MaxBlast or SeaTools?

Just bought a new Seagate hard drive and want to replace my smaller
Maxtor with it. I was considering using the SeaTools to do the
transfer but have never used this software. I have however used the
MaxBlast to do the drive swap. Are the SeaTools easier to use for this
purpose. When reading the SeaTools instructions, it did not seem to
say anything about making a clone of your old hard drive onto your new
one.

Thanks

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ldbrw@my-Dejanews.com wrote:

> Just bought a new Seagate hard drive and want to replace my smaller
> Maxtor with it. I was considering using the SeaTools to do the
> transfer but have never used this software. I have however used the
> MaxBlast to do the drive swap. Are the SeaTools easier to use for this
> purpose. When reading the SeaTools instructions, it did not seem to
> say anything about making a clone of your old hard drive onto your new
> one.
>
> Thanks

Just a thought, but one of the best things I did was to buy
imaging software. I use Drive Image 2002 and it will clone
drives and do a backup as well. I bought a removeable
hard drive mobile rack and backed up my new drive
to my old drive which is now removable, and also
backup to a second partition on the new drive.
If you tinker alot, it's a real timesaver.

jaster

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:00:01 -0700, )-()-( wrote:

> ldbrw@my-Dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> Just bought a new Seagate hard drive and want to replace my smaller
>> Maxtor with it. I was considering using the SeaTools to do the transfer
>> but have never used this software. I have however used the MaxBlast to
>> do the drive swap. Are the SeaTools easier to use for this purpose.
>> When reading the SeaTools instructions, it did not seem to say anything
>> about making a clone of your old hard drive onto your new one.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Just a thought, but one of the best things I did was to buy imaging
> software. I use Drive Image 2002 and it will clone drives and do a backup
> as well. I bought a removeable hard drive mobile rack and backed up my new
> drive to my old drive which is now removable, and also backup to a second
> partition on the new drive. If you tinker alot, it's a real timesaver.

Here's the thing. I moved from 80gig to a 160gig using SeaTools
for WinXP rather than the DOS diskette version. Everything moved but I
did have minor problems with a few apps. 90% of the data and programs
worked no problem. Both hd were dual boot, 3 partition systems.

ldbrw@my-Dejanews.com wrote in

> Just bought a new Seagate hard drive and want to replace my smaller
> Maxtor with it. I was considering using the SeaTools to do the
> transfer but have never used this software. I have however used the
> MaxBlast to do the drive swap. Are the SeaTools easier to use for this
> purpose. When reading the SeaTools instructions, it did not seem to
> say anything about making a clone of your old hard drive onto your new
> one.
>
> Thanks

Don't use Maxtor's tools with a Seagate drive. Use the manufacturers tools
or use a good third party tool like Drive Image or Ghost. I prefer Drive
Image.

In article says...
> Just bought a new Seagate hard drive and want to replace my smaller
> Maxtor with it. I was considering using the SeaTools to do the
> transfer but have never used this software. I have however used the
> MaxBlast to do the drive swap. Are the SeaTools easier to use for this
> purpose. When reading the SeaTools instructions, it did not seem to
> say anything about making a clone of your old hard drive onto your new
> one.

Clue is in the name.

Maxblast will only work for Maxtor drives. Seatools will only work for
Seagate drives. Each will let you clone other drives to it but not the
other way round.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

jaster

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:24:29 +0000, Conor wrote:

> In article says...
>> Just bought a new Seagate hard drive and want to replace my smaller
>> Maxtor with it. I was considering using the SeaTools to do the transfer
>> but have never used this software. I have however used the MaxBlast to
>> do the drive swap. Are the SeaTools easier to use for this purpose.
>> When reading the SeaTools instructions, it did not seem to say anything
>> about making a clone of your old hard drive onto your new one.
>>
> Clue is in the name.
>
> Maxblast will only work for Maxtor drives. Seatools will only work for
> Seagate drives. Each will let you clone other drives to it but not the
> other way round.

Not true I've used both on other manufacturer's drives WD, Seagate and
Maxtor. They all recognize each other's drives.

HNY

jad

I believe that's true. Not entirely sure about Seagate's tools, but
max and WD will see each other. As Conor said rather hard-line, there
are functions that don't work, and the RMA diagnostics must be done
from the OEM's tools.

"jaster" <jaster@home.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:24:29 +0000, Conor wrote:
>
> > In article says...
> >> Just bought a new Seagate hard drive and want to replace my
smaller
> >> Maxtor with it. I was considering using the SeaTools to do the
transfer
> >> but have never used this software. I have however used the
MaxBlast to
> >> do the drive swap. Are the SeaTools easier to use for this
purpose.
> >> When reading the SeaTools instructions, it did not seem to say
anything
> >> about making a clone of your old hard drive onto your new one.
> >>
> > Clue is in the name.
> >
> > Maxblast will only work for Maxtor drives. Seatools will only work
for
> > Seagate drives. Each will let you clone other drives to it but not
the
> > other way round.
>

> Not true I've used both on other manufacturer's drives WD, Seagate
and
> Maxtor. They all recognize each other's drives.
>
> HNY

Conor:

> Clue is in the name.
>
> Maxblast will only work for Maxtor drives.

Maxblast will work on any brand drive, but you must have a Maxtor drive
installed for it to work.
--
Mac Cool

Yep, that is what I used and had no problem with it. Thanks to all.