New MB help

I currently have a KR7A 133 by abit- some basd things happend and it
wont power up anymore. I even tried replacing the cpu and psu. I think
the posts are fried. My question is IF I get a new MB from a different
vendor will the currnt HDD work?

What's your OS?

If it's XP, see:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

If you have a retail copy of XP (or a retail XP upgrade CD with "qualifying
media"), you ought to be OK to do the required repair installation. If you
have an OEM copy or no copy at all, things will be more problematic.

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

snic68@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (Taver) wrote:

>I currently have a KR7A 133 by abit- some basd things happend and it
>wont power up anymore. I even tried replacing the cpu and psu. I think
>the posts are fried. My question is IF I get a new MB from a different
>vendor will the currnt HDD work?

Posts?

If the hard disk drive is good, it probably will work with any
mainboard. As far as I know, the only concern is like if you have a
SATA hard disk drive and you get a mainboard which does not support
SATA.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If your HDD doesn't work with the new mother board, you could put your
HDD in other computer as a slave. You then could get all important
files off of it, and then wipe the drive and do a clean install. It
would take some extra time but you won't lose your files.

thank you all for the responces.

the pc is home made. the OS is XP upgraded from w98 SE. It is a couple
years old. to John Doe I was under the impression that the posts are
the things you hook all the power and reset from the case too.

I was going to replace the Abit kr7a 1333 MB with a K266a chipset to a
chaintech MB with teh same chipset.

I am just hoping the HDD will work on the chaintech MB with out alot
of headaches.