registry

Where can I go to ensure that programs do not show a splash screen?

Such settings are usually an option within the application involved.
Failing that it is possible that you will find a NoSplash or similar value
within the application's registry settings which are likely to be found at
either or both of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\<Software House>
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\<Software House>
where <Software House> would be the name of the software house involved
such as Microsoft, Corel, Adobe or Ahead, etc.

If located setting NoSplash to = 1 (that is to true) should disable the
opening splash screen whereas if the value located is named Splash then
setting it = 0 (false) might be what is required.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Spooner? <elitespooner@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Where can I go to ensure that programs do not show a splash screen?

That comes as no surprise to me. <g> In some cases you actually need to
add a value such as NoSplash and set = 1 or alternatively carefully scan
the various options and preferences available within the application.
Since I don't know the application involved I'm sorry but I can't help
further and even if I knew the application it's quite possible that I
wouldn't know how to disable the opening splash.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

spooner <elitespooner@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Couldnt locate the value on any of the programs.

Here is the process for OE:
Open Regedit
Open HKEY-CURRENT-USER
Click the + sign next to Identities
Click the + sign next to long string of numbers and letters
....again for Software, Microsoft and Outlook Express
....should see version number, click on version or folder next to it.

Now see lots of text in right hand pane. Right click in the blank area,
select New and then DWORD value. Type nosplash. Now right-click the word
and click Modify. Enter a 1 in the Value Data box. Click OK and close
Regedit.
Here is the process for Zone Alarm:
SPLASH SCREEN / POPUP REMOVAL

Find the shortcut which runs ZoneAlarm, right click it, select
Properties, and add the "-nosplash" option (without the quotes) to the
end of the command. If ZA runs automatically when Windows Me starts,
you can find the shortcut by using Start | Run | Msconfig | Startup.

On my system, the shortcut is in the common startup group at:

c:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ZoneAlarm

Parameters generally go outside the quotes, which just delineate the full
filename. So what I have here is

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nopopup -nosplash

As you can readily see, the processes are entirely different. As Mike
said, without knowing the application in question, it is difficult, nay,
impossible to render a solution and, even with the name of the app, it may
not be feasible.
Heirloom, old and some things just have to be seen

> That comes as no surprise to me. <g> In some cases you actually need to
> add a value such as NoSplash and set = 1 or alternatively carefully scan
> the various options and preferences available within the application.
> Since I don't know the application involved I'm sorry but I can't help
> further and even if I knew the application it's quite possible that I
> wouldn't know how to disable the opening splash.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> spooner <elitespooner@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Couldnt locate the value on any of the programs.

Spooner

Well we have pop up blockers for everything else these days.

Seems when I start the computer I get bombarded with adverts without
even getting into the net.

Im having trouble with the McAfee one in particular.

They have told me to create a .reg file, however, Ive double clicked on
it and get a confirmation its gone to the registry, however, still
remains.

Would like to go to the registry itself.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:26:45 GMT,elitespooner@hotmail.com (Spooner?) penned
this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> Where can I go to ensure that programs do not show a splash screen?

Adobe used to hide these under File>Preferences. I think Some other
graphics progs were in similar spots, some music progs too.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

Mike

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:21:45 GMT,"spooner" <elitespooner@hotmail.com>
penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> thanks

Welcome!

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike

You probably created the .reg file incorrectly.
The most common error is not having a blank line at the end.

If you want to go to the Registry itself, then surely the .reg file
has the necessary information for you to do that.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "spooner"
<elitespooner@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Im having trouble with the McAfee one in particular.
>
>They have told me to create a .reg file, however, Ive double clicked on
>it and get a confirmation its gone to the registry, however, still
>remains.
>
>Would like to go to the registry itself.

TRENDING THREADS