, comes of it.
>>
>>--
>>Gary S. Terhune
>>MS MVP Shell/User
>>http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>>"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

>>>Hi Robert,
>>>You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
>>>Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link I
>>>gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>>>
>>>As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
>>>MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue that
>>>is of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is about.
>>>I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.

>>>Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but surely
>>>you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
>>>confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
>>>thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
>>>http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
>>>fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
>>>for W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't.
>>>I guess you don't know me.
>>>
>>>The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today
>>>even your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard
>>>with this issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:
>>>
>>>Rick

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 12:32:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Rick?

Why not upgrade to IE6 sp1?

http://snipurl.com/4bgz

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> ...understood, but I just had to try.
>
> thanks Gary,
>
> Rick
>
> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
>>FWIW, I seriously doubt that Jerry B. is going to read any replies to
>>his post. It was a notice, nothing more. They've been able to repro the
>>issue, which usually means that further user input is probably not
>>needed. We just have to wait to see what they work out.
>>
>>However, I *did* drop your entire post into the same hopper I used for
>>the KB891711 issue (the track that finally got some action, or at least
>>some public acknowledgement of the problem.) We'll have to wait to see
>>what, if anything, comes of it.
>>
>>--
>>Gary S. Terhune
>>MS MVP Shell/User
>>http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>
>>"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

>>>Hi Robert,
>>>You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
>>>Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link I
>>>gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>>>
>>>As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
>>>MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue that
>>>is of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is about.
>>>I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.

>>>Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but surely
>>>you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
>>>confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
>>>thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
>>>http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
>>>fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
>>>for W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't.
>>>I guess you don't know me.
>>>
>>>The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today
>>>even your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard
>>>with this issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:
>>>
>>>Rick

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 1:44:29 AM

X-Posting to WinME and Security NGs eliminated. F/U set to Win98 General.

Who's Robert?

I continue to disagree with you and ChrisQ about the problem. While it may
be machine-related, I don't believe it's related to any particular Windows
Update or IE6 SP1. If it were, we'd see many more Win98 users with the
problem.

> ...The issue that the link
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
> fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
> for W98x.

Have all of those suffering from this problem installed IE6 SP1 and further,
post-SP1 updates? They have been /the/ fix for the vast majority of Win98
users.
--
~PA Bear

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> PA Bear wrote:
> > X-Posting to Win95 and WinME NGs eliminated.
> >
> > Rick, I don't think MS05-002/KB891711 has anything to do with the issue
> > about which you post.
>
> Hi Robert,
> You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
> Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link I
> gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>
> As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
> MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue that
> is of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is about.
> I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.
>
> > (As you know, my position is that IE6 with SP1 installed has
> > fixed your issue for the vast majority of Win98 users.)
>
> Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but surely
> you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
> confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
> thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
> fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
> for W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't.
> I guess you don't know me.
>
> The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today
> even your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard
> with this issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:
>
> Rick
>

> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> >
> > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...
> >
> > Rick Chauvin wrote:
> > > Jerry Bryant,
> > >
> > > I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.
> > >
> > > Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in
> > > high hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a
> > > big problem for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but
> > > embarrassing for MS to leave this bug the way it is. We even have
> > > people making webpages talking about and trying to help people get
> > > around the problem.
> > > Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the
> > > problem I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in
> > > the 9x group for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix
> > > what the problem is, please, thank you.
> > >
> > > http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
> > >
> > > Rick

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 3:36:07 AM

This is what I have been wondering about, as all the machines I support (including
my own) with Win98SE have IE6 SP1 installed, and I have *never* seen this
problem......and I quite often perform the procedures mentioned as being the cause.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> X-Posting to WinME and Security NGs eliminated. F/U set to Win98 General.
>
> Who's Robert?
>
> I continue to disagree with you and ChrisQ about the problem. While it may
> be machine-related, I don't believe it's related to any particular Windows
> Update or IE6 SP1. If it were, we'd see many more Win98 users with the
> problem.
>
> > ...The issue that the link
> > http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
> > fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
> > for W98x.
>
> Have all of those suffering from this problem installed IE6 SP1 and further,
> post-SP1 updates? They have been /the/ fix for the vast majority of Win98
> users.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Rick Chauvin wrote:
> > PA Bear wrote:
> > > X-Posting to Win95 and WinME NGs eliminated.
> > >
> > > Rick, I don't think MS05-002/KB891711 has anything to do with the issue
> > > about which you post.
> >
> > Hi Robert,
> > You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
> > Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link I
> > gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
> >
> > As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
> > MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue that
> > is of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is about.
> > I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.
> >
> > > (As you know, my position is that IE6 with SP1 installed has
> > > fixed your issue for the vast majority of Win98 users.)
> >
> > Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but surely
> > you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
> > confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
> > thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
> > http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
> > fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
> > for W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't.
> > I guess you don't know me.
> >
> > The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today
> > even your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard
> > with this issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> > >
> > > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 4:10:58 AM

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> And you keep right on doing exactly what you are doing.
>
> We'll keep an eye on it. Rolling back to IE 5.5 is not an acceptable
> resolution in my book.

No arguments there, but it's the only one that works. Having Explorer
hang and crash is also not an option.

Rick T

> Rick Chauvin wrote:
>
>> ...understood, but I just had to try.
>>
>> thanks Gary,
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, I seriously doubt that Jerry B. is going to read any replies to
>>> his post. It was a notice, nothing more. They've been able to repro the
>>> issue, which usually means that further user input is probably not
>>> needed. We just have to wait to see what they work out.
>>>
>>> However, I *did* drop your entire post into the same hopper I used for
>>> the KB891711 issue (the track that finally got some action, or at least
>>> some public acknowledgement of the problem.) We'll have to wait to see
>>> what, if anything, comes of it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gary S. Terhune
>>> MS MVP Shell/User
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>>> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>>>
>>> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 4:10:59 AM

Rick T wrote:
> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
>
>> And you keep right on doing exactly what you are doing.
>>
>> We'll keep an eye on it. Rolling back to IE 5.5 is not an acceptable
>> resolution in my book.
>

> No arguments there, but it's the only one that works. Having Explorer
> hang and crash is also not an option.
>
> Rick T
>

>> Rick Chauvin wrote:
>>
>>> ...understood, but I just had to try.
>>>
>>> thanks Gary,
>>>
>>> Rick

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 5:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

As I recall, that doesn't work.

Rick T

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> Why not upgrade to IE6 sp1?
>
> http://snipurl.com/4bgz
>
> Rick T wrote:
>
>> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
>>
>>> And you keep right on doing exactly what you are doing.
>>>
>>> We'll keep an eye on it. Rolling back to IE 5.5 is not an acceptable
>>> resolution in my book.
>>

>> No arguments there, but it's the only one that works. Having Explorer
>> hang and crash is also not an option.
>>
>> Rick T

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 5:08:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Upgrading to IE 6 SP1 (or IE 6 by itself) is what resulted in that file copy
and delete problem in the first place, for Win98 users! That's what
Frank's DLL swapping solution resolves. (
http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm )

I can bear testimony to that, cause that's where I'm at now. The only
other alternative was to rollback to IE 5.5 SP2 - or just live with the
problem, which I'm not willing to do.

Rick T wrote:
> As I recall, that doesn't work.
>
> Rick T
>
> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
>> Why not upgrade to IE6 sp1?
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/4bgz
>>
>> Rick T wrote:

>>> No arguments there, but it's the only one that works. Having Explorer
>>> hang and crash is also not an option.
>>>
>>> Rick T

MCSE,

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 5:51:38 AM

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%236v6mbnMFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> X-Posting to WinME and Security NGs eliminated. F/U set to Win98 General.

OK, except nobody has yet convinced me that the issue doesn't exist on Windows Me systems too!

> Who's Robert?
>
> I continue to disagree with you and ChrisQ about the problem. While it may
> be machine-related, I don't believe it's related to any particular Windows
> Update or IE6 SP1. If it were, we'd see many more Win98 users with the
> problem.
>
> > ...The issue that the link
> > http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
> > fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
> > for W98x.
>
> Have all of those suffering from this problem installed IE6 SP1 and further,
> post-SP1 updates? They have been /the/ fix for the vast majority of Win98
> users.

I've seen the problem on all the 4 Windows 98 machines with IE 6 SP1 I've dealt with. I don't actually recall whether the problem existed with IE 6 gold, but I assume it did. Clearly the issue is related to IE 6, since the IE 5.5 "solution" does eliminate this problem (probably with some other caveats).

> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Rick Chauvin wrote:
> > PA Bear wrote:
> > > X-Posting to Win95 and WinME NGs eliminated.
> > >
> > > Rick, I don't think MS05-002/KB891711 has anything to do with the issue
> > > about which you post.
> >
> > Hi Robert,
> > You have totally misunderstood my post. I'm sorry you did.
> > Of course we all knowMS05-002/KB891711 has nothing to do with the link I
> > gave. http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
> >
> > As I said I took this extra opportunity to tag onto Jerry Bryant MCSE,
> > MCDBA post to express to the MS coders about another important issue that
> > is of great importance for 9x to get fixed - besides what the OP is about.
> > I apologize for tagging onto it, but felt it was important enough.
> >
> > > (As you know, my position is that IE6 with SP1 installed has
> > > fixed your issue for the vast majority of Win98 users.)
> >
> > Again here too Robert I have no idea what you are referring to, but surely
> > you are mistaken here of what we are talking about which has been well
> > confirmed in this 9x newsgroup a hundred times over the last 2 years;
> > thousands of times elsewhere. The issue that the link
> > http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm speaks about was never
> > fixed and I can guarantee it's 100% immutable that the problem does exist
> > for W98x. I would of not stuck my neck out to make my post if it wasn't.
> > I guess you don't know me.
> >
> > The problem is old news but for heavens sake Robert earlier just today
> > even your own Extremely capable MVP Chris Quirke (cquirke) is onboard
> > with this issue and actually uses 9x to know. Listen up:
> >
> > Rick
> >

> > > --
> > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > > MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
> > >
> > > Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 10:29:39 AM

Noel Paton wrote:

> John
> could you please download and run Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.hu) and
> send me a full report? my email addy is valid.

Hmm..... I use Aida, Everest's precursor. But a "full" report? That's
giving you a whole lot of info, some of it stuff that I may not want
anybody else to have. Heck, I don't even understand some of it and don't
know whether or not I should provide it to others. And that's 84 pages
of stuff to sift through in order to edit that info out...

Sorry Noel, it's nice of you to offer to help and I mean no offense, but
frankly I'd rather not do this.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Norman
Could you please run Everest on both PC's and send me the reports?

TIA

--

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <#iCdhYhMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, John Corliss says...
>
>> Sorry, I meant to say that it MIGHT have gotten me. I never tried
>> reinstalling just KB888113 to see if the problem returned.
>
> Give it a shot. I only installed that on my second computer after having
> remove KB891711 from my first computer. Currently, both computers are
> running KB888113 without issue. Oddly, the second computer runs KB891711
> without issue; only the first is choking on it.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 12:17:55 PM

The www site you have quoted refers to a problem that has nothing to do with
KB891711 - it's a problem that existed long before the security update was
released.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> Jerry Bryant,
>
> I do appreciate MS re-working this 891711 issue. Thank you to MS.
>
> Let me take this opportunity to ask you to pass this along as well in high
> hopes this problem will be addressed once and for all. It's a big problem
> for 9x users and I can't imagine it's anything but embarrassing for MS to
> leave this bug the way it is. We even have people making webpages talking
> about and trying to help people get around the problem.
> Please show this link to whomever is in charge as it outlines the problem
> I'm speaking of pretty well, which has been talked about in the 9x group
> for 2 years now, and so please ask them to finally fix what the problem
> is,
> please, thank you.
>
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm
>
> Rick
>

> Jerry Bryant [MSFT] wrote:
>> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
>> Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
>> confirm
>> these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>>
>> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
>> return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
>> of
>> customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in MS05-002
>> on
>> Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need additional
>> assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866) PCSAFETY. When
>> calling, please indicate that you are having issues with a security
>> update.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
>> Microsoft IT Communities
>>
>> Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

>> rights.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 1:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Then call PSS. It will be a free call.

John Corliss wrote:
> Noel Paton wrote:
>
>> John
>> could you please download and run Everest Home Edition
>> (www.lavalys.hu) and send me a full report? my email addy is valid.
>

> Hmm..... I use Aida, Everest's precursor. But a "full" report? That's
> giving you a whole lot of info, some of it stuff that I may not want
> anybody else to have. Heck, I don't even understand some of it and don't
> know whether or not I should provide it to others. And that's 84 pages
> of stuff to sift through in order to edit that info out...
>
> Sorry Noel, it's nice of you to offer to help and I mean no offense, but
> frankly I'd rather not do this.

--
An open letter to the Security Community::
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

The info I am aware of is that IE6 caused the problem, and IE6 SP1 remedied it. Did
you in fact actually upgrade to IE6 SP1 to see if there was an improvement?
--

"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Upgrading to IE 6 SP1 (or IE 6 by itself) is what resulted in that file copy
> and delete problem in the first place, for Win98 users! That's what
> Frank's DLL swapping solution resolves. (
> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm )
>
> I can bear testimony to that, cause that's where I'm at now. The only
> other alternative was to rollback to IE 5.5 SP2 - or just live with the
> problem, which I'm not willing to do.
>
> Rick T wrote:
> > As I recall, that doesn't work.
> >
> > Rick T
> >
> > Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> >> Why not upgrade to IE6 sp1?
> >>
> >> http://snipurl.com/4bgz

> the

> for
> least
> see

> MCSE,

> years;

> today
> onboard

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 2:05:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Did you try it yourself, or are you going on what someone else told you? Have you
installed IE6 SP1 yourself to see if it fixed the problem?
--

> As I recall, that doesn't work.
>
> Rick T
>
> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> > Why not upgrade to IE6 sp1?
> >
> > http://snipurl.com/4bgz
> >
> > Rick T wrote:

> >> No arguments there, but it's the only one that works. Having Explorer
> >> hang and crash is also not an option.
> >>
> >> Rick T

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 3:42:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I have IE 6 SP1, and the problem is there (or rather, was there, until I
"fixed" it).

I upgraded directly from IE 5.5 SP2, to IE 6 SP1.

glee wrote:
> The info I am aware of is that IE6 caused the problem, and IE6 SP1
remedied
> it. Did you in fact actually upgrade to IE6 SP1 to see if there was an
> improvement? --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Upgrading to IE 6 SP1 (or IE 6 by itself) is what resulted in that file
copy
>> and delete problem in the first place, for Win98 users! That's what
>> Frank's DLL swapping solution resolves. (
>> http://www.frankprovo.com/win98ie6filesproblem.htm )
>>
>> I can bear testimony to that, cause that's where I'm at now. The only
>> other alternative was to rollback to IE 5.5 SP2 - or just live with the
>> problem, which I'm not willing to do.
>>
>> Rick T wrote:
>>> As I recall, that doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Rick T

>> the

>> for
>> least
>> see

>> MCSE,

>> years;

>> today
>> onboard

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 7:22:28 PM

glee wrote:
> Did you try it yourself, or are you going on what someone else told you? Have you
> installed IE6 SP1 yourself to see if it fixed the problem?

I'm currently auditing Win2K, so I'm going by memory...

Installing IE6 caused that problem as well as what felt like a task
priorities problem (mouse would freeze for a few seconds occasionally)
.... and since SP1 is over a year old (and I only installed 2K last
month) I'm going to take it for granted that I tried it with SP1 with
the same result.

Rick T

P3, VIA Apollo+, 512MB
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 7:28:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Sources that I'm reading is that sp1 fixed it?

--
An open letter to the Security Community::
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 8:08:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I can understand that - send me what you feel comfortable with.
It's the hardware info, and the drivers that I'm most concerned with

--

> Noel Paton wrote:
>
>> John
>> could you please download and run Everest Home Edition (www.lavalys.hu)
>> and send me a full report? my email addy is valid.
>
> Hmm..... I use Aida, Everest's precursor. But a "full" report? That's
> giving you a whole lot of info, some of it stuff that I may not want
> anybody else to have. Heck, I don't even understand some of it and don't
> know whether or not I should provide it to others. And that's 84 pages of
> stuff to sift through in order to edit that info out...
>
> Sorry Noel, it's nice of you to offer to help and I mean no offense, but
> frankly I'd rather not do this.
>
> --
> Regards from John Corliss
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 8:26:25 PM

Rick T wrote:
> glee wrote:
>> Did you try it yourself, or are you going on what someone else told you?
>> Have you installed IE6 SP1 yourself to see if it fixed the problem?
>
> I'm currently auditing Win2K, so I'm going by memory...
>
> Installing IE6 caused that problem as well as what felt like a task
> priorities problem (mouse would freeze for a few seconds occasionally)
> ... and since SP1 is over a year old (and I only installed 2K last
> month) I'm going to take it for granted that I tried it with SP1 with
> the same result.

And as I said, it does it for me too (with SP1). (until I swapped out
those 2 DLLs, as already discussed in here)

> Rick T
>
> P3, VIA Apollo+, 512MB
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 8:34:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

NOPE!!!! Ain't so!

Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> Sources that I'm reading is that sp1 fixed it?
>
> Rick T wrote:
>> glee wrote:
>>
>>> Did you try it yourself, or are you going on what someone else told
>>> you? Have you
>>> installed IE6 SP1 yourself to see if it fixed the problem?
>>

>> I'm currently auditing Win2K, so I'm going by memory...
>>
>> Installing IE6 caused that problem as well as what felt like a task
>> priorities problem (mouse would freeze for a few seconds occasionally)
>> ... and since SP1 is over a year old (and I only installed 2K last
>> month) I'm going to take it for granted that I tried it with SP1 with
>> the same result.
>>

>> Rick T
>>
>> P3, VIA Apollo+, 512MB
>
> --
> An open letter to the Security Community::
> http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 10:26:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Jerry,

This issue absolutely affects Windows 2000 also.

"Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows 98,
> Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to confirm
> these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>
> Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
> return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
> of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
> MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
> additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
> PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues with a
> security update.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> Microsoft IT Communities

> rights.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 10:26:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Please call the number below and share your experience with MS Support.
I'm not sure they have sufficient data on this issue as it affects Win2K
systems. (Wait until Monday, OK?)

1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Earl" <brikshoe@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> Jerry,
>
> This issue absolutely affects Windows 2000 also.
>

> "Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98,
> > Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
confirm
> > these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
> >
> > Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine
will
> > return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not
aware
> > of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
> > MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
> > additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
> > PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues
with a
> > security update.
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
> > Microsoft IT Communities
> >
> > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

> > rights.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 11:10:33 PM

glee wrote:
> The info I am aware of is that IE6 caused the problem, and IE6 SP1 remedied it.

Cite.

thankyou
rpl

> Did
> you in fact actually upgrade to IE6 SP1 to see if there was an improvement?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 11:46:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I will do so Gary, but I'm quite shocked Microsoft decided to release this
"patch" to the WinME community in March after I had already posted about it
several times on the microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update forum since
they first released the patch for Win2k -- back in January (doesn't anyone
"upstairs" read the update forums???). All of my users have long ago
uninstalled KB891711 on their malfunctioning Win2k systems.

But releasing 891711 to WinME after it had known issues with Win2k ... well,
that was just throwing grease on the fire.

Read the following threads:

"Catastrophic OS failures with latest security updates" posted on 2/8/2005
"Strange spontanious reseting", posted on 2/8/2005
"Win2k and KB891711 a disaster", posted on 3/7/2005
"Which Updates to Install?", posted on 3/8/2005

> Please call the number below and share your experience with MS Support.
> I'm not sure they have sufficient data on this issue as it affects Win2K
> systems. (Wait until Monday, OK?)
>
> 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Earl" <brikshoe@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
>> Jerry,
>>
>> This issue absolutely affects Windows 2000 also.
>>

>> "Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
> 98,
>> > Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
> confirm
>> > these reports and are currently working on a resolution.
>> >
>> > Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine
> will
>> > return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not
> aware
>> > of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
>> > MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
>> > additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
>> > PCSAFETY. When calling, please indicate that you are having issues
> with a
>> > security update.
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Jerry Bryant - MCSE, MCDBA
>> > Microsoft IT Communities
>> >
>> > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

>> > rights.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 11:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I'll resist commenting on your report (not because I discount it, but
because additional comment isn't required, <s>.)

....Except to say that, no, MS does not normally monitor these
newsgroups. For such issues to find their way to the people who can do
something about them, it usually requires many calls to PSS by many,
*many* affected users, and/or an MVP or other Partner Level entity to
take up the cause and push hard to get attention for it. This particular
issue, as it relates to Win9x systems, had gone unnoticed by the people
who were in a position to do anything about it until, by happenstance, I
managed to drop a report into the right place from which others who are
in a position to do so managed to get it the attention it needed. And
even then, it took quite a bit of time for the people who actually
answer Support calls to get on board and quit giving erroneous advice
about the update.

--

news:o WSTO%23yMFHA.432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I will do so Gary, but I'm quite shocked Microsoft decided to release
this
> "patch" to the WinME community in March after I had already posted
about it
> several times on the microsoft.public.win2000.windows_update forum
since
> they first released the patch for Win2k -- back in January (doesn't
anyone
> "upstairs" read the update forums???). All of my users have long ago
> uninstalled KB891711 on their malfunctioning Win2k systems.
>
> But releasing 891711 to WinME after it had known issues with Win2k ...
well,
> that was just throwing grease on the fire.
>
> Read the following threads:
>
> "Catastrophic OS failures with latest security updates" posted on
2/8/2005
> "Strange spontanious reseting", posted on 2/8/2005
> "Win2k and KB891711 a disaster", posted on 3/7/2005
> "Which Updates to Install?", posted on 3/8/2005

> > Please call the number below and share your experience with MS
Support.
> > I'm not sure they have sufficient data on this issue as it affects
Win2K
> > systems. (Wait until Monday, OK?)
> >
> > 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338)
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Earl" <brikshoe@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
> >> Jerry,
> >>
> >> This issue absolutely affects Windows 2000 also.
> >>

> >> "Jerry Bryant [MSFT]" <jbryant@online.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
Windows
> > 98,
> > confirm

> > will
> > aware
> > with a

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 11:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

You MUST get the feedback to the 'right' place and that place is PSS.

Issues with a patch are a free call and it's imperative that you not
just post here, but call at 866-PCSafety and indicate that the security
patch is causing you issues.

--
An open letter to the Security Community::
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 27, 2005 11:46:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

http://www.winserverkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windows-2000-...

Earl... understand this .. patches only get released on the second
Tuesday of the month, thus there were no patches on 1/25

I'd still call into PSS, but I have not seen enough traffic on any of
the patching forums I monitor to see an across the board problem with
Windows 2000 and this patch.

--
An open letter to the Security Community::
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 28, 2005 12:12:02 AM

> ...Except to say that, no, MS does not normally monitor these
> newsgroups.

They do, mon capitain, they most certainly do.

I have seen the help wanted ads which confirm this,
in which Microsoft has advertised for people
to monitor newsgroups and provide reports
to management on issues which are determined
to be significant enough to warrant escalation.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 28, 2005 12:18:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Could you be more specific about those sources?

"Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:%23mVOoSyMFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Sources that I'm reading is that sp1 fixed it?
>
> Rick T wrote:
> > glee wrote:
> >
> >> Did you try it yourself, or are you going on what someone else told
> >> you? Have you
> >> installed IE6 SP1 yourself to see if it fixed the problem?
> >

> > I'm currently auditing Win2K, so I'm going by memory...
> >
> > Installing IE6 caused that problem as well as what felt like a task
> > priorities problem (mouse would freeze for a few seconds occasionally)
> > ... and since SP1 is over a year old (and I only installed 2K last
> > month) I'm going to take it for granted that I tried it with SP1 with
> > the same result.
> >

> > Rick T
> >
> > P3, VIA Apollo+, 512MB
>
> --
> An open letter to the Security Community::
> http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 28, 2005 12:18:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Fellow MVPs that are veterans of 98 support forums.

Ivan Bútora wrote:
> Could you be more specific about those sources?
>
> "Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:%23mVOoSyMFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>
>>Sources that I'm reading is that sp1 fixed it?
>>
>>Rick T wrote:

>>>I'm currently auditing Win2K, so I'm going by memory...
>>>
>>>Installing IE6 caused that problem as well as what felt like a task
>>>priorities problem (mouse would freeze for a few seconds occasionally)
>>>... and since SP1 is over a year old (and I only installed 2K last
>>>month) I'm going to take it for granted that I tried it with SP1 with
>>>the same result.
>>>

>>>Rick T
>>>
>>>P3, VIA Apollo+, 512MB
>>
>>--
>>An open letter to the Security Community::
>>http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx

--
An open letter to the Security Community::
http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 28, 2005 12:28:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Reports from others that had the problem with IE6 and no longer had it with SP1,
including computers where I work.
--

> glee wrote:
> > The info I am aware of is that IE6 caused the problem, and IE6 SP1 remedied it.
>
> Cite.
>

> thankyou
> rpl
>

> > Did
> > you in fact actually upgrade to IE6 SP1 to see if there was an improvement?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 28, 2005 12:31:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Bill, Obviously it ain't so on all systems, as you can show that the problem
occurred post SP1, but there is also obviously another factor or factors involved,
as the majority of users are *not* experiencing any of the symptoms after installing
SP1, and the problem only existed for some users on the original IE6. The problem
is in tracking down what those "other factors" might be that are combining to cause
the problem only on some machines.
--

news:o gKgPWyMFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> NOPE!!!! Ain't so!
>
> Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP] wrote:
> > Sources that I'm reading is that sp1 fixed it?
> >
> > Rick T wrote:

> >> I'm currently auditing Win2K, so I'm going by memory...
> >>
> >> Installing IE6 caused that problem as well as what felt like a task
> >> priorities problem (mouse would freeze for a few seconds occasionally)
> >> ... and since SP1 is over a year old (and I only installed 2K last
> >> month) I'm going to take it for granted that I tried it with SP1 with
> >> the same result.
> >>

> >> Rick T
> >>
> >> P3, VIA Apollo+, 512MB
> >
> > --
> > An open letter to the Security Community::
> > http://msmvps.com/bradley/archive/2004/12/12/23540.aspx

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 28, 2005 12:31:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Do we have a good, qualified, database of people who are using Win98SE and
IE 6 SP1, and who know their systems well enough to know if the problem
exists for them or not?

!